Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Upgrading from a Mustang...

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by tundrawalker00, Apr 21, 2018.

1. tundrawalker00

tundrawalker00 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Ludington, MI
    So I am looking for a twin amp to jump to from my Mustang 1v2. I want something with that chimey clean tone, but something that can give a good overdriven tone with a DS-1 or similar pedal. Just a keep-it-simple rig for use with a couple pedals or fly rig.

I tried a Vox last night that I liked at GC but they were too busy for me to get a pedal and go to town. Someone suggested a JC-120 and someone else suggested some of the Peavey chorus amps.

I'm also not averse to a modeling amp, being familiar with the Mustang and FUSE software.

Anyway, as Mrs. Giraldo said, hit me with your best shot...

2. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Personally, I have been using amplitube 4 with a power amp powering a cab. Never been happier.

3. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    Which amp model(s) do you like best on the Mustang?

4. tundrawalker00

Nov 6, 2017
    Ludington, MI
    Well, I've actually been leaning JC-120 so I have models of that based off of the Bassman and the Twin Reverb. Prior to that I was using the "Beauty Clean" preset based off the 65 Twin. However, that one got a little shrill with my distortion pedal when running the straight preset. (I was able to straighten that out some by using my laptop to access the "mid" knob that's not actually on the amp, but is accessible in FUSE. smh.)

It's basically for home use at this point, although some jamming or small gigs could happen down the line. I guess I'm looking at cheaper/lighter alternatives to a JC-120, but I haven't actually played a JC-120 yet. I'm not too hung up on brand, but I know that amp has a reputation for working well with pedals. The Peaveys don't like to distort, I'm told. At least the teal stripe ones...

I don't dislike the Mustang 1v2, so the III is a possibility, but just wanted to see what people's thoughts are since I'm in Lansing today and have some time to look at amps at Elderly, Music Manor and GC.

5. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    Play through some amps now that you have the chance. Be sure to check how they sound at different levels of volume. Some amps and speakers aren't happy at low levels, or are hard to adjust to them.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. tundrawalker00

Nov 6, 2017
    Ludington, MI
    That's the plan, I'd just like to narrow the field a little.

7. tundrawalker00

Nov 6, 2017
    Ludington, MI
    Honestly I'd like to do away with the laptop aspect of it. I don't mind programming or playing with presets, but I'd rather not have to have the laptop out more than once a quarter...I worked on a computer for decades as a reporter and now as a Realtor. The computer is a buzzkill.

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    A Mustang III would be HUGE upgrade from the I. I had the MIII and really liked it for its clean tones. Very punchy tone. I replaced my MIII with a Katana 100 combo and never looked back. Caveat is that I found the Katana only sounded good after a deep dive with their SW. I think the Katana 100 combo is the perfect home amp. For me, the Katana has a very punchy/present tone but it also takes pedals well.

If you have a GC nearby you have the option to "audition" amps and return/replace as needed.

Some higher gain Mustang sweetness from a fellow Strat-Talker:
    http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/prs-thru-the-mustang-iii.460285/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    tundrawalker00 and GunMonkeyINTL like this.
  9. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    I’m with @johnnymg , look at a Mustang IIIv2 if you can find one. If you’re happy with the I, the III will knock your socks off.

It’s cheap, light, does everything your I will do, and doesn’t require that ever hook a computer up to it. It sounds good at the same low levels as your I, but will rattle the pictures on your walls if you want it to.

Also, all the stuff you set up on your III, can be ported over to your I. Spend your time tweaking your III, and then the only time your computer is hooked up to your I is, when you’re copy/pasting tones.

tundrawalker00 and johnnymg like this.
  10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    My mustang amp is my favorite app, too. The factory tones on it kinda suck, but if you get into editing, it is a really good sounding amp. I also went on eBay and got a discontinued mustang floor pedal for live playing. Love it. And you can copy your exact tones to the amp/pedal.

So before someone wants to upgrade, they should really give the mustang a solid chance first.
    Fender supersonic on the burn channel is my favorite. Set to lowish gain. Great cleanish OD for single coil guitars. That, with a little reverb/delay and compression is unbeatable to me

tundrawalker00 likes this.
  11. tundrawalker00

Nov 6, 2017
    Ludington, MI
    Thanks for the tips. Funny enough, I came to that conclusion after visiting three shops and playing. Decided to buy the footpedal for my Mustang I and keep plugging away. I liked what I heard of the Katana, but if you've ever tried to test at a GC on a weekend, you know what I was up against. I came to the conclusion that there's so much going on with software/bluetooth/wifi/phone and tablet apps right now that it's hard to do apples to apples across brands. And I never did find a JC-120 to test out. There's one 100 miles north of me that I may get to try if my daughter's softball schedule takes me that way.

GunMonkeyINTL likes this.
  12. Mesaman

Mesaman Strat-O-Master

Oct 20, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    Bought a Katana 50. The mustang III v2 is sitting in the closet. I like the Mustang but I'm really having fun with the Katana. Wish I could get the best of both in one amp. I know that's asking a lot especially considering the low cost of these amps.

13. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    If you are looking at Vox, you should look out for a used AC10. It is a great little amp, if you are a bed/home player then the 10 watts is plenty of amp.

14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Here is a song I recorded. All electric parts played with a tele via a mustang I.

Mesaman likes this.