Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ultimate Overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by WillP30, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia

2. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Just my opinion, mind you....

I am of the mindset you are- least amount of pedals with most tonal options. For overdrive>distortion, IMO, I needed two pedals to accomplish this. So I got and Archer (boost to good healthy crunch / od), and then a Plimsoul (can do a light OD but really shines moderate OD to Distortion. Then, they can be 'cascaded' into each other- the Archer pushing the Plimsoul.

FINALLY- I ended up with my current set up: Fulltone FB3 (Fat Boost)> Archer > JHS "AT" or "@". Unbelievable amount of combinations and certainly everything I'll ever need. The JHS will can full out distortion and has three headroom settings. All three can be cascaded into one another. I'm not a metal guy, so that 'death metal' tone is not a preference / necessity for me.

I'm admittedly a 'shill' for the Archer, a Klon Centaur clone. VERY versatile pedal and perfect for most of what I need to get 'my' tone. IF I had to have only one- the Archer would be it.

Best wishes on your OD / Dist. quest! Let us know what you decide!

Brian

guitarface likes this.

3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    The before mentioned OCD and EHX Crayon are pretty good sounding units... funny I’m not using either one at the moment...

4. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    Keeley D&M Drive, Boss Angry Driver

guitarface likes this.

5. Pluckeverystring

Pluckeverystring Strat-Talk Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Toronto
    I have three main overdrives I swap in and out depending on Mood and how the amp sounds on a particular day, either a catalinbred Naga Viper, a Jack Deville All Time High, or a keeley mod blues driver. Each cover lots of ground and are really versatile for so many styles and sound not only for distortion but even add some magic set to relatively clean tones.

6. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I’ve got the Joyo Ultimate Drive, the one with the fugly demon silkscreened on it, and the 2nd gen OCD that @Rogue Bohemian gave me. Both are great for getting that “splatter” tone that you can hear on Santana III and Caravanserai, but I still love Marshall amp gain more.

7. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2017
    The backyard
    Boss BD-2....classic.

8. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Dec 16, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Take a look at the BYOC Crown Jewel. I built one and like it a lot; might be just what you're looking for.

9. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker

Feb 16, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I've tried every MIAB out there.
    Still have the MI Audio Crunch Box and Barber Direct Drive.
    I prefer them over Weehbo, Carl Martin, Wampler, etc., etc.

10. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    There are so many overdrives now. Most had ridiculous names.

SD1 is a solid, basic, time tested od. In my opinion more pleasing to the ear than ts type pedals. There is a mid hump but it seems to me to be a high mid hump that kind of makes my tone shinier.

Currently Im really liking Hardwire cm2 on my board.

I dunno if there is one ultimate drive.

To me, SD 1 checks a lot of boxes and its cheap too.

FWIW, I had an OCD v3 for a number of years and found it difficult to dial in a useable volume. The boost was very exagerated. Im not sure if thats unique to that version. I also did not care for the extreme bass response, or the "rock" tones. Too much Marshall in a box for me. Ymmv, especially since lots of folks here love Marshall sounds.

The-Kid likes this.

11. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    Lately I've been leaving my SD-1 on and using the guitar's volume knob to control the amount of drive.

12. Williamwolka

Williamwolka Strat-Talker

Dec 10, 2017
    Indiana
    I have been through alot of them with my Jcm 800. The SD1 always stays on the board. Best note tracking I've found for fast single note runs.