Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tuner pedal vs clip on

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Stormy Monday, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I am starting to reconfigure my pedal board. Any advantage in using a pedal tuner vs clip ons. I don't gig. I jam with some guys a couple times a week.

Gracias

2. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Dec 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Tuner pedals are way more convenient, at least for me.

jeremy blaze, circles and Luecack like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Pedals mute and aren't affected by their surroundings.

fezz parka, irie, Nate D and 2 others like this.
  4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    I'm using a Polytune clip-on right now but I'm going to switch to a pedal tuner for the reasons stated in the 2 previous post by DIYrocker & Thrup'ny Bit

DIYrocker likes this.
  5. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    clip-on at home and pedal on pedalboard for gigs and jams.

Electgumbo likes this.
  6. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I use a tuner pedal... that way it can also be used as a mute/kill switch while playing live.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Strat-O-Master

Apr 21, 2014
    Omaha
    I've compared clip-ons to pedals and found no real difference as they all seem to agree with one another.
    I've freed up some pedal board space by using a clip-on.

8. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    If you've got a nitro lacquer finished neck/headstock don't use a Snark clip-on or comparable tuner with rubber pads on the clip. It'll discolor the spot it clips on to.

Jesse414 likes this.
  9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    I only used a pedal tuner when gigging and mainly as a mute. For home or jams clip on is fine and you have a mute built in to the guitar, the vol knob. Also a clip on will not harm nitro unless you leave it on all the time. I leave them on my nitro finished Strats, Les Paul and Martins for 2-3 hour jam sessions and have never had a problem. However I tend to tune up then remove the thing. From there you should be able to tune back any strings that go flat or sharp a bit just by ear.

10. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    somewhere
    what got this started was,, last night the guys were over to jam. My strat with the Clapton Mid boost TBX installed started fading out. I picked up another guitar and my clip on tuner wouldn't work with the other guys/guitar playing. So I started looking for a solution to avoid this happening again.

jeremy blaze likes this.
  11. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I use a Boss TU-3 pedal for my single coil guitars. All of my guitars with humbuckers have a Shadow humbucker ring tuner installed. Thes nothing more convenient IMO. They even work with the volume turned all the way off of they are wired correctly.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Namelyguitar, circles, albala and 3 others like this.
  12. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I use clip on simply because I have three and no tuner pedals. When I gigged, I used a multi-effects unit where I just hit a button and looked down. I will probably get a pedal one sometime, but have developed a wife-induced allergy to spending money.

Polarbear likes this.
  13. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talk Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Massachussetts
    Yeah at home I use the clip on, I practice often unamplified and it obviously still works in that instance. At a gig it's a pedal all the way. Its not only good for the kill switch aspect, but I don't like the look of the clip-on on the headstock for some reason.

Bob the builder and Miotch like this.
  14. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Clip on tuner looks terribly tacky to me.
    They also don't seem to work for me in a noisy environment (at a gig for instance).
    I have a tuner on my meager little pedal board, it's all i trust.

At home i use the app on my phone.

15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    Mine does the same thing when the other guitarsist in my band is playing, if it’s a jam my solution is to tell him to shut up for a second, which usually leads to him realizing he’s out of tune as well. For a gig I would definitely use a pedal tuner. However as I said if you’re in tune to start unless you go nuts with the whammy or your guitar is poorly setup you really should not be so far out of tune you cannot get it back by ear.

Silvercrow likes this.
  16. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Pedal. Very convenient and it doesn't pickup extraneous noise.

17. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    That's neat

Believer7713 likes this.
  18. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    PEDAL. For the reasons listed above!

I love my Sonic Research turbo tuner. Small footprint. FASTEST tuner I ever used. As fast as you can play the notes they register. (I'm sure it wouldn't work if I were Van Halen or Vai...LOL)

Accurate enough for intonation. My luthier says his Sonic is on par with his Peterson strobe.

$125.00 USA made. Built like a brick. No, I'm not an endorsee, but a VERY happy customer.

Brian

Strat Jacket and Believer7713 like this.
  19. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    Polytune 3 pedal for electric - I always play plugged in, even at very low volumes. Clip on for my acoustics, which I almost never plug in. I have Emeralds with their offset soundholes and generally use one of the little D’Adarrio tuners with the little nub cut off and mounted to the soundhole with a bit of dual lock...

20. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Tried a Clip on vs pedal tuner, no real difference.

Id say use a clip, less crap on the board cleaner signal, less capacitance loss, better tone.