Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ultimate Overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by WillP30, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    The pic on the left in that article is a V1.7. Aren’t those chips and such SMD? I’m not as familiar with that as you and others. My FD2 from 98 is through hole with no PCB and wires running to everything but all 4 OCD’s I’ve owned v1.2, v1.3 and v1.7 all looked like the one in the pic. Jacks and switch separate but everything else mounted on PCB.

2. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Oh I agree. Fuller is all about making $ and this new way is definitely cheaper for him.

The-Kid likes this.

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah there is one chip on there but its as SMD as a JRC chip in a TS.

Im not an expert on actually handling stuff with a soldering iron but I have a rough eyes for seeing the basic layout and components of stuff and that is no SMD on their....

This totally makes me want to buy and older OCD.

I need to get one now.

Like I need to have an older one....

NVM my Geargas purchases and the other stuff..

Getting the Way Huge Blue Hippo Limited Edition through hole all ready on lay away at Sam Ash and then getting a used OCD on flee bay before the prices go up.....

Rico....number 1100....whatever doesnt matter just get an old one and sit on it till you meet saint peter. Trust!

4. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Damn.....is the fulldrive smd too now!?!?!?!

Wtf....

Like I always liked Fulltone growing up cuz it was quality and I could always say and recomend them because of that....

Now its just MXR Boss poverty gear.....hella.

5. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Not sure if the new FD is smd. Once I got my old 98 non mosfet FD2 (built by fuller according to the label) I never tried another.

6. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Not saying your wrong but I dont see any smd stuff on the V2. Surface mounted jacks and pots is another story.

Will send Mike Fulltone an email regarding this.

Mike gets a bunch of crap but trust hes a cool dude.

Hes not just in it for the money neither is George Tripps at MXR....

They are just following industrial trends.

I mean I dont like it....not because the sound sucks....no one can say the Carbon copy sucks or the DD memmory man by ehx because its smd.....but its nice to know.

There are draw backs and benefits to both but the sound of the smd is great for reals

Its just a longetivity thing for me and other traditionalist.

7. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    The new ones I thonk are still through hole but may be computer mounted at this point.

Knowing Fuller I doubt its SMD.

8. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Oh Fuller is definitely in it for the money and is an ass to boot. A few years back I had a Deja Vibe that was one month old. While switching the toggle from vintage to modern it snapped in my fingers. Emailed mike and his response was I must have kicked it because there was no way that would happen. After I explained to him that was not the case he finally emailed me back a week later saying he would fix it under warranty but I must cover shipping both ways and that he would only send it back insured and I had to pay for that myself. While I still use fulltone pedals but I have never again bought one new as I will not give money directly to him anymore. I’d rather buy off CL and pat a consumer. He also has a rep gone on TPG and been a colossal jerk to anyone who dares to say a negative thing about his stuff.

Chont, bloomz and The-Kid like this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    This is spendy, but very versatile:

WillP30, The-Kid and Stratoskater like this.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    This is why I won't give him any of my money.

bloomz and Stratoskater like this.

11. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yup, I’d much rather support builders who respect their customers and don’t have a god complex.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, I'd much rather give my money to someone like Tavo Vega instead. He's always on the Gretsch board and is real helpful and appreciative of his customers, and as such, I feel good about spreading the word about his stuff.

The-Kid and Stratoskater like this.

13. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yo Have you ever made some pedals.....

You should make some for the strat talk fam bam....

Quote me on PM ;)

14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I just got through reading about that. He said before the through hole gave a cleaner signal but went to the surface mount mainly as a cost factor...Im happy with the 1 I have ( think its like 1.4....really dont remember) and I run it at 18v

The-Kid and Stratoskater like this.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Quote you what exactly?
    I'm in the middle of trying to figure out an issue on a pedal for another member, and I'm not making much progress on it. I don't think I have any business taking orders on stuff until I get that handled.

Stratoskater and The-Kid like this.

16. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Um...Im afraid your gonna have to work weekend. mmm k

Chont, Stratoskater and CigBurn like this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeeeeahhhh, I sort of need to play catch-up...

Stratoskater and Bob the builder like this.

18. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day

Chuckle.gif

Bob the builder likes this.

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have three different overdrives that I like to use that all play well with each other. My Klone is a KWM, actually have two of them on my board currently. It's an exact clone of the Centaur and is hands down the best OD there is IMHO. The second is a SB Nichols L'il Eagle, which is a modded TS type and the third is a Vick Audio Tree of Life...in lower gain settings it mimics the Zen Drive and in higher gain settings its very much like the OCD V1.3. If I had to choose just one I would keep the KWM over the others, no hesitations.

Stratoskater and WillP30 like this.

20. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Hahah jk

But yeah wisu you the best on the pedal building endevors and projects.

Really cool man.

Maybe you can get around to making me a DS1 clone like an MIJ one....I know its simple but I love that MIJ DS1.

But yeah.....lol