Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tube Screamer TS808 v. TS9

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by DosMIMstrats, Jun 11, 2011.

1. DosMIMstrats

DosMIMstrats Strat-Talker

Is there any difference, beside the price and appearance, between the Tube Screamer TS808 and TS9?

Or does it just depend on what I'm looking for? :p

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

Well if you're looking at new pedals go for the Ts808 or the Maxon OD9 are more like the originals tube screamer.

3. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

I believe the 808 and the 9 use different chips?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Steve!

Steve! Strat-Talker

The Maxons are much better then the current Ibanez ones
    Maxon made them for Ibanez in the "golden days" of the Tubescreamer

6. DosMIMstrats

The Maxon seems to sell for roughly 80% more on average. Worth the extra dough in your opinion? Or just paying for the word "Maxon" to be painted on it?

7. DosMIMstrats

I just discovered that, for only a few dollars more than the Maxon, I can get the Ibanez TSA15H Amp Head for $300. That might be kinda cool.

8. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I think it's more of a "Dark Chocolate" or "Milk Chocolate" debate. Ford v. Chevy. Fender v. Gib... nah. We all know which is the better of those two. :D

9. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't think there is all that much difference in the circuits. I've modded my TS-9 to an 808 and it only involved a few tiny components. The chips don't make as much difference as the resistor values.

Maxon, Ibanez (stay away from the 7s and 10s), others, it don't matter much. They all have decent enough circuits. It really depends on the sound you want.

10. DosMIMstrats

Cool, so basically there ain't much of a diff...

I'm sort of going through an anti-pedal phase these days anyway. The only pedal I've found that does anything to help my sound is a Seymour Duncan pickup boost that I run through my FX loop on one of my Mesa amps, and I think it only helps that because of some oddity about it being a parallel loop or something. I dunno.

11. rcole_sooner

There always is, but you might like a different one than somebody else.

I can say the TS-9 is way better than the TS-7. After that the difference is more of a preference. I got an OCD on one board and my TS-9 on another. I like them both, but they are different.

As for using pedals or not, it just depends on what effects you are looking for. If it is just a warm driven signal, then amps can do that pretty well.

In my case I wanna go from very clean to warm driven, and a ton of other places, so pedals help me get there.

12. DosMIMstrats

You've given me some good tips here. I have an EHX English Muff'n I think I'll goof around with first. I've heard so much about Tube Screamers it makes me want to give it a try. Maybe I'll also look into one of those Keeley modded ones. Those get pretty good reviews.

13. AllroyPA

Watch Ebay for something that ends midday, they usually go for less than the ones that end at 10PM ... lol

14. bbmyers

bbmyers Strat-Talker

Are there different vintage TS-9's ?

15. rcole_sooner

16. Carlsoti

What M/B do you have?

17. DosMIMstrats

I have a 2007 Triple Recto and a 2006 F-50. The Triple has a weird parrallel FX loop that I don't completely understand. I read some stuff from a guy named Tony McKenzie and he said that it sounds GREAT with either a Tube Screamer or a Seymour Duncan pickup boost in the FX loop. I happened to have the SD pickup boost, so I tried it and he was right, it sounds great in there. He really talks up the virtues of having the TS in the FX loop of the Triple, so I'm aching to give it a try.

But, I might have a more pressing need.... About ten minutes ago, the Triple started cutting out and sounding like *%$#. I think I'm gonna need some fresh tubes before I do anything else, and that alone will set me back more than the price of the Screamer I'm afraid.

The F-50 is a great amp. Wouldn't trade it for anything. The clean channel on it sounds so great I can't even describe it.

You have a Mesa amp??

18. abracadabra

abracadabra stationcalling? Strat-Talk Supporter

just out of curiosity, are you talking about new pedals or used? here a new Maxon OD-9 is cheaper than a TS-9.

19. DosMIMstrats

New, but I just took a quick glance at online prices. Maybe I should take another look.

20. Carlsoti

I've got the Rocket 44. The predecessor to the "F" amps. I also ADORE the clean channel, though I'd be happier with a 15" in an open backed cab. I've never tried a TS in the effects loop (Mine is also a parallel) I typically put the TS9DX on the front end, and a Morely wah and Danelectro 18v Chorus in the effects loop. I tend to use the TS more as a "clean boost" when I use it with the MB, as the amp will get dirty if I dial it in. I get into the dirt of the pedal when I use it on my EVJ or the Kay 703, as the KAY doesn't do dirt at all.

FWIW, our power out here is really dirty, which is weird because we've got Palo Verde nearby, and a ton of Hydro electric around us. Voltage swings can be close to 40V between the day and night in the summer. It's really not good for Tube amps. Talk to your amp tech about it.

The guy I had refurb my Kay 703C runs his Twin on a VariAC. He was an engineering tech at Rockford Fosgate. When I noticed, I said something about "the brown sound" and early clipping. That's when he filled me in on our dirty power, and a few ways to get around it.

21. AllroyPA

Wow what a good dude you are Carlsoti ... :!: