Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ultimate Overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by WillP30, Mar 31, 2018.

1. WillP30

WillP30 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 10, 2017
    USA
    This may be a hopeless cause, but I'm trying to condense my pedalboard down to 3 or 4 pedals and a tuner. Any suggestions for a really versatile overdrive? I play a little bit of everything (blues, classic rock, modern rock/pop, a little bit of jazz and country) Single coils and humbuckers. I don't really need anything high gain. Right now I'm leaning towards the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe or Plexi-Drive Deluxe.

circles and gofmusic like this.

2. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    My all time favs are the BOSS SD1 and the RAT. OCD comes 3rd. They are 3 completely different sounding pedals. If you play a tube amp with a decent crunch sound, Id take the SD1 to make is sound lead and nothing else (as far as drive pedals go)

WillP30 likes this.

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    As mentioned, the BOSS SD-1 is a workhorse classic. The BOSS Blues Driver is a great pedal as well. Dont let the name fool you though, the pedal will go from a sweet slightly broken warm Blues tone to anything short of Metal. It can even get into fuzz pedal range when the gain is maxed.

If you want to save a ton of cash and still sound great, look into JOYO pedals. They make a few drive pedals that are equal to or better than the highest priced hand made pedals, and cost about as much as a pizza and a beer.

WillP30 likes this.

4. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talk Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Norway
    Been through a lot of overdrives, but I always come back to my OCD.

Ebidis and WillP30 like this.

5. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    I'm in love with my Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop. I should have bought the "always on" version.

WillP30 likes this.

6. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    Ethos with HRM?

(not the model without that)

WillP30 likes this.

7. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    Weehbo JCM Drive
    It has a built in boost for solos, a three band eq with adjustable mids and the tone is fantastic.
    It can do completely clean to a nice crunch or singing od.
    If I were trying to consolidate this is the one I would choose

Mr Sneaky and WillP30 like this.

8. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    between the Boss SD-1 pretty wide open and the volume knob on my guitars, and I can go pretty much anywhere on the OD scale other than full blown distortion.

WillP30 likes this.

9. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I vote OCD paired with another OD to practically get any sound you want or can think off.

OCD plus a Fulldrive 2 or 3.

Thats all you ever really need.

Bare bones thats alot of tone and options.

Nothing more is really needed.

Murphcaster, WillP30 and 1980 like this.

10. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talk Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Norway
    I pair mine with Fulltone 2B :)

The-Kid and WillP30 like this.

11. Mr Sneaky

Mr Sneaky Strat-Talker

Mar 12, 2017
    Virginia
    Those weebhos sound incredible. ..

WillP30 likes this.

12. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    The boss sd1 is decent but vs thw OCD.

The OCD just wins

Pretty much super transparent boost when needed or Plexi in a box on steroids.

Its also arguably made better with through hole components and not smd like the boss.

Also has a switch for more head room on the HP setting.

I personally like the the LP setting with strats.

WillP30 likes this.

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I run both. Love the OCD for all of my general OD crunch sounds, and I kick in the SD-1 when I need more gain for a solo. Two different animals though.

The SD-1 definitely has a mid hump (though not as pronounced as a Tube Screamer), but that can be good for single note runs. I agree with you on the transparency and versatility of the OCD. I love the OCD with any of my guitars, because it has so much usable range with the HP/LP toggle, and 9 or 18 volt operation.

IMG_1392.JPG

14. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    For what you want.... there's a reason the Analogman King of Tone is highly regarded. If you care to find one or wait.

There's plenty of other great OD pedals that have already been mentioned but I'll add and overlap here with the

Klone
    Boss Waza Blues Driver
    OCD
    Timmy
    Prince of Tone

WillP30 likes this.

15. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    +1 on the Blues Driver. It rawks if you want to go there, and maybe this is subjective but it is one of the pedals that sounds least like a pedal. You still feel like you’re listening to your amp as opposed to listening to the effect.

guitarface, TheDuck and WillP30 like this.

16. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    Ehx crayon. It has treble and bass controls. That's your versatility.

Electgumbo and WillP30 like this.

17. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    OCD now uses surface mount. On the newest version even the jacks are mounted to the board. Fuller seems to think this is better than the through hole he used before. Even the prior versions had many surface mounted components.

https://legendarytones.com/mike-ful...ion-fulltone-ocd-overdrive-introduces-ocd-v2/

18. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2017
    CT
    It’s better for him, it saves him money not the customer. The old way is better for a few reasons. PCB mounted jacks are junk IMO. I’ve seen to many with bad intermitting connections. They are mainly plastic and have to much flexing. Changing out a foot switch isn't rocket science but on a PCB board it involves a little more finesse. It’s like the modern amps with PCB boards that are manufactured by automated machines instead of hand wiring like the old days. Much easier to trouble shoot and repair the old school technology.

19. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    A
    Trust my V1.7 had no SMD stuff....

It was all throughole.

Dang....hate to hear all the stuff is going SMD.

Honestly.

The SMD stuff is great and I enjoy one or two pedals on my boars made this way and many others do....but its nice to have throughole and I personally prefer Throughhole if possible.

Ive been kind of on a tirade about this but I might my self get a Ibanez ES2 or Mini Delay....all analog.....SMD....but has bucket brigade tech.

For sure looking at the DM2 MIJ WAZA.

Ibanez ES2 has an edge cuz it uses the BBD chips and has tap tempo. The two BBD chips are clocked out to offer 2.5 times rhere normal 200ms time.....so you get some very warm dirty tones but still be clear.

Some digital stuff in the ES2 but its just to make it Tap Tempo. Way Huge Suppa Puss is the same way.

Called a couple amp techs and they all assures me there are guys that can fix pedals that are SMD if the occasion ever arises....highly specialized not stupid expenisive but not cheap either. Lets just say if you wanted to fix one .....itd be like buying the pedal again if they arent in production anymore and able to replace the board.

I mean I know they sound great but as a traditionalist and a guy who likes using digital I prefer my analog to be as old school as possible.

Tried a Helix and it was a great unit thumbs up 100 percent amd while it exceds and is just as good as analoy.....but the analog IMO was just as good and still has its charm....its hard to explain.

Helix is awesome and I wouldnt frown having one....but its not the death of analog like I thought it was.

Analog will always always have a place.

20. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    The Way huge MKll Aqua Puss is the only through hole delau on the market from a brand name...

Carbon copy, Waza delay, DD memmory man, Ibanez, eveything you can think off is SMD now ...

Its cool because it offers more options than you could have before and the sound is great and more consistancy etc etc.

But there should be more conciusness about SMD vs Throughhole as there is consciusness about the saving the trees or twinkies :(