Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Used guitars listed as "new!!" on eBay

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Jul 10, 2018.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Has anyone else noticed the growing trend for private sellers to list used guitars as "new" or "new - other" on eBay? Or perhaps it's just happening on eBay UK? Often these guitars are several years old!

"New" means it comes with a full manufacturer's guarantee from a dealer authorised to sell it & provide any necessary after sales service. Yet a growing number of sellers seem to believe that it's OK to describe used guitars as new simply because they haven't been played very much & don't have any (or many....) scratches or dents. Isn't that what the word "mint" is for?

And often they ask "new" prices too! It just seems misleading & dishonest to do this. And eBay allows this to happen....

2. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Yeah this bugs me too and I usually just won't deal with these people. Plus I rarely buy new guitars anyway. I did make an exception for a Tele just because it went so cheap on auction though. He had it marked as brand new and even stated it was brand new in the description when it obviously had been used quite a bit from the pics and was several years old. The pics were good enough so I figured I knew what I was getting. Same guy just slapped a label on the case to mail it lol. I think his dishonesty hurt the final price. He had it listed poorly too though.

With that said I still prefer Ebay's system to what Reverb has done to try to stop this problem which is to only let huge corporate sellers list things as new. Everyone else can only list as mint and you are even supposed to take brand new items out of the box to take a pic of them. I'm not willing to open a brand new item which hurts the selling price, I simply sell it on Ebay instead unopened. Stuff goes for more on Ebay anyway. Plus Ebay's (relatively) new rules protect the buyer from this. I think a lot of these people will think twice after they get a case opened for them for "not as described" and have to give a full refund and pay for return shipping out of their pocket.

Strat Jacket likes this.

3. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's nothing. This is how my blue Thinline Tele arrived - the address label was stuck to the other side....

o_O

IMG_2625.JPG

4. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    That is nuts.

simoncroft likes this.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yes. But it's a Tele - it wasn't far off from being in tune! :D

And it's a great guitar too.

6. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Also;
    Define 'new'.
    When I bought my MIM Strat from the LGS it had been hanging on the wall less than a week...I'm pretty sure about this because my son was taking weekly lessons at the LGS at the time and while he played downstairs, I browsed upstairs in the guitar room...and I hadn't seen it before. Even so, I could see some scratches on the pickguard from somebody playing it in the store. I believe I purchased this in 2004, but in tracing the S/N after joining this forum I learned it was built in 2002. So...what's the story? I don't know and may never know. Was it a return for someone? Did it sit in the box in the basement for a year+?
    As for my new MIM Tele...I have no idea how long that one hung on the wall before I spied it. It's been handled before, definitely. So, do we only consider a guitar 'new' if the box is unopened?
    I believe that's probably the correct way, with everything else falling under the 'mint' category.

altar likes this.

7. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Oh wow that really is crazy

I only consider it truly new if it's in an unopened factory box. Even then I've gotten a couple of dirty ones and one with a broken string already.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Imo.. if it’s from a dealer, it can be new. If it’s from a random guy in his house, without a sealed box.. it’s used. Even if it were in a sealed box, still isn’t new from a dealer.

You can’t buy a car from a dealership then sell it as new on Craigslist, at a new price.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I bought a 1x 12 combo from an out of State GC and it was wrapped like that but was inside a box also.

They did not skimp on the bubble wrap and it was no issue even though my first impression was WTF!

Strat Jacket likes this.

10. henderman

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Exactly. A car becomes used the moment it is titled to the first purchaser.

Even if you have a fork truck put it on a flatbed towtruck and have it delivered and never start or drive it, it is still used.

11. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Thank goodness I listed mine as "previously owned."

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I bought a guitar from a London dealer, a MIM Classic Series 60s Tele, ten years or so ago. It didn't really work for me & I took it back & got something rather more expensive instead, which I still have. I had owned the Tele for less than two weeks, played it at one rehearsal & then took it back. And although they gave me a good price for it, they said that they couldn't now sell it as new because it had been owned by someone else.

Yet that Tele was a good deal closer to "new" than most of the guitars listed on eBay as "New". This one is six years old!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2012...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

13. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    So say you bought something from Musician's Friend (actually the ones responsible for the "new" dirty /broken string guitars mentioned previously) and it was still sealed in the plastic just the way you got it from them and you want to sell it. You guys would be ok with having to sell it as used and take a loss just because you technically aren't a dealer? What if you have a resellers license for your state? Should you still not be allowed to sell it as new like on Reverb unless you are some large volume seller?

14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    you can call it "like new" or "as new" and tell that it was just received yesterday, with plastic wrap still on it, but IMO once it's been sold from a dealer to an individual, it's used. You're free to ask the new price, you just probably will never get it, and that is the most important thing. On guitars, you'll lose significant amounts of money on resale.

Returning it is always a better option: if it is truly that new, you can get all your money back. If you've held onto it long enough to where it isn't returnable, then it definitely isn't new anymore.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Strat Jacket and henderman like this.

15. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    s/b "LIKE NEW" to describe the condition, not NEW. If NEW-OTHER , the "OTHER" needs to be fully disclosed in the description. Pricing is another matter altogether.

Strat Jacket likes this.

16. GitBox Newbie

GitBox Newbie Strat-Talk Member

Dec 18, 2014
    NYC
    Most, if not all of the major instrument manufacturers, including Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc, won’t honor the manufacturer’s warranty unless you have a receipt from an authorized dealer. So it would seem that an individual selling their brand new played for a day guitar has to to call it used.

17. henderman

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    In this situation the warranty a new purchase comes with is void if you resell it even if it truly is new...

So almost no one will pay full price and not get a warranty when they can pay full price at an authorized dealer and get the warranty.

18. YeOldeRocker

YeOldeRocker Strat-Talk Member

Apr 25, 2017
    White River Junction, VT
    Guitars bought in stores are generally used, in that they were available for others to try out. Other industries will call these "floor models", and sometimes discount them, but I've never seen guitars listed (or discounted) as such, unless there is obvious damage to them. Then they're often called "open box," usually with a modest discount. Some of these are actually returns, so they may have even been gigged once or twice.

But many of these "floor model" guitars are basically new, and come with a full manufacturer warranty (hence the expression "brand new"). I have no problem playing a guitar others have tried; it's not a virgin for sacrifice, it's an instrument model that was not previously owned, gigged, or badly mistreated. And fully under warranty. Since I rarely buy a guitar, used or new, without first playing it, I sort of have to accept that most guitars I've bought were, in fact, either floor models or pre-owned, and not still packaged from the factory.

Once a person buys a guitar and leaves a store with it, it becomes used, no matter what story they might tell me about never playing it. Who buys a guitar and never plays it? Reeks of the car salesman who tells me the used car was only driven by a little old lady going to church on Sundays. It's either well-worn or not, and no longer has the first-owner warranty. So - mint condition or not - it's depreciated considerably and should be sold as such.

My surly opinion this morning, anyway...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

19. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    That's true for Fender guitars but most factory warranties aren't like that from my understanding. Even most cars have transferable warranties if you sell to a private party. I guess I was speaking in more general terms. I definitely agree with you as far as guitars go though.

Strat Jacket and henderman like this.

20. henderman

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Some brands will let you sell and if it is still under warranty they will honor it but it is rare, I think MESA will transfer a warranty...

There are many car warranties that will transfer also, but most things are original buyer with a receipt is required to get the warranty.