Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tremolo Setup - Springs Question

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by davidos, Dec 18, 2017.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    I got those on one of my partsocasters. Interesting. They are a lot "looser" feeling than my vintage ones, which I thought was funny, as they talk about how they are supposed to be like the vintage ones. But I like them fine, I did find I needed 4 at least. Not as stiff as the old ones.

2. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talker

May 24, 2017
    USA
    4 or 5 springs with 10s on it depending on how much play bending-- 4 have to be screwed tauter so actually are stiffer than 5. 5 with 11s or more. Floating. Springs straight and not Christmas Tree shape. Plate should be 1/8in or 3mm (or a little less, maybe) off the deck. I use a Big Stubby 3mm stuck under it to gauge the height. The tops of the saddles should be parallel with the body, although the G string saddle might have to be just a little taller than the others. Saddles should be staggered flat and not canted to the side, although maybe the Es on the ends could be slightly. 1.5-2mm action at the 12th fret.

3. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talker

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    And that would be the only reason for doing that :D

ripgtr likes this.

4. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2010
    USA
    Your springs probably have "work hardened" over the years ..

5. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    They are looser feeling than my new springs I had in that guitar before them. Kind of the consensus, if you you 3 springs and put in Real Vintage ones, you are probably going to use 4.
    The old guitar was actually decked when I got it in '76 and I played it that way for probably another 10 years. When I did start floating it, it felt pretty much the same as it does now. I don't think that is it, actually.