Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Upgrade MIM to AmStd?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by swampyankee, Nov 7, 2018.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee New Member!

Nov 7, 2018
    US
    I'v owned US Strats in the past and liked them, but not being able to afford one for awhile, got a MIM Strat, which I used as a work horse. It did ok, but I've always kept my eye out for another AmStd Strat. I've come across a mint 2000 complete with case candy etc., asking $900, and I'm tempted.
    But it's probably just for status since I don't really need the upgrade. But it would be nice to have a US Strat like I once had.
    Any other advantages to having an AmStd?

2. Josh_t24

Josh_t24 New Member!

Jul 12, 2018
    Lexington, KY
    Do it. If you have the money do it, you clearly want it! You live once, might as well enjoy it as much as you can!

3. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    I have two MIM Strats which I have modded/upgraded both to my liking. Every time I’ve gone to try an American Strat I just don’t find the difference enough to buy.

Funny thing is the last 6 American Strats I’ve tried I did not care for compared to my 2 MIM Strats and other MIM Strats I’ve tried.

And again this is just my opinion but then again others may see different. If US made makes you feel better, play better or whatever then go for it. Sounds like it’s what you have been after, so go for it ;)

Rastus, 93-Strat and Namelyguitar like this.
  4. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    I have a 2015 MIM Standard that I’ve put a loaded guard on.. now other than a few cosmetic differences, there’s no difference at all really. Lol

In fact I go to guitar stores and picking up other strats just makes me wanna go home and play mine.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Truthfully, $900 is too high for a used Am Standard. Shop around, and you will find one for under $800.

6. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    $900 USD seems a little steep for an American Standard. We get them up here for about $900 Canadian and typically it seems there are better prices in the US because it’s such a huge marketplace.

Nothing wrong with an American Standard. They’re a very nice guitar but... If I were going to buy a Strat like that, I’d be looking at the American Pro or the new MIM Player Strats.

Also, if you can find one, check out the Classic Player 50’s or Classic Player 60’s. I think they have better pickups than the American Standard and they come with the 2 point tremolo and some other modern apoitments, including a full size tremolo block. I’m fully biased because I’ve had an American Standard and I currently have a Classic Player 60s Strat.

Good luck, play lots of them and get the one that you really like.

TangerineDog likes this.
  7. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2014
    Oregon
    I got an American Standard awhile back for $600 after waiting for a deal to show up. It wasn't the color that I originally wanted but it is a great guitar. I also regularly play with an MIM Strat that makes no excuses for its heritage. Those are my two best Strats and they get a lot of use. I have put Kinman pickups in both of them but other than that they virtually stock.

Take your time, I think you can find one for well under the $900.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    The price is indeed too high.

That said, life is short, if you want it, get it. :thumb:

Rastus likes this.
  9. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you like your guitar you have, why switch? Whether you'd need to shell out $900, $800, or $700, that's still a lot of money.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    I've had my Mex Strat since 1996 and still love it. A couple of years ago I bought a 2014/5 American Standard
    and although I liked it I could not live with the med jumbo frets so I sold it and don't miss it.

Green Sub likes this.
  11. swampyankee

swampyankee New Member!

Nov 7, 2018
    US
    I also have a '91 AmStd Tele which I love. The neck shape with jumbo frets is what I'm most used to.

12. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    There's a lot of those way cheaper on reverb!

13. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2016
    USA
    $900 seems a little high, but if it's like brand new, not been altered, the right color, and has the fretboard you want, then get it.

And while MIM Standards can be awesome, especially from the last few years, my 3 MIA Standards are better than most that I have, and I have a few :) I should mention that, IMHO, the'60's Classic Player and Robert Cray are on par the MIAs.

Also, I will say that the MIM Player I last picked up is a pretty fine strat and holds it own right out of the box. I just wish that they would put these out with rosewood, I'd pay the difference and buy more colors! :D

Green Sub and Andrew Wasson like this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Am Stds are nice but I agree with the others regarding the price. I've bought a number of them for under $700 in the last 6 months, even from GC Used online if you are patient. Edited to say there are a couple at GC Used online right now at $699.

Rastus and Andrew Wasson like this.
  15. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

Aug 23, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I'm always swapping necks and loaded pick guards, between my American, Mexican and MIC CV's. I put my favorite neck and pickups, on the color body that I want to play. Other than reading the head stock, I don't think that most could tell the difference. They use Ping tuners made in Tiawan, on both American and Mexican models.

I've been looking for a nice American Standard for a couple of years. I haven't found one yet, that I wanted to buy. I did buy a used AVRI, 2 American Specials and MIM Classic 50. My advice is don't buy off the internet, because you want an MIA guitar. Play as many guitars that you can in person, and buy the individual guitar on it's merits. Not by where it was made.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    arcticstrat and Andrew Wasson like this.
  16. swampyankee

swampyankee New Member!

Nov 7, 2018
    US
    I spent some time searching Reverb for those $600-700 US Strats of which you speak and found none.
    Even if I found some in that price range, my desired color and fretboard combination would narrow the field considerably. This $900 AmStd with case candy is looking more of a deal, especially if I can negotiate...

17. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

As a work-horse guitar, you'll get 1-extra fret to use...And arguably better sound.

Re-sale value would be better too.

All the best & good luck in your search,

Rastus

18. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    They are out there. I found an American Standard with hardcase Tone Emporium " 69 Big City Blues" pickups as well as Fender locking tuners for $750 Canadian on Craigslist this morning. That’s somewhere around $570 US Dollars.

I’m tempted but I’m limiting myself to one Strat per year. Usually American Standards show up in Craigslist up here for around $900 Canadian which is about $680 US Dolllars.

19. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    he said it's mint condition and all case candies. Still not worth it? If it has a "new" aspect, I think it's worth it.

20. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Prices apparently vary by market. Right now on Craigslist where I am, there are three Am Standard Teles listed, for $850, $850, and $975. This is consistently where I see them. Of course that is asking price, not selling price. The Deluxe model goes for more.