Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

UPDATED - Recording with a SM58 - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Dec 7, 2017.

1. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I've read numerous threads saying a Shure SM58 (and similar dynamic mics) does the job a condenser mic can do for recording...

For my circumstances: Recording in a closet in my apartment nothing extra put up, $60 interface but yes it has 48V phantom power, I'm not a great singer but I still won't use auto tune

1.) is this true? is there no point in me paying extra for a condenser mic if I can just use a Shure SM58 for practice, gigs, and recording

2.) also.... does putting on 48V phantom power ruin a dynamic mic like the Shure SM58?

*note, I've been recording with a $50 EV dynamic mic I use for live practices that does ok, I'm getting a SM58 in a week

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I've used SM58s for years, for everything. Phantom power doesn't hurt them, it should be switchable anyway.

simoncroft, carver and apm1991 like this.

3. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    thanks, so you'd agree not to buy a fancy $200 condenser mic.. just use the sm58 for recording?

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Generally speaking, a 58 is for vocals and a 57 is for instruments. If you already have an EV dynamic mic, you could use that for vocals and get a 57 for micing your amp. The 57 is more direct pattern, especially helpful for Live situations

A condenser might be nice for recording vocals at home, an acoustic guitar or other things. You can probably get a good condenser mic new (and especially used) for cheaper than you think. I got a MXL w/ a hard case for my daughter on CL for $40. Condenser sounds VERY different.

All that to say, the 58 will do ok for you. When playing live, use the 58 to sing and get a 57 for your amp.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    apm1991 likes this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

If I was buying just one mic, I'd buy the 58. They're bulletproof and work with anything, I've been using them for over 30 years.

6. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Thanks... the way I've been recording guitar is going through a Zoom pedal to the interface.. it sounds ok, but living in an apartment that is the best way for me.. I can post some of my music if you want to hear, I'm working on a xmas album currently... I have done live recording on my acoustic guitar with the EV mic though and it's not awful I suppose

7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I agree, they can do everything. At the end of the world the only thing left will be cockroaches, Twinkies, and SM58s

s5tuart, Thrup'ny Bit and apm1991 like this.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    A condenser mic will pick up every noise in the building. If you want your album to have doors slamming, children crying, and the TV from next door on it you definitely want to pick one up.:thumb:

Thrup'ny Bit and apm1991 like this.

9. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    last night my neighbor was singing to her child, I had to wait to do vocals... when I set it to phantom power it picks up everything.... Is it bad to use phantom power for a non-condenser mic?

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I would not use phantom power unless you have a condenser mic that requires the 48V phantom power.....you risk damaging the board or your mics in the long run otherwise....and it changes the sound according to you....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Hal Nico and apm1991 like this.

11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I've never used power, phantom or otherwise, on a dynamic mic (that I know of).

I agree with others. If I could only buy one mic, I'd probably buy a 58. I prefer a 57 for instruments, but if there is any chance you'll ever sing in it, buy a 58. I unscrew the ball when I mic an amp with a 58.

Unfortunately for me, my 58 somehow turned into a 48 couple of years ago after a gig. I expect someone else had their cheap-ass 48 magically turn into a 58. Need to get around to buying a replacement one of these days.

Thrup'ny Bit and apm1991 like this.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

I've used boards where phantom power is either on or off for donkeys years. Phantom power for the DI boxes. Boards, mics, unharmed, no difference to the sound on or off.

simoncroft and apm1991 like this.

13. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    wow good to know.. Ive been using it everytime for vocals... the mic still works fine so far though... either way I'll start recording without phantom power

Guitarmageddon likes this.

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I've never heard any difference in sound....but the OP claims there is one, therefore I recommended it be off......

Just for safety reasons too.....

15. Thrup'ny Bit

As I said in my original reply, it should be switchable.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

16. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

You can use a 58 for pretty much anything

just dont try to use it as a bike seat.....

apm1991 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Our drummer sat on one of my 58s, no damage except a bruised ****. :D

carver and apm1991 like this.

18. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    my phantom power is switchable... I can hear it does get louder and more sensitive if I turn it on.. it hasn't damaged the mic or anything else yet

19. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    The SM58 is a standard for live vocals. Part of that reason is the pickup pattern - if you point it away from something you want to NOT record or amplify, the mic will tend to reject the sound. A condenser mic is usually more sensitive, and will pick up sound reflected from the room much more than the dynamic mic.

I recorded some friends over the past weekend. I don't have a lot of mics, so I used an SM57 on the guitar amp, SM58 on vocals, which is the type of mic the singer often uses at gigs. I tracked the drums separately and used a CAD GXL 2200 as an overhead and an SM57 on the kick drum.

apm1991 likes this.

20. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    You might want to get a 57 and a 58. With a little luck you can find them used for $50 or so.

apm1991 likes this.