Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tremolo Arm Spring?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Baker69, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Baker69

Baker69 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK
    Hi guys,

I haven't removed the silver-coloured sticker yet which covers the hole for the Tremolo Arm on my new 2016 American Standard Series Strat, I saw a You Tube video whereby a guy removed the sticker and there was small spring which was loose behind it, he turned the guitar over, shook out the spring and then re-inserted saying that the spring was there to help hold the Arm in place once it has been screwed in and that it would be a loose fit without the spring.

(Assuming) there is a spring behind the sticker on my Strat, do you have to remove and re-fit the spring every time you use the Tremolo Arm? From what I saw on the video there doesn't seem to be anything to keep the spring in place and that it would probably fall out and get lost.

2. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    You’re right, there is nothing to keep it in place. The trem arm on my Strat is rarely removed so it’s not a problem.

I’ve heard of people using a little dab of Vaseline on the spring to keep it place.

I have a bag of spare springs in my box of clutter, I think you can buy 10 for a £3.50. Not a bad item to have lying around or in your gig bag.

3. Baker69

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK
    Thanks for the quick response.

I keep my Strat in its case so I would need to remove the Tremolo (and spring) each time, unless as you suggest using a bit of Vaseline or something just to stop the spring from falling out!

4. Whittler

Whittler Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2013
    Maine
    You should be able to leave the trem arm on and just position it so when you close the case it won't interfere. I leave mine on and do it that way, no problem.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I took my trem arm to the hardware store and found a machine screw with the same thread. I put the spring in the trem and screw in the machine screw. I usually hard-tail or block the trems anyway but this way I know the spring is always with the guitar and it looks more finished than having a gaping hole there.

owenmoney likes this.

6. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-Talker

There are cases like SKB that won't close with the arm in the guitar.

7. Baker69

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK
    Very good idea and worth looking into, thanks.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    for those of ya that are concerned about such things...

at most Swimming pool supplies stores you can buy a small jar of silicone based grease.. it's normally used to lubricate the "O" rings in the swimming pool filtration circuit... it's inert won't hurt anything . . but it's thick and gooey enough to hold springs in little holes... so put a dab on the end of a tooth pick.. goop up the hole, drop in the spring and screw the tremolo arm in... next time you remove it, and forget the spring.. nada big deal.. it's still be there when you do.

Ron Kirn

Twelve8, Electgumbo and vid1900 like this.