Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

UK Roguestock March 10th 2018 attendance list

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by s5tuart, Sep 27, 2017.

1. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    If it's tiled cladding then you may be able to get the top and bottom tiles off to make a suitable working hole, especially if it's tiled on to hardboard or chipboard.
    If it's plasterboard then you should be able to cut out a section then neatly refill it when you're done.
    Send me a couple of photos if you like...
    Good luck with it! :D

felis likes this.

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England

Thanks for the input, Stu. It's painted plasterboard, and I'm an idiot because Hazel's office was the first room I decorated when we moved in five months ago. That was the time to think about cable runs!

I think I've used up the original paint now, but I do have a large tub of skimming plaster just begging to be used before it goes off!

felis likes this.

3. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Painted plasterboard should be easy to neatly cut a top and bottom access. Cut all the way across including over the battens. When it's time to repair use the same pieces, a dab or two of No Nails and fill the gap with Easifill or even Wickes filler. Both of those are dead easy to rub down. Then if you get a similar colour paint you should be able to blend in the repairs with a bit of careful mixing! :D
    Perhaps get a couple of those little tester pots to do some blending!

felis and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

4. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    It's very kind of you to put so much thought into this, Stu. I've decided to go in a slightly different direction that will expand the range of data types I can link between floors, future-proof the installation and allow me to cut a hole without hurting myself!

My solution is to put in a panel on the side of the boxed-in section that can hold as many connector wall plates as I am likely to need on both floors. That also allows me to cut a big enough hole though the plasterboard that I can get a drill and my hand in there. The end result should look pretty neat, so I think that's a win all round.

At the moment, one of the plates will be behind Hazel's desk and the other behind a sofa, so they'll hardly be on display anyway. :)

I'll probably use something like a couple of door finger plates as a cheap way of buying some metal panels. :thumb:

felis and s5tuart like this.

5. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    felis and s5tuart like this.

6. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    There's a 150mm x 300mm hole in the wall now. Unfortunately, whoever boxed in the pipes had only built nuclear bunkers before, so there was a a completely superfluous piece of studding running vertically through the hole I'd created. Well, it had better be superfluous, because I've just sawed through it!

s5tuart and felis like this.

7. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I've changed the version of I Don't Need No Doctor on the spreadsheet to the one from Rockin' The Fillmore, because this is the definitive one IMO, and also because it's at concert pitch, so easier to play along to. I've also changed the key to E, because that's how they played it. I'm never going to sound like Stevie Marriott, but we might as well get the rest of the arrangement as close as possible!

s5tuart likes this.

8. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Just to let you know, boys and girls, the 3rd Euroguestock will be recorded on 8-track (well six tracks, plus a safety backup of the main stereo, recorded at a lower level). I've just bagged a Zoom H6 https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/h6-handy-recorder

That means we can have a main stereo pair of mics, a secondary stereo pair of mics closer to the back-line, plus a stereo feed from the mixing desk. Hopefully, that will allow things like being able to give the vocals a decent treatment after the event.

If things turn out really well, I'll start offering a low-budget commercial service to artists in my area.

9. Miller67

Miller67 Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    London
    I dont know what this means but I will share it with all my friends so that I sound cool!!

s5tuart, Mansonienne and felis like this.

10. nutball73

nutball73 Strat-Talker

Nov 12, 2013
    UK
    I haven't put myself down for much but I'll learn everything so I can be a sub/rhythm/whatever if needed.

11. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

I've been saying it for a while now. Simon you are da man!

12. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    And you are the guy who comes all the way over from the USA, and turns our get-togethers into an international event. :thumb: If I can help to make it worth your while, I will. :)

2-Finger, felis, s5tuart and 2 others like this.

13. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I don’t totally understand the technical bits but it sounds awesome!!

felis and simoncroft like this.

14. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

I'll have to make double certain I'm in practice. I'm spending far too much time working.

felis and Mansonienne like this.

15. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Feel free to hop on to any of the parts I'm listed as doing and take my name off! :D :D

felis likes this.

16. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I'll probably ask for some more studio mics (SM57's?) then Simon for the instruments. I think they are supplied free.
    The better the inputs to the desk the more balanced the final result will be.

felis and simoncroft like this.

17. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Super cool. If you're talking to them, any chance you could find out the exact make/model of the desk? If I can read the owner's manual in advance, it will mean less time on the day messing about, and also mean I can bring the right cables.

Also, a heads up on what keyboard we've got would be handier than an octopus who's found a bag of gloves and is trying them on. :D

Groovey and felis like this.

18. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Leave it with me mate!!!

simoncroft, Mansonienne and felis like this.

19. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    The new recorder came today and it's the mutt's nuts! Although the little Tascam recorder I had was great for the money, this Zoom is built like a pro machine, with physical buttons for all the key functions you'll need on the day. Each track has an individual Engage button and a LED, Record is a big button you can't miss, all the levels are set with physical dials... Basically, it's designed so that it'll happen!

There are a couple of music venues near me, so I'll go down there are see if I can make some test recordings for free. I don't know any other musicians in this town yet, and I'd like to road test the recorder, so that sounds like a win/win.

I've spotted one venue with a blues night and another with a jazz night. Overall, I prefer recording jazz, because it tends to have more acoustic instruments. Blues gigs are louder. If I can get good results from both, then I'll be set up for March. :thumb: