Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Underrated Sleeper Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Boodreaux, Apr 6, 2013.

1. colchar

colchar Senior Stratmaster

I don't know where you are seeing the YCV80 for $1399 but whichever store is charging that is ripping people off as the YCV80 sells for like $800.

I picked up a mint YCV40T for $150 and liked the amp but it was just too damned loud for my purposes. I am keeping my eye open for a 15 or 20 watt Traynor though as their amps are great.

2. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay

There is a very good reason why you'll find those V30s in most of the Fender Limited Editions. A very good reason.

I have a Ltd Ed HRD Python and a standard HRD and did an A/B side by side comparison. The Python sounded light years better. It has the Vintage 30 in it.

I rest my case.:D

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    VHT 12/20. Will run el34/84 6v66l6. Runs 12 or 20 watts and has a power scale knob.

gwjensen likes this.

4. BartS

BartS Strat-Talker

Mar 19, 2013
    MO
    Anything Crate with tubes in it.

gwjensen likes this.

5. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Strat-Talker

Nov 12, 2012
    Alpes - France
    CARVIN X100, X60, XV112, very good sounding tube amps, so far you don't need to reach Hi-Gain dirty sounds.

6. Xpensive Wino

Xpensive Wino Senior Stratmaster

Hard to say anything that sounds decent is a "sleeper" any more. They all have their fans. I'd try the Ampeg & the Gibson, personally.

7. Soggy Sneakers

Soggy Sneakers Strat-Talker

Mar 12, 2013
    Portland OR
    Peavey Classic's and Carvin Vintage's...

The Peavey might just be THE best "sleeper" amp around (to be fair, they're really well known by some and people who play them realize what they've got so maybe sleeper isn't the right term???). They're giant killers that put amps that are much higher-priced to shame. From coping VOX tones to full on Marshal crunch (the OD on the lead channel is to DIE for). Not to mention the fact that they were built to take serious abuse and to be run for long periods of time without issue (the fan is such a simple idea but so few use it... sad).

The Carvins are very similar to the PV in both build quality and overall tone. The OD tones, like the PV, are just amazing and really make you appreciate what can come from a properly designed "lead" channel. They're actually even more "sleeper" then the PV as they seem to be rare as hens teeth in the giging world.

I went from a majorly disappointing Fender Blues Deville (truly horrible amps) to my Classic 50 and it's been one of the greatest discovery's in my playing career... The C50 is a "life'r" amp IMO.

8. leewaun

leewaun New Member!

Feb 8, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    reply about Traynor

I have the ycv20WR Traynor and it has 2 channels. The clean is rather like AC15 especially if you hit the boost.

Other channel is lead and it has more of a marshall flavour. It comes with a Celestion G12m Greenback speaker so it does do grit real well. Reminds of a AC15 that is gone wild.

9. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    From day one, Peavey gear has been seriously durable!

I'm not sure they can be called "under-rated" since their value is well known, but since Peaveys aren't over-priced, they are certainly not over-rated - except in terms of quality, which they back up over and over again.

savofenno likes this.

10. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm biased as I've owned a Club 30 since they were first released in the 90s. I mostly love the cleans on that amp although the dirty channel can get some great sounds as well.

11. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Pic didn't upload the first time

Attached Files:

12. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

The traynor Bassmate, but most people are aware of it and how it is pretty much a bassman.. in a canadian package.

the one i have been most impressed with over the last bit is the VHT super 6 head and cabinet, its wicked... and very cheap. hand wired on a turret board. one 6v6 and 12 ax7 they make a super 6 ultra that has two pre amps and more gain but the super 6 by its self sounds just awesome and very well balanced

13. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2009
    Western Michigan
    Another one for Traynor here.

The YCS50 custom Special
    Loaded with a Vintage 30.
    I owned one from 2005-2010.
    The cleans were not the liveliest and the verb was more for surf rock, but hijacking the power section (via Power Amp In) gave me total control and surprisingly great tone and feel with a Vox Tonelab SE.

When doing this the master volume control stats active, and you can still engage the presence and resonance controls. It also has a compensated XLR DI built in. At 90% of my gigs I couldn't h what came out of the amp in FOH.

14. hcresurfer

hcresurfer New Member!

Sep 16, 2010
    Honolulu
    Love my Carvin V16 with Celestion V30 upgrade. Fat tone for blues & classic rock. Under $500, loud enough for small gigs, light enough to carry in with guitar in other hand (only one quick trip from car), made in San Diego. It's all I need!

15. Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic Victory Strat-Talker

Jan 25, 2012
    Northwest, PA
    Any tube red knob Fender. They're ugly, but they have all the classic cleans, and usually a very usable second channel, as long as you dial it in and don't expect megametal tone.

16. irish1980

irish1980 Senior Stratmaster

There's a red knob twin around for $500 I'm thinking of getting.

17. leewaun

leewaun New Member!

Feb 8, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    Agree on the Traynor line. Just bought Apr 30th a new Traynor YCV20 WR 15 watt all tube amp. With the Greenback speaker and the long spring reverb it is just so smooth and mellow. Play it with my new American Standard Strat has the Custom Shop Fat 50's pups in it. Best set up I have ever had in 30 years.

18. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

I know I'm biased, but I'm going with an amp that I've always respected, and recently acquired one of my own... the Marshall 4203 combo. 30 watts, 1X12 Vintage 30, nice compact (albeit, somewhat heavy) package. The preamp is SS, but the phase inverter is tube, and the amp is EL34-driven, so when you crank it up, it comes into its element and behaves just like an all-tube Marshall. IMO, the tone is very similar to the JCM800 combos I've played. Classic Marshall. Surprisingly legit spring reverb, too. In general I think many of these SS-preamp, tube power section amps tend to be sleepers. Some of the Music Man amps and early Peavey Classics come to mind.

Attached Files:

19. highwayman

highwayman Strat-Talker

May 31, 2010
    ny
    Yeah Crate VC Series and Fender Deluxe VM.

20. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Anybody played a Fender Super Sonic 60? Looks like a 60 watt 112 blackface from the mid 2000s. I imagine at 60 watts it is even louder then the HRDx. One in great shape listed for $500 but it would be a 7 hour drive round trip to look at it, so with the gas and road snacks added in it would be about 700 bucks if I kept it at the speed limit. If only it was closer...