Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Trippy

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by Godiva, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:46 PM.

1. Godiva

Godiva Strat-Talk Member

May 11, 2016
    Michigan
    I have been thinking & practicing & trying to put some of the advice I have been given to good use.
    Not so much about the chord tones here but about letting it breathe & trying to avoid wrong notes while making it somewhat melodic. I am trying to play with feeling as well. I think I made some slight improvement. Take a listen, any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Tone is not my favorite :)

https://app.box.com/s/ma0n7vxsfi4y2tr9emgifqwd7inhu3wb

Oh & I tried to play fast over slow & that was not pretty & was deleted. I can't quite get the hang of that & get the timing right. Suggestions?

tery, vlxerdon and Mouse like this.

2. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Sounds good to me :).

I liked how you made use of multiple octaves...you started in the higher register in the beginning and then backed down into the lower register. You are also ending your phrases on "good notes" which ties it in nicely with the BT to my ears.

My suggestion to improve what you have would be to think about creating an arc. It could be something like start really sparse and mellow, build it up in the middle, and go back to sparse and mellow for the end. Speed isn't the only way to "build up". Somewhere in the middle, kick in an overdrive, use more bends, dig in with the pick more...those sorts of things. An easy way to manage the overdrive thing is to dial in a tone with some edge to it...then roll back the volume control on your guitar. Your volume control is now your "dirt control".

I struggle with this...I always want to turn to speed for "more drama"...but speed isn't in my toolbox. It's not easy...I am usually mindful of trying to create an arc, but I don't always hit the mark...many times it's laughable!

vlxerdon and Mouse like this.

3. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Very nice G. Your melody lines could just as easily have been vocal lines which is I think what we strive for. To add to what Squid is suggesting, another "drama" technique I like to use is to climb up the neck on one string and usually end on a bend. The ascending notes act as a nice transition to your new position on the neck and you can now solo for a bit in the upper register. I like to eventually return back to home base once I've said my piece up there.

Well done!

4. nungesser

nungesser down in the bayou down around El Cerrito Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    cool! I have know idea what i'm doing when I play. I'm just here for the listening, sounds great well done

5. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Making music is like dancing, if you move to the rhythm anything works.

Phrase while matching the time segments and anything fits.

Tap your foot or stand and move your body to the beat. make your phrase the same as your dance move timing if that makes sense.

Tommy Emmanuel says his everything comes from his foot tapping and is his time keeper.

6. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Playing less is always a good idea and one that's really hard to grasp. You did a nice job leaving some space. As for chord tones you can't create melody without them. You can use the Cm scale very effectively here in this Am progression. C D E F G A B - C is the minor 3rd of Am right, F is Minor third of Dm. 1/2 step below that is E your v chord also the 5th of Am as A is of Dm and B of Em. Forgive me if you understand all this. As for playing with feeling, TIME is number one. Dynamics are important. soft/hard, in between, vibrato, bends, hammer on's pull offs, they're just technique that can be practiced rigorously until they start to creep into your playing, you'll intuitively find places to use them. I heard a nice in pitch bend in your track.

Keep at it. Mastering music takes quite some time. I don't think there are any of us who think we have, whatever our level of skill.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 6:18 PM

7. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Sweet and moody ... like being in a smoky film noir nightclub :cool: