Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Underrated Sleeper Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Boodreaux, Apr 6, 2013.

1. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2009
    Western Michigan
    The cleans are great and the burn channel sounds nothing like any Fender distortion I've used. I liked it but was not in love with it.

The other "sleeper" that I love live or in studio is Genz Benz Black Pearl. It's a sleeper because of being a single channel with a variable boost but the overdriven gain is nothing short of bliss for me. It has pentode/triode and switching between 2 or 4 EL84s getting you 8 to 30 watts of "Class A" style output and vibe (I don't believe its a pure Class A amp). The amp also has a tube recto and is Cathode biased meaning you don't have to match tube airs when you change/replace them. The downside is it being as heavy in the head version as most 112 combos are from Fender. It's on par with the weight of Orange Amps.

owenmoney likes this.

2. kumachan

kumachan Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2013
    toronto
    ready/ i'm comin outta the hole with the best secret in amps

VHT Amplification - The Classic 18

read the specs. it's $400 new and there ain't not one amp out there you can buy for under $700 that can even come close to being this much amp. oh, and they really are handwired. no greenboard. i know, i had one. i'll be getting another before people figure out how good they are and drive the price up with everyone else.

3. mongo2058

mongo2058 Strat-Talk Member

May 20, 2013
    SALEM,OR
    bought a v18 when they were on sale once nd love it.its my go to.have a classic2x12 with nos ge's,, to heavy to pack anywhere.

4. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

I cut 2 solos off our album using an older Jet. Amazing tone. I used a stock DD-3 and an Allums mod BD-2 set as a VERY light boost. It sounded amazing.

5. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2012
    NoVa
    Ibanez TSA series. I've had a TSA15H and its matching 1x12 cab since their initial availability. It's my main amp for home practice/recording for home (unless it's late and I just use the built-in Garageband models to avoid waking/angering the wife and kids). It has typical Tube Screamer levels of gain and cleans that stay so even when cranked in either 5 or 15-watt modes.

Don't care for the stock speaker, but that's an easy fix.

Nick

6. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT

7. StormJH1

StormJH1 Strat-Talker

Dec 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    A guy much earlier in the thread mentioned the Peavey Bandit. YES. The 90's era stuff with TransTube was outstanding - my buddy had a 15 watt Peavey, and it BLEW AWAY my 30W Marshall Valvestate in volume and tone quality. Was always jealous. I see them used for dirt cheap, also - would be a great practice amp.

8. zag1

zag1 Strat-O-Master

Dec 14, 2009
    Washington DC
    Quite a few cool amps in this thread. How about these - Crate Club 20, 15 watter and a Fender 30 (1980-81). They did okay in the day. Still do.

Attached Files:

9. bramaputra

bramaputra Banned

Jul 29, 2012
    bergen norway
    i builded one in an old radio cabinet, copied an 1954 fender 5 w
    Sold.
    5u4g- 6a j7- 6L6 gt. i think it was
    i have to build me a new one,
    and find a 50 year old speaker
    to it.

10. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I'd use my Crate VC20 more if I liked the sound of EL84's as much as I like Fender tubes like the 6V6....or 6L6's in the larger amps.

The Crate is wonderful for what it does, but mostly I tried to make it sound like a Fender amp!

11. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Old Musicman amps . Loved the 112 RD . Sold it a few years ago , wish I hadn't .

12. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    A buddy still has his...loud like a Twin!

13. bluesy groover

bluesy groover Strat-Talker

Apr 3, 2012
    Eagle River, WI
    Fender Blues Deluxe. Great cleans and fat clean tone.

14. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Strat-Talk Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Texas
    The old are first Peavey Bandit 65, I had 2 of them. One had a EV12L and that baby would rock. The other I took out the Scorpion and put a PV Black Widow you can't beat them for transistor amp. Wish I still had them they were built like tanks.

15. NCStratDude

NCStratDude Banned

Jun 8, 2013
    NC
    Those Jet City's are pretty good on a budget.

16. lasiurus

lasiurus Strat-Talker

Jan 19, 2011
    Southern CA
    Groove Tubes Soul-O series amps.

Not sure how much they go for used now but I remember seeing a 30 watt head on CL for around $500 some time ago.

Attached Files:

• s30.jpg
      s30.jpg
      File size:
      36 KB
      Views:

17. Alecoholic

Alecoholic Strat-Talk Member

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    In terms of tone, I'm thinking of the Crate V50. Can get very plexi sounding and has a lot of digital effects built into it that sound pretty good for what they are. It was discontinued for reliability issues and the only one I've played was bought broken and fixed. In that regard I don't know if its underrated at all.

Sunns have their following so I don't know if Beta Leads count, but they are the best sounding solid state I've ever heard. I got a head for $250 and a 2x12 combo for $75 with a cold solder joint. Great deal both times. The reverb is like no other amp, very evil sounding. The gain cooks my Peavey Bandit.

I'll second the guy who said the Gallien Krueger Backline. I got a 600 head recently for $150 at guitar center. You just can't get a better 300 watt bass amp for the price. They catch some heat because RB's can be had for a few hundred more, but I'm happy with this amp in every single way. The OD channel isn't terrible for guitar either.

18. Strathandler

Strathandler Strat-Talk Member

Aug 15, 2012
    North Carolina
    Another +1000 on the peavey transtube series. Some of the best amps ever made period.
    I have a silver stripe bandit from 95 and a special 212 from early 2000s.
    I will always have them. I have used everything.

19. kumachan

kumachan Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2013
    toronto
    do you mean the deluxe or the re issue? or both? i played a re issue, it sounded pretty nice. i loved the tweed. it was more power than i needed for rockin the living room