Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Under 300$, tube amp.....Blues, Rock, some metal....HAALP ME!!!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Dec 29, 2017.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Im sorry for some reason I thought you meant the little night train...

In short looking at Clips....

I rather like it....its pretty much your typical AC15 tone on the Bright setting....its spot on ac15...like legit.

And the thing about the AC15 is the lack of balls it has short of shoving a pedal in front of it.although I love the base tone, it just needs a gain knob....

Night train is pretty much improved, smaller, better AC15 without trem....

And the digital verb....sounds better than the tank IMO.

I found one for 350$ used.

I also have Crate VFX50212 I can get for 200$...birch cabinet...212....el34....50 watts....made in USA....

But the Vox Night train.....

Paperback Rocker likes this.

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    The combo of the Night Train has a good speaker in it, too. You won't need to replace it.

The-Kid likes this.

3. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

Are you really lookin for HHaallp?

4. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    I love my Fender Excelsior Pro. Its a full tube amp with a 12 Inch Fender speaker designed by Eminence. It wasn't well received when it was on the market, but I think that was because of a poor choice by Fender and a lack of experimentation by those who bought it. The poor choice by Fender was to add Tremelo to it rather than reverb. The lack of experimentation by those who bought it is the 3 input choices. I'm assuming most just plugged into the input labelled "guitar"--that one doesn't really do the amp justice. I plug into the "Mic" input and the amp just comes alive! I got mine in a trade for roughly $200 worth of gear and I couldn't be happier!

The-Kid likes this.

5. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I think I tried it once in at GC......

And it was pretty legit...I walked of thinking..."cool a little better AC15 that can even Kick a Tiny Terro in the Ass..."...the Cleans were the best part....just Classic AC15....the Gain Chan was nice IMO just as good as the Tiny Terror

Then they released the lower tier version for the same price....the AC10....just really dark IMO. And not enough headroom for that ac15 tone...

Also the gain was almost unusable.

The nighttrain was just nicer...

They should have just kept it the same and changed its name to an Ac10 with a 10 inch speaker at least.

The extra 12ax7 with a total of 3 in the preamp versus the 2 in the voxac10 made the diff for the head room advantage.

Just my opinion....

Like im down to do it.....

Have you compared to an Ac15 or other stuff....

I do like the greenback as well....

Maybe put a Hellatone 30 at some point but the Greenback is one of my Favriotes....any almost any amp.

6. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I think Mark Campbell from Tom Petty and Heartbreakers use one of those too.

Good choice.

I figured it was just modeled after a basic Princton with a trem... Great tone.

7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Yes, I have an AC15. It gets 1/50th of the use of my Night Trains. I have my head NT running through an Orange 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30. Sounds great. I run my NT combo as a head for a 2x12 cab, which also sounds great, but the internal speaker in the combo sounds fantastic, for sure. I played it like that for a long time before I got the 2x12.

I like to play lead, and the NT is far superior for that. Warm gain with great sustain. The reverb is very useable, you almost don't notice it much, but it is there and I've never felt it lacking. Wonderful amp.

And the NT takes a Strat or Gibson equally well. I think the AC15 favors humbuckers. All my subjective opinions, of course!

The-Kid likes this.

8. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    No dude thanks....

Like it helps alot....your opinion is valuable to me. Sorry for the miscomunication earlier....

I like the Line 6 spider valve....but I realize I like the Moddeling it offers more than the amp itself....so I will probably just get a multi fx unit they offer down the road and just pair it with the NT15...and although the other amps mentioned are great....I could....always fix the VC50 Crate I have in the closset....

I think its clear now!!!!

:)

And your a standup dude here, I highly respect your opinion on alot of matters you invlolve yourself in here.

Thanks man. Will let you know when I get it!!!!

Paperback Rocker likes this.

9. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Due to my budget and situation of trying before I buy.....

Im probably going to get the Crate VFX5212.....

I like my VC50212.....and this is pretty much a newer better version with independant EQ for each channel....solid wood cabinet construction....and 15 different decent sounding digifx ranging from chorus to small room verb....to just trem or simple slapback. Only can uss one fx at a time and there is only a level knob for mix of FX so its quite simple and straight forward....also el34......

Its kind of hard to overlook and for 200$ in getting it a deal when the market value is 450$......

So I could flip it down the road and make some extra cash and get something else if need be.....

Overall I think I'll be happy with it and will prob keep it for the long haul....never thought of selling its older VC50 father. And I really felt the VC50 was nicer than a HRD, Classic 30 and in some cases better than a USA fender or even a Vox AC15....

Hell I remember playing 2k+ amps and coming home to the VC expected to be let down but only finding that I liked it just as good or better.

Im going with a safe bet here and a tried and tested amp in my experience.

10. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Also the VFX5212 is part of the tube amo line in CRate SLMs production that was made in the USA. Shortly after the V series came out MIA they phased them out with the Chinese version, for which lack of a better word, was a shell of what the VC or V series MIA tube amps were.....

I like that....these were the last American amps of a once proud American company made in Saint Louis Missouri. Crate SLM!!!!

The V Series MIA tube amps were pretty much better tuned up version of their predesecor , the Vintage Club. And it was the last ones they made....and they made them the best they possibly could....

They made them with the player in mind with plenty of usable tones and an affordable cost....and above all great quality and sound!!!

Not just for the money but great tone in general, money or brand crap aside....these were and still are awesome.

I wish Crate was still around.

Good old times lol.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018