Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Under 300$, tube amp.....Blues, Rock, some metal....HAALP ME!!!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Dec 29, 2017.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    OKay so its the usual scenerio.....trying to get a tube amp that sounds better than amps ten times the cost.....

Underdogs. Frigging amps people overlook....the ones people took for granted....

So up first is the Line 6 Spider Valve Mkii

These amps got so shat on when they came out by all the snobs.....the mk1 was yeah...I get it....but the mkll.....like its pretty much a DT25 or DT50...... but like....I dont know how to put it.....have you ever played Marvel vs Capcom.....sometimes when designers make games or products they dont realize how good or easy they made it for the consumer.....to not just meet their satisfactions but exceed them....Sometimes this happens without the consumer even being aware of it....because they take it for granted....

But pretty much the Spider Valve is like having Ryu and Wolverine together as one character in Marvel Vs Capcom....like the cleans are so GLassy.....and the mid to high gain tones are pretty killer.....

Ryu is pretty much broken as fawwwk with adu-kens and the spinning kicks....and his flying upper cut punch.... hes able to keep enemies at bay at long distance with adukens or kick their ass litterally with the spinning kicks if you come close to him....

Wolverine.....well in the game hes broken as fawk too.....hes able to attack you from an instant if he wants from like 10 meters away and defending from wolverine is pretty much useless because the designers made him in a way that any defense is easily broken by his style of fighting in the game....your pretty much forced to fight him....and unless you know specifically works mechanicaly in the game and what strategy he is using by either comp or player.....your fawked...even then hes broken.

In short Great Cleans, spanky, buttery, glassy, whatver. Awesome mild gain tones....Great Hi gain tones.

Can be had for 250$

The Spider Valve is Ryu and Wolverine........for the money...and it sounds great.

Crate is up Next with the VFXV50212

Its pretty much like a the Palomino but just black. Two el34 for that Marshall grunt....Solid Birchply cabinet.

Like I have a Crave Vintage Club 50 so I know what to expect and yeah these amps deliver. Like I know they are good. But the thing is my last one broke down on me after someone kicked in the speaker and the tubes died off. And Im down to get it because I have played it vs other 1500$+ amps....and I like this thing better.....

But the Crate V50 is all tube and all that....And it is dope. I can also get a 212 version and it can move alot more air that just a 112. Overall the VFX50 is like my Vintage Club 50 only better.

No MDF cabinet. Solid Birch Ply, great touch. Independant 3 band EQ for both channels... And a slew of very nice DSP effects with just one knob for level ranging from room, hall reverb, to chorus and other stuff, you can use only one at a time so its and theres only one knob for level so its quite easy to use. It offers great tone and some simple to use versatility and matches the spider valve in that sense.

Next is a Peavey Bravo....

Now this amp I can get for 250$ all day anywhere any time.

WHat I like about it is that its pretty much like a JCM800 and a 5150 meet at OzzFest fawked, had a baby and then this thing came out. Ive played a couple and its just spot on for that heavy rock stuff.

The Clean Channel is kind of lacking but other than that its pretty solid. I kind of give it less points because its got MDF cabinet....but lets be honest....who cares...

Great mild to high gain tones, really spot on and this amp definately has alot of soul.

Very underapreaciated and can be had for a good price and offers way more sound than what you pay for....even compared to some amps that cost 10 times more.....sorry I just had to LMAO

But yeah in retrospect, Im kind of really tied between the Spider Valve MKii and the Crate VFX50212.

I feel either one would be a great choice.....but then theres the Bravo with its charm.

Hope I may have helped others in a similar situations looking for amps and just not sure where to look for their budget.

Also for those concerned remember to simply just go on craigslist, set your min and max price point and just search "Tube amp" youll be surprised what youll find...

Found an Ampeg 1964 Rocket for 130$....normal price 600$....guy was moving and although it worked great aesthetically it looked bad and he just had to sell it fast.....

Would have gotten it my self.....but I dont get paid till thursday....oh well hahaha

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    Just a suggestion but check out the Bugera G20 on youtube. I bought one and love it. I also bought 2 cabs instead of one and it sounds awesome.

The-Kid likes this.

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX

4. MrKrabs

MrKrabs Strat-Talker

May 15, 2017
    Texas
    Used Marshall Valvestate. You could get a nice one for $250

5. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Id be down but like im on a budget and id barely have enough for the head.

Yeah there is one in my area that I can get for 250 with the matching cab but Id rather get an AC410 if I was looking at smaller wattage and I kind of want something that I can take out to Jam with whenever and keep up with a drummer or drown everyone out at a coffee shop so they can shut the hell up.....

Like Im looking for that amp that I can play at home, cuz I care about my neighbors and their new born baby, but still take out and cause havoc at a small venue to medium or coffee shop

Im looking for an amp that sounds great, can be played at home if I care about my neighbors, but can be used as a savage beating drum when need be.

6. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I dont know if you saw the post, but the amps I mentioned are much better than a Valvestate in my experience.

Was also looking at a JCA20 333 amp. Those are like Marshall slayers and I can get a combo in my price range but at 15 watts I feel its lacking in headroom.

7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Night Train has a gain and master volume control, sounds great at low volume levels. AC is way louder.

GunMonkeyINTL likes this.

8. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Blackstar HT 40.

Before I moved into my Friedman, I played Blackstar exclusively.

I listen back to the studio jobs I used it on and I am still impressed at the versatility and Marshallesque/Voxy tones in those amps. Especially for the price!

Here is a clip of a studio job where I recorded all the guitars plugged straight into a HT-40.

Mine did have a Celestion Vintage 30 in it that replaced the stock Celestion 70/80.

9. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    I’m finding that that seems to be the mythical elixir- a Gain pot and a Master pot. I didn’t realize it until I had an amp set up that way, but that seems to be the heazy fo sheazy.

Additional EQ knobs are all Kool n tha Gang, but, between the volume knob on your pickup, a Gain, and a Master on the pre-amp, you can get all the tonez that God intended there to be.

ETA- oh, and just buy a Tubemeister. It’s got Master, Gain, and Ludicrous-Gain knobs.

10. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    That what I mean.

Im not looking for a small tube amp....Im looking for a savage of a tube amp that can tear the peel the flesh of your skin if need be....but still be good at home..... My neighbors are pretty cool with me playing at moderate to loud levels during the daytime so Im really good there, but sometimes I want to play quitely.

11. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah you know what there is one in my are under 300$.

285$.

I could prob get it down to 250$.

The guy is selling it so low cuz the handle is missing!?!?!? okay.... knock 150$ off for that. I dont care hahaha

I just need to make some noise

That sounds great by the way.

Its honestly between these three now BlackStar, Spider Valve and Crate VFX50212

Textele likes this.

12. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2012
    Texas
    How about a Peavey ValveKing. The last generation 50 watt combos go for about $220 all day...

13. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    The valveking is nice and it gets the job done, but given a choice Id go for the Spider Valve or Vintage Club as I feel they are significantly better in sound and overall quality.

14. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2012
    Texas
    Have you actually played on these amps? Because I can tell you, having made the same decision 6 or so years ago with the same amps, the Spider Valve and Vintage Club don't sound like Tube amps cranked up. The Spider being one of the worst tube amps I've ever cranked up. It relies on it's Digital programming for gain. The Vintage Club to my ears sounded very... Generic I guess is the right word...

The best Tube amps in your price range are going to be pure simple amps. No DSP, no modeling, hybridization, etc. For example. The Pro Junior is an amazing amp because it's a tube amp that just begs to be cranked up. $300 is not a lot for an amp. Let alone one that has good integration of hybrid systems and DSP. If you want good Hybrid amps, Hughes and Kettner is the best on the market right now, but they are $600+ used for the more basic hybrid models.

15. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I don’t think anybody suggested it yet. You need to get yourself Jet City amp. I have JCA2112RC. It does it all...
    And I bought mine for $160...

The-Kid likes this.

16. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Honestly all you said is untrue regerjutated shill.....

The Spider Valve behaves just like a tube amp....you can ease of the gain and raise the volume....and breaks up.....and the digital gain.....sounds so good. Like all those things you said about the Spyder Valve is just tube snobery jargon IMO....and it comes with a V30 celestion to top it off......The bogner touch aside from the tube stuff really comes through...Like I dont know how they did it but the MKii Spyder Valve is almost too good. Like the designers realized how good they made it, but no one liked it because well.....they are snobz......but other than that it behaves just like a tube amp.

Like I have to say the Spyder was so damn good, they only dumbed them down with the d-25 with less features and no digital fx for all the tube snobzzz /old ppl/and computarded......and it was just as good but no better than the Mkii as good as the Bgner dt50 and dt25

I mean you need balls to play these BIG BOY AMPS....because they get loud as hell. And I like that.....You actually need to get the air moving you see, like a real guitar player to understand an amp.

Same thing with the Crate, awesome amp, Ive played so many 2000K$+ amps and have come back to this baby happy as a bee when my VC50 was working.

As said before the Valveking is nice.....but its just not my taste.

17. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    I have owned several blackface, played several silverface, as well as real 50's tweeds. I also owned Fender Custom Shop Dual Professional... I sold everything except the 2 blackfaces I have sentimental attachment to, and use a Mustang III V2, although the new GT100 ain't bad with several hours of tweaking (and forgetting everything I knew about the M3, totally different beast). Granted, a LOUD gig with $$$$ pedals sounds better than the Fender modeling amps.. but, for living room volumes, the modelers sound better and they are so so so convenient! I have 10 different models accessible with 1 knob and they ALL sound great. I'm an old man, I've been there and done that, and the "tube amp" is great but technology has surpassed it for all but real stage gigging.

18. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    wow.

GunMonkeyINTL likes this.

19. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    uhhh..

Okay.

Hmmm.

20. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yo you right I had it confused with the lil night train....

Ive been hearing this one.....

And altough its small in size it should be loud enough. At 15 watts its pretty stellar for what it can do.

My impression from hearing it online is that its a Classic Vox tone in the bright setting and the girth channel is a top boost...with a gain knob.....

IMO its like better than thr Ac15 in terms that Ive always wanted the AC15 tone....but with more gain....and this thing is that....

Troubled here now....

Can get a VFX50212 Crate for 175$ but I can get a vox Train for 370$.