Join Strat-Talk Today

Used American standard 2014 or new player?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Karol, Mar 4, 2019.

Which strat?

1. New player + hard case

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Used 2014 American standard + hard case

58 vote(s)
    89.2%
  1. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Strat-O-Master

My Classic Player 60s strat , 2009, has a rosewood fretboard . That' s what they told me when I bought it brand new in 2010 .
    I really love this guitar and aside from the truss rod access it feels like a perfect strat . Great pups , too . Thanks for reading

Elvie and Andrew Wasson like this.
  2. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

It's hard to tell... In Canada, a used MIA is selling for $1000 to $1200 depending year, model and condition of the guitar...The MIM player's serie is selling for $879. plus taxes (+ 15 % ) , that brings us in the same ball park as used MIA. For my self, I think MIA will keep their value better in the years. I have two MIA ( standard 97 & American deluxe 2006 )and a Classic 50 MIM. The classic 50 is at par in quality , if not better than the MIA standard but it also sell new for $1179 plus taxes ...So we could debate a long time for what is the move to do..

3. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Having just picked up a 2016 American Standard Strat, I couldn't recommend that option more. I've since learned that the last generation of American standards are highly regarded, and I can tell why.

4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

You need to shop out west if you’re looking for an American Standard. They’re more in the $800 range out here. People will advertise them for $1000 but they just languish on Craigslist for months without moving.

I saw an American Standard go for $500 on CL about 6 weeks ago. It was an outlier though. I’ve never seen a US guitar that cheap. It was sold and relisted for $800 within hours and then sold again. I never really bonded with my American Standard so I didn’t pursue it but for $500 I should have jumped on it.

IMO, the Player Series is a bargain. It’s inherited a lot from the American Standard. The only way to know if it’s for you is to play it of course.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Omiewise65 and BigNorm like this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

From my experience of my 2014 AmStd I’d say without hesitation it’s the one to go for. I’ve had several Mex models. They’ve all been excellent guitars and good value but, the Am’s have that extra ‘something’. I’ve had mine from new, have bought and sold several Mex’s during that time. That says it all. If it’s genuine and in good condition I’d go for it. You’d be adding the price of a decent case or gigbag to the Mexican as well.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    CyFan4036 likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Mine’s got black guard, knobs and p/u covers.......................it’s Butterscotch blonde!

7. Wrighty

PS, was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago, guitars seemed on a par with the UK price-wise. I’ll get out now and leave room for someone else to post! Good luck whichever way you go.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

You are lucky you westerners... Here in Quebec, there is NO American fender for less than a $1000... and since I'm also shopping Ebay sometimes, I never saw a cheaper MIA strat coming from anywhere in Canada ...

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I just bought a player series a couple months ago and I really love it. But, if I had a line on a am st for the same money I probably wouldn't be able to say that.

10. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Hi @Karol. Welcome from ... Up Above?

I voted for the American Standard strictly from a value standpoint. In my market, used AM Standards are worth roughly 30% more than new Players. So for the same price, it would have been no contest. I see, though, that the seller of the MIA has reconsidered. That's a shame.

I have owned a handful of MIM Standard Strats and Teles, and all were solid instruments. I've not played a Player Series, but folks on here seem to rave about their quality.

I wish you luck! The great thing about Strats is that, as long as you do a little homework, it's tough to go wrong with either new or used.

11. Andrew Wasson

Sometimes we are lucky... I just looked for American Standards on Craigslist and there are none listed below $1000. After Christmas there were a couple. There is a one sunburst that has been listed for most of the last year for a trade for a Telecaster. I’ve seen a few American Profesionals for $1,300 - $1,400 too. Also after Christmas. I think they list for about $1,800 up here.

BigNorm likes this.
  12. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 Strat-Talk Member

Both are going to be great guitars. Giggable and reliable. Which one will hold value over the years? The American.

Andrew Wasson and CyFan4036 like this.
  13. GK34

GK34 Strat-Talker

The Player Series Strats that I have tried seem just as good to me as the American Standards. For the same money though, I would just assume have the used American Standard.

14. Carlexis

Carlexis New Member!

My first Strat and actually my very first guitar was bought by my family for my young at heart 60th, a 2009 black Mexican. I'm a real hack to be truthful but enjoying my journey especially as I now have more time having recently retired. For my tuppence worth I think Mexican Fenders are well finished, offer great value for money and play really well once set up properly but I think that part of my Fender dream was to always own a Strat made in the motherland.

Then in 2014 Fender came out with a limited run of the stunning Strat Select in Exotic Quilt with AAA maple top, birds-eye maple neck and an unusual channel bound rosewood fingerboard. It was love at first sight & I reluctantly traded in my Mex and dug deep into my pockets. I'm not sure whether you guys think this model fits into the Standard category but it has a similar spec and I wanted to cut my teeth to make my first comment on the Forum. The detailing and craftsmanship of the Select model is amazing and although the guitar hasn't improved my playing ability, this model is a delight to hold and to admire alongside my recently acquired Telecaster US Deluxe 2014 as a treat for my upcoming 70th Rock'n Roll year.

I'm now in guitar heaven and having just joined this Forum, its great to feel part of your fraternity and to read though the comments and suggestions posted by so many fellow Strat enthusiasts and especially to pick up new ideas and ponder over your differing opinions. Let's play on until our fingers bleed!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  15. Gemini 51

Gemini 51 Strat-Talk Member

I've a 2014 American standard and it has the Fat 50's, they're really good then a couple of years ago I bought a mint 2015 Mexican in olympic white and which the PO had removed the entire pickguard so I bought a new American standard loaded pickguard from Stratosphere which I guess has upgraded it, really don't know how I'd value it, it's a tough call to choose between the two but if pushed I'd take the American one purely for the extra feet and the 2 point tremolo.

16. Gemini 51

Gemini 51 Strat-Talk Member

Last line should have said "extra fret", bloody predictive text......again

Carlexis and Andrew Wasson like this.
  17. 68deluxe

68deluxe Strat-Talk Member

Get the AS, years down the road it will have more value. If it verifies as the real deal and is in EXC shape it's a no brainer.

18. Buster Jingles

Buster Jingles Strat-Talk Member

Mexican Fenders are great guitars. Its important to note that most of the great era Fenders 50s and 60s where built by Mexicans working in the American plant. Just pick the guitar that feels good. You will know the right one because you won't want to put it down.

Gemini 51 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  19. Andrew Wasson

I’m pretty fortunate. I’ve got a few guitars. Not like some of the guys who have dozens of guitars but I’ve got a few. So this morning I was thinking about the Strats I have and the one I don’t have. The three Strats I have are killer guitars. They couldn’t be more dissimilar but I could grab any one of them and play my best without being handicapped by the instrument. One is a $250 94 MIM Squier Series Strat that I set up quite nicely, the other is a MIM Classic Player 60’s and the last is an Eric Johnson Strat. The one I sold was an American Standard.

To me, it’s not about resale. I could care less. I’ve given away more guitars than I’ve resold and I took a loss on the American Standard when I let it go. The number one thing I want in a guitar is playability and sound. If it plays well and sounds good, it will be with me for the duration (just ask my 1981 Ibanez Artist). There’s no doubt my Eric Johnson Strat plays and sounds better than the others but my Classic Player 60’s is right behind it and is light years better than my old American Standard (it was a 90’s model) and so is my MIM Squier Series Strat.

I don’t know why my American Standard was such a lemon compared to the other three I have. Maybe it was made late on a Friday or maybe it’s just a recipe that doesn’t work with my playing. Regardless of what it is, it has prejudged my opinion of them. If I were looking for a new guitar and the choice was a new Player Series or a used AS, I’d more than likely choose the one that isn’t the AS.

20. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Man, that kind of thinking is part of the problem with the MIM vs MIA. I doubt many people care who makes their guitar as long as it’s done right. It’s absurd to think Fender is so bad at business that they would make their middle line guitar as good as a MIA. They aren’t and never will be. This isn’t to say that MIM aren’t great guitars, they are, only to point out that MiA vs MiM isn’t about ethnicity, it’s about product placement. And if folks don’t understand that then I will sell you Chevy Cruzes all day long so that you can tell everyone that’ll listen how it’s as good and a better value than the Camaro. ;)

Carlexis likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.