Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

UPDATED - Recording with a SM58 - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM.

1. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I just ordered a brand new SM58 that comes with a mic stand and xlr cable for $99 from musicians friend. 12 month 0%.. should have it by next week... no telling what people do with their mics these days

2. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Yet, being the key word here I think.

I wouldn't ever run 48 volts to a mic not designed for it.

joe_cpwe likes this.

3. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I'm going to stop using it.... hypothetically, what would happen to an acoustic/electric plugged in via xlr on phantom power

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Phantom power is meant to send a powered signal to a condenser mic in order to boost the sound level loud enough for the mixer to work with it....they have a different impedance....

Doing this with ANYTHING ELSE that does not require this 48V phantom power is plain dangerous....

Don't do it.....

s5tuart and apm1991 like this.

5. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Disagree. You will be amazed at what a decent condenser mic will do. Sm58/57 are great mics but their frequency response is nowhere near as good condenser. Plus if you get one with different polarity options you can really change the “space” around the vocals.

fezz parka and Guitarmageddon like this.

6. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    got it! thanks

Guitarmageddon likes this.

7. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    any specific name brand condenser mics that are popular/affordable?

8. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    a good sounding beginner condenser that won't break the bank is the MXL 990...if you don't mind this patriotic USA design on this special edition model, it's a HUGE steal at $57.50 regular $150

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-990s-patriot-limited-edition-condenser-microphone?rNtt=mxl 990&index=2

There's also a heritage edition with a nice case and shockmount for a little more - $80

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-heritage-edition-of-the-mxl-990-cardioid-condenser-mic?rNtt=mxl 990&index=8

You will probably need a pop filter in front of it when recording vocals....

9. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    wow that is a good deal!!! the patriot one isn't any different besides the color, why is it so cheap?... which one would you recommend, which one is better?

10. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    For $23 and change more I'd get the Heritage because it has the shockmount (kind of necessary because this mic will not mount to a stand using a normal mic clip) and the carrying case to protect it....

As for the 2 mics, they are exactly the same....

I suspect the Patriot one sold poorly because a lot of people might find it ugly.....that might be why it's on clearance....

11. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I just looked... Guitar Center has it for $54... I may go buy it and start using it today... what's better.. recording in an empty closet or an empty bedroom?

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I'm pretty sure it was the MXL 990 I got for my daughter off CL for $40. They're consistently about $50 used and about $100 new. I'm no pro, but it seemed like a great value. Has a real big sound.

apm1991 and Guitarmageddon like this.

13. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I would not recommend getting one without the proper shock mount.....

If it has the shock mount included, go for it...they can be $20-30 on their own....

Good luck!

As for vocal recording, isolation is key - somewhere where you're not going to get any reflective room reverb.....something with carpeting....a small bedroom, or a closet....whatever works.....add the vocals AFTER everything else is recorded so you don't get 'leakage' picking up other instruments etc in the vocal mic.....

You wouldn't want to say record in the middle of a bedroom with hardwood or laminate flooring.....it's going to have too much reverb and will muddy up the sound....

apm1991 likes this.

14. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Having bought a fair number of 'affordable' condensers - I'd use the 58 and save up for something slightly better. True, it's not as full range so might find a slight improvement in the sound, but I'm going to guess it sounds a bit harsh because the cheap condensers usually have a big bump hyping the sound around 2000 to 4000 hrz.

Best buy I've found yet is the Rode NT1 (not the NT1a - which is horribly hyped sounding.) It goes for $260 at Sweetwater and comes with a shock mount and pop filter. In an online test I heard putting the NT1 up against a Neuman U47 - it did surprisingly well. Not entirely there - but then not all U47's are the same either.

15. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I HAVE to use a shock mount with an MXL990?

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Phantom power ON will not hurt your dynamic mics.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

17. Seth McCormick

Seth McCormick Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Broussard, Louisiana
    Classic rock recordings were based on the 57 & 58. Both great mics.

18. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    I record my amp with a 57. It's basically a 58 with the ball off. As far as condensers go, my NTK got me by for years. Then a Sputnik. When I bought my U87ai, I found it unforgiving and super clean. Nowhere to hide. But they are incredible for bringing out every nuance I love in a vocal performance. The tail end of words doesn't disappear, inflections and vibratos are super clear. And vocals sit in a mix with no effort and take eq perfectly. They are fine quality but way out of the price range of the average home recorder. Like anything, you have to choose to invest in your sound and it doesn't always come cheap.

19. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Don't freak out over this folks. I used to sell pro audio gear and worked in the industry for years as a writer. In decades of working with mixing consoles and mics, I have never heard of anyone damaging a dynamic microphone by accidentally sending 48V Phantom Power to them.

A few people said that with certain dynamic mics, there was a slight crackling noise if the Phantom Power was left on.

While I'm not suggesting you use Phantom Power if you don't need it, please don't panic if you forgot to switch it off. :)

20. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Depends on what you're recording, distance from the source, the room etc. If you're close micing everything, then a dynamic is fine. Condensers can be wonderful. Ribbons are also wonderful. Large diaphragm dynamics like RE20's, MD 440 and 421, D12, SM7, and a couple of others are killer.

The 57 and 58 are good, consistent workhorses. But they aren't always the best tool for the job.

Bladesg likes this.