Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Upgrades to your squire

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by chironomidkraut, Dec 10, 2011.

1. chironomidkraut

chironomidkraut Strat-Talk Member

What kinda upgrades have everybody done to their squires? Pics please show your baby off!! And tell why u made the upgrade.....
    Myself, I am first off gunna get a descent set of tuners, then some new pickups, and change white pick guard with a black one

Attached Files:

2. randypttt

randypttt Senior Stratmaster

This is my 03 Standard that I bought new (pic 1). I had a hard time getting used to the narrow nut width and also the frets were literally dangerous. I was playing my Tele a lot more and kept it around for 'Strat' sounds when I needed it for certain recordings.
    Two years ago I joined my first forum (TDPRI) and learned about the wonderful world of modding, so late in life, but found the solution to my Strat problems.

I've since bought a new Am Standard but decided to keep the Squier for modding. However, after the first mod (pic 2) which was replacing the neck with a Mighty Mite maple and trading all the plastic with a new CV60, I changed everything back (pic 3) once I had decided to use the CV for a trade for the Am Stand.
    Then I realized the two Standards looked almost identical so back under the modding knife she goes.

I got the parts, a Duncan JB hb, tort pg (again) and black plastic parts, last Sept and am waiting for the proper winter weather for a cozy mod time. Should be soon.

standard.jpg stratstan2.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

3. Stratty

Stratty Senior Stratmaster

Ole Strattty: was a Squier SE, went from rosewood to maple, standard to reverse headstock, and sperzel locking tuners.

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Hugh

Hugh Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

An '08 CV 60's neck and pick guard on an '08 CV 50's body. Stock CV neck plate, jack plate, pup covers, knobs, and tuners. Callaham Mexican Standard trem and Callaham aluminum shield plate, CTS 250k audio taper pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, Orange Drop .047 tone cap, Klein S6 pups.

[​IMG]

Why ? I had just switched from bass to guitar and started hangin out here on S-T. Everyone was getting a Classic Vibe and the reviews were positive. Found two used ones, swapped necks and kept my fave.

Had fun modding it, learned to solder.

6. Mr Rothery

Mr Rothery Strat-Talker

No pics at the moment, but here's what I've done to my HR Deluxe.

1 Extra spring
    Roller string trees
    Tusq nut

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. Misfit

Misfit Senior Stratmaster

Here is mine; '88 MIK

Revision ~'91: SD Hot Rails bridge; just couldn't cut trough the band sound with the stock SC, couldn't afford to replace all. Graphite saddles because it was "popping" with string bends. Hard-tailed with wood block.

Revision ~'09: Built in Roland GK-2a pickup, replaced pots. Floated trem.

To do: refret, replace middle/neck pups. Then it should easily last another 25 years!

I've just posted a build thread about it here:
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/diy...squier-roland-gk-2a-synth-mod.html#post767484

8. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy Banned

Nice Strats everyone!!!

9. Nigel T.

Nigel T. Strat-O-Master

[​IMG]

I've changed just about anything that could be changed. New pickups, new tuners, different whammy bar, new nut. I bought the thing as "a joke": a little girl's guitar that houses WW III. So it had to get the looks as if it is owned by a 6 year old girl, and sound as if Lamb Of God is on stage.

As a list:
    • Schaller tuners
    • GraphTech nut
    • 3 EMG pickups (81TW, 89, 89R)
    • Kahler whammy bar
    • new pickguard to house the new pickups
    • Bunch of stickers found in a local hardware store (was for wall decorations of a girl's room)

10. okoyono

okoyono Strat-Talk Member

A big, fat, steel tremolo block is THE upgrade for any strat that doesn't come with one.

11. DynoDave

DynoDave Strat-Talk Member

Just one thing on my Affinity so far...a replacement nut that spreads the strings just a little further apart.

12. Trout

Trout Strat-O-Master

I bought a 2005 Indonesian plywood hardtail Bullet yesterday for $39 at my favorite pawn shop. Olympic white (faded). The color spoke to me. I had to have it. I came home and bolted on a beautiful MIM rosewood neck (that I found for $60 a few weeks ago). Wait... is that upgrading a Squier or downgrading a Fender? :)

Tonight I will shield the cavities.

Tomorrow I will toss in a set of 57/62's I have on the bench and string it back up.

Lipstick on a pig. I hope she will sing.

Pics another day.