Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Uh oh... (trem problem)

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by 0utputXfmr, Jan 11, 2019.

1. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Strat-Talk Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Okay, so here goes.

I'm a proud owner of 2 Squier Standard Fat Strats-- one in Candy Apple Red, one in Metallic Black.

They have the 22-fret neck, CBS-shape headstock, and 2-point tremolo.

I just opened the case containing my red one to find that one of the studs mounting the tremolo is coming up (as in, out of the body). Has this happened to anyone else? What can be done about it?

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Pull the pickguard and see if the body has been cracked at that stud. A couple pictures will also help.

Lovnmesomestrat and Groovey like this.
  3. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 9, 2014
    Dumpster diving
    Pull the stud out and dowel the hole and re-drill it.

Groovey likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-O-Master

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    Can you send it back and get a refund?

5. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Strat-Talk Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    welp...

In full disclosure, I did take the head of my screwdriver and scratch away some of the paint to see if the crack was just in the paint, or if it was in the wood. The crack looked a lot more subtle-- barely more than a hairline-- before I scraped away some of the paint.

The crack is definitely in the wood.

On the bright side, I learned that the body has an H-S-H pickup routing, which I wasn't expecting, so that was kind of cool, I guess. And I now have spare parts for my black strat, which is my main axe anyway...

20190111_234528_HDR_resized_1.jpg

Jesse414 and vid1900 like this.
  6. Jesse414

Jesse414 Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I would put some good woodfiller-putty in the hole and put a 6 screw vintage trem on it. Screw them down and block it. Then you got a working guitar. just can't use a trem bar on it:D

Groovey likes this.
  7. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    The good news is that it is repairable. The caveat is that you will only be able to use the trem fir what it was really meant for... warbles and vibrato. NO DRIVE BOMBS and you will be out of a guitar for a while. It's also not a repair that i would recommend for a beginner, no offense but i don't know your background, so if the guitar is sentimental then take it to a reputable luthier which will probably cost more than another body, not a tech. Also know that you will more than likely have a spot in the paint that noticeably will not match.
    If there is no sentiment involved then either get another guitar or another body and build a partscaster.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cobra likes this.
  8. Cobra

Cobra Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Florida
    I am still learning about the electric guitar and frequent a few forums to expand my knowledge. With that being said-
    So if I read you right it is OK to use the tremolo even if it is screwed down tight in hardtail fashion? Just as long as I don’t go to excess?

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    It should work as long as the 6 mounting screws aren't too tight....but in a hardtail decked setup....you can't expect the guitar to be in tune after using it .....

10. Cobra

Cobra Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Florida
    Maybe I said that wrong(remember I’m still learning).
    The six screws are tight I think (I can’t check either I’m a 1,000 miles from my guitars). I do know this though. If I pull or push on the arm nothing really moves at the bridge. I don’t really pull or push to hard just a slight movement giving the note a slight warble. Is this acceptable to do this or am I going to have some failure at the bridge?

11. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You won't have failure at the bridge

Cobra likes this.
  12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    push the brass bushing back down flush with the body and wick in some superglue into the crack in between the bushing and the wood and it will seep down and lock it back in place.

fill it up with superglue and let it sit for a day.

13. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    This guitar doesn't have the six screw configuration...it has the two stud mount. With this setup you will have to have the body repaired otherwise it will continuously pull out plus the body will continue to crack under the tension of the strings. you will either need to replace the body or have this one repaired before being able to use it again. If you choose to repair it then dive bombing will be out of the question if that's what you are into. If your not into dive bombing and only want to use it for vibrato then after the repair it can be used as normal.

14. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    @Cobra is not the OP, he was asking about another Strat?

Believer7713 likes this.
  15. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Ok, I missed that part. But I don't see mention of a six screw bridge from him until your post on my end. I am either completely missing something or am blind. Lol
    Please excuse me.

Lovnmesomestrat and Cobra like this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I neglected to ask! So thanks! We'll find out

Lovnmesomestrat and Cobra like this.
  17. Cobra

Cobra Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Florida
    E9B292C3-1E46-456C-9AC0-3966DA5BBD8A.jpeg 340F339E-1597-4E7C-86EF-ABE347EE07C8.jpeg FDE58C70-702C-46ED-9FB1-A11672B8B036.jpeg
    All three of them have the screws completely tightened.
    I’m really not interested in doing dive bombs at this point so...can I still use the trem for warbles?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  18. Cobra

Cobra Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Florida
    No harm, no foul my friend. Please excuse me I’m new to the electric guitar and I’m learning something new about their makeup everyday.

Thanks for your earlier replay. See the pictures above of the bridges.

Lovnmesomestrat and Believer7713 like this.
  19. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US