Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Unbranded locking tuners

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StratPlus97, Dec 6, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Has anyone ever purchased and used a set of “unbranded” locking tuners? I was going to give it a shot for a very inexpensive beater strat...there’s just so much to choose from.

Anything that’s worked great for anyone?

Thanks!

*I do know how much the better sets cost, and I have them on a few guitars.
    Please save the lecturing for someone that asks for it.

IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3679.JPG

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    I woldn't trust those with someone else's money... nada chance..

rk

nederemer, Raiders757, albala and 5 others like this.
  3. bigc

bigc Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2015
    nc
    I have a set on one of my strats, bought from Amazon. They hold tune, but the locking posts are bad to strip. Ones missing on mine for that reason, and a couple more seem kinda rough as you lock them. I wouldn't recommend them.

I did recently put a set of Wilkinson ez locking tunners on my daughters strat, and while not a "true" mechanical lock, they hold tune, work smooth, and look great. And they're only about $10 more

4. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Raiders757 likes this.
  5. omni43

omni43 Strat-Talker

Jan 18, 2015
    Annandale, VA
    You get what you pay for.

jwj1701 likes this.
  6. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I considered these a while ago but decided to go with the cheapest ones from Allparts, they feel and work pretty much the same of the Schaller on my Am Deluxe

What I tried for that price on Amazon was the Belcat hot rails pickups and they are surprisingly better than I expected

7. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Those look like the set I took a chance on for my acoustic. They have been on it for 4 years and I have no complaints at all. Others may not like them but they have been nothing but rock solid for me.
    1512598002578.jpg

8. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    You wouldn’t trust ANY non branded locking tuner? Did you have a bad experience or is it just because it doesn’t have an F somewhere on it?

9. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog A Real Nowhere Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 20, 2012
    Not On Cloud 9

He has a lot of experience. Go to his website and have a look.

Textele likes this.
  10. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Someone doesn't know me very well... :p

on occasion, throughout the 50 + years of doing what I do... I have tried a number of "bargain" parts... and while "you" might get lucky... the chance of that happening in a bottom "dollar" tuner is unlikely..

They typically rely on plastic or "mystery metal" for the gears... and about anyone with a long history with guitars will have experienced the pleasure of a key that slips.... because the darn cheep gears broke..

Now there does exist "mil-spec" plastics, but that stuff actually costs more than just plain old "tool steel".. ya won't be finding that stuff in 12 dollar tuners..

If "you" have saved the 20.00 bux for a cheep set of keys, you have demonstrated the ability to acquire 20 bux.. so use the "cookie cutter" method...do it again, wait until ya acquire another 20.. and get us a set of Gotoh or similar that will last a lifetime...

Can't wait. . . in a rush... don't be... I've been in a rush many times in my life... it accomplished nothing.. it still took me 71 years to get to where I am now... I wish it hadduh taken longer.. Damn.. :eek:

rk

11. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah, check out some of these beauties he created in his gallery.

http://www.ronkirn.com/stratgal

Oh, and I agree 100% with his, and others above advice.

Spend the extra and get the quality tuners.

12. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Hey Ron, i’m sorry, I do not know who you are. :( don’t take it personalIy...I don’t know anyone on here.
    Anyway, thank you for the reply with the information. I myself do appreciate quality, and do have a set of Gotohs.

I’m trying to find a very inexpensive set because long story short the guitar is going to end up being smashed. Trying to mirror another guitar for a video, but the guitar is still going to be played for a bit. It’s a cheaply made, low quality guitar that cost me $20

13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I think the $12 tuners will serve that purpose

I've never used any no namers myself but I've never built a smasher

14. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    In that case... it couldn't matter 'could it.

Ron

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    PM me your address and I will send you a set of cheapies for free. They came on a guitar that I acquired earlier this year and I will be changing them out probably this weekend.

Raiders757, vid1900 and Textele like this.
  16. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA

Now that's badass!

17. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Wow, really? That’s amazing. Thank you very very much. Months ago, I did the same for someone with a Wah pedal I had, so the good karma is coming back to me. It pays to pay it forward. Very cool.
    Once you send it to me and I have your address, I will mail you out a hat or a shirt for the brewery I work for. Let me know which you prefer.

Cheers!

vid1900 likes this.
  18. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    I've used several sets like that. The ones that sell in the $30 range from places like Guitarfetish have been very nice. I got some that looked like that for $15 out of China, and they were junk.

19. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Well, the guitar is still going to be played and won’t be smashed until the final scene, so it will be a while. Depending on how badly it gets destroyed, I may be able to salvage the tuners as well so I figured if I was going to spend the money, I’d get something I could use later.

20. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Since I just sent out the freebies (pm'd you) you can now just save a little more and get a nicer set for the latter project. ;)