Join Strat-Talk Today

Trem upgrades for 96 MIM

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guyshomenet, May 17, 2019.

1. guyshomenet

guyshomenet New Member!

I have a 96/97 MIM Strat and have decided (like many people) the tremolo hardware is kinda crappy. So I'm searching for a drop-in upgrade that stabilizes tuning (the saddles on the origin al wander a bit) and maybe adds to the tone.

1) Any real-world experience with the Wilkinson Contemporary 6 Hole Tremolo (SKU: WVPCSB)? The price and features are on-the-mark, but I'm finding a dearth of customer reviews.

2) Assuming a $100 pain point, what are some good alternatives, knowing that I'm not going to rework the body?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That Wilkinson will not fit, assuming you have the MIM Standard witth 2 1/16" mount spacing.....the Wilkinson you asked about is 2 7/32" mount spacing....

I would just get a post 2006 big block MIM Standard tremolo for like $30, you can even re-use the arm....

saddles will not move if the trem is setup properly, and tuning stability on your original 97 bridge should be great if it's setup right.....the same will apply with whatever new one you buy....

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

4. guyshomenet

guyshomenet New Member!

Thanks for the save. Indeed, the ruler says I have a 2 1/16th space.

What changes to the post-2006 tremolo did Fender do that makes it a "good enough" upgrade?

5. Chasy

Chasy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

The only change is a bigger block. It is a tonal change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.