Join Strat-Talk Today

Used American standard 2014 or new player?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Karol, Mar 4, 2019.

Which strat?

1. New player + hard case

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Used 2014 American standard + hard case

56 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. Karol

Karol New Member!

Hi there,

I'm new to strats (I have a Gretsch now) - I only dreamt about having one but I always thought I would only go for a Mexican.

Now though found something used and will be seeing it in the coming weekend. The guy is a private seller and promises that the guitar is in the excellent condition (one tiny dent only) and would sell it with an original hard case.

Assuming new player + hard case would cost exactly the same - which would you choose?

Also what should I look at when inspecting the used American standard?

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

A 2014 Am Std Strat should have Fender’s “Custom Shop Fat 50s” pickups, which are vintage style, (ie: cloth wrapped wires, beveled pole pieces, fiber bobbins).

If the guy is willing to pull the pickguard then you can verify this.

It should also come with “aged white” pickup covers and knobs.

The second tone pot should be of a “no load” type that “sticks” when turn all the way up. When set this way it bypasses the tone control entirely, providing maximum brightness if so desired.

The bridge should be a 2-point type with stamped steel saddles.

The neckplate should have a little hole in the middle of it for the “Micro-Tilt” adjustment feature.

And when you play it you should sound like Eric Clapton (just kidding) ;)

Anyway, all that said, I’d personally try both and then decided which is better. Plus, there’s something special about buying new, knowing it’s yours and nobody else’s. On the other hand, if you’ve always wanted an Am Std then I can highly recommend that as well...

...just my 2 cents worth...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  3. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

That last run of American Standards were awesome. I had one, sold it and I would buy another one.

CyFan4036, Kosh and Karol like this.
  4. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-talk! :)

Those four words say it all.

Don't the American Standards cost an arm and a leg down there?

Seems like a no-brainer, unless you play the American and it is a dog (highly unlikely)

MIM Players are great guitars but for the same coin out of pocket, I would take the USA. Get it set up like you want and you have a forever instrument.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Bob the builder, BigNorm and Karol like this.
  5. LawFlow

LawFlow New Member!

I have the 2014 American Standard and it's exceeded my expectations. The MIM looks interesting. I'm not much help. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Get the 2014 standard. They are a great guitar and the values used are rock solid down here if you change your mind about it. I’ve never lost money on used USA strats. If money isn’t a factor it’s a no brainer...

7. integra evan

integra evan Strat-Talker

American Standard gets my vote. That generation produced great guitars. Plus they hold their value. That said, theres nothing wrong with the MIM.

arcticstrat and Karol like this.
  8. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

2014 MIA Standard all day long.

I just just happen to have a pair of FSR 2014 America Standards! :)

[​IMG]

9. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I have MIM and an Amstd. Both are great guitars, and I would recommend either. Buy the one that feels good in your hands.

Carlexis, Groovey and Karol like this.
  10. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

I guess I should have mentioned, besides those two In the pic, I have 2 other MIAs, and 9 other various MIMs.

The latest is the Buttercream MIM Player you see in my avatar. It is quite the Strat, and definitely holds its own against my MIAs, I'll even say i prefer it over one of the MIAs. You can't go wrong either way you go. It's just that down the road you'll be wishing you had at least one MIA Strat. I know ;)

To be honest, if the MIM Players used Rosewood for the fret fretboards instead of Pau Ferro, I'd have a couple more of those Players in the corral right now. I may get one of the Players in Polar White w/maple.

Good luck :)

Karol likes this.
  11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

No question, I’d go for the player. It’s a great guitar.

12. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Used MIA. A quality guitar that WILL hold its value, unlike the MIM.

Nadnitram, BigNorm and jaybones like this.
  13. Karol

Karol New Member!

@Andrew Wasson Why would you go for the player?

It seems that the used MIA I wanted to go for is no longer available... the guy doesn't want to sell anymore :/ shame... need to decide whether I want to hunt for something else or just stick to MIM... thanks for your advices so far!

14. Andrew Wasson

I’d choose the Player because it has all the features of the American Standard and it’s brand new. Mexican Fender guitars are really quite good. Especially the new ones. The pickups in the new Player series are getting a lot of good reviews as well but of course that’s going to depend on your preferences.

Good luck with your hunt and post back once you decide what you’re getting.

Groovey likes this.
  15. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I voted USA, because well USA.

Carlexis likes this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I voted USA because every USA I’ve had has been better than any of the Mexican ones that have come through my hands. I’d pick a squier CV or VM before I would get another Mexican one. The Squiers don’t seem to depreciate as much when it’s time to sell them. I’ve sold Mexican strats at 50% of new cost, and Squiers at about 70 to 75% of what they go for new. Don’t ask me why this is because I don’t know. Although the new MIM player with Floyd Rose looks pretty tempting to me.

17. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

'Murica

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Andrew Wasson

I’ve been really lucky with my MIM Strats. I’ve read about a few examples of MIM problems but I really like both of mine. The 94 is pretty rough around the edges. The body has a few scrapes and scuffs (and visible glue joints) but it plays really well. The CP60’s is as good as any production American Strat I’ve played except for the EJ Strat. The EJ Strat is crazy good; so good that I’d probably only have one Strat if I bought it a few years ago.

Depreciation up here seems about the same for USA Strats and MIM, you lose about 40% of what you bought it for new. Squiers up here have next to no resale value. There’s a huge supply and not so much demand. It’s a buyers market so I tend to watch Craigslist and jump on anything that really catches my eye.

BigNorm, Omiewise65 and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-Talker

Many friends who tried player series told me that they are not good guitars. By my side I can say that I don't also love American Standards. I've played a lot and I've alway found that they are guitars to do many things but nothing good. I would go with a Classic, a Classic Player, a Road Worn or a Classic Lacquer with some minor upgrades if you feel the need (pickups and bridge). But in many cases this is not needed. On the Classic Player, for example, I think there is no need for mods, I don't like TEX-MEXs on the Road Worns but many people does so It's a matter of tastes. I would change the bridge with a full sized saddles one on every mex model for sure. The Tremolo block also is a matter of tastes. If you want a 60's/70's kind of vibration you should go with zinc, for a 50's kind of tone go with steel. Steel is not always better as many people says. I have zinc on my 70's and steel on my 50's and it's a very different "kind of vibration".

20. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I wonder how the MIA guitars fare as far as resale in the OP's country.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.