Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Used guitars listed as "new!!" on eBay

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    This chaps my ass when I'm on Craigslist. The best part is when they're selling a guitar I can buy off of Guitar Center brand new for, say, $200, and they have theirs, which is used (lightly or not; IT IS USED.) for $180. And then they wonder why it won't sell. o_O

Strat Jacket likes this.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Oh yeah, all kinds of affinities on my local FB/CL for 135-200 dollars.. Nobody's paying that, you goobers.

Believer7713 and Cold Shot like this.

3. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Most companies don't seem to enforce their warranties nearly as strictly as they are worded in my experience especially with lower value items. They don't always even ask for a receipt. Like you said it depends on the brand. You are completely right though you should assume it covers the original purchaser only if you are unsure or if it states that. But I still can't see most companies leaving you out to dry even then.

So yeah you are right better safe than sorry especially on high dollar items.

henderman likes this.

4. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Bear in mind that GC or MF pricing is usually well below MSRP.
    MSRP on most Fenders is stupid-high and even an authorized dealer like the one I frequent can do a pretty deep discount.
    Sellers should take that into consideration (but they don't) much like the doofus that bases the price of the not-so-hot car he's selling on Kelley Blue Book.

simoncroft likes this.

5. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    It's not only the warranty issue it's sale of goods act in the UK where you have recourse if it's faulty to the retailer who sold it to you. This as far as I know isn't transferable as you have no contract with the retailer. On the age of the guitar though they do often hang around in the supply chain or the shop for some times. I have known people purchase brand new guitars that were made two or three years earlier.

6. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    ...and, would you consider that a 'new' guitar?
    Would you pay MSRP of a 2018 Ford F150 for a 'new' untitled 2015 F150 with zero miles?
    Of course not. You would expect a deep discount.

7. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    It's just like going to GC.

They let someone take a guitar home to buy&try, the customer brings it back (up to 45 days), and it's up on the wall again as **New**.

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Because I used to be a dealer – but have not been for many years – I know exactly what makes something 'new'. As others have rightly said, an item is 'new' when you are the first end-user. You have therefore bought the item with the intention of using it, and have legal protections regarding the item being fit for the purpose it was sold for, and working for a reasonable time (usually a year, unless you took out an extended warranty, or the manufacturer offers a Lifetime Guarantee).

For these reasons, I am absolutely clear when I sell something unused on ebay that: "I cannot describe this item as 'new' because I am not a dealer. However, it is in the manufacturer's unopened packaging"... or whatever accurately describes the item. Usually, I get a fair price for the things I sell because I have good track record for being scrupulously honest. This is to my benefit as well as the buyers'. I don't want this stuff back and I don't want to be issuing refunds!

Items a dealer sells that are new but no longer in pristine condition are best described (in the UK) as 'Shop Soiled', or 'Ex-Demo'. Items that are sold by a distributor in less than pristine condition – usually because they have been returned – are known in the trade as 'B Stock'. In all three cases, the end user should expect that the item is not completely factory fresh, but is fully functioning, has not been subjected to any significant wear, and carries a full guarantee.

The on-line sellers who don't know this stuff are amateurs, and hopefully achieve poor prices for their grubby and incorrectly described merchandise. Unfortunately, they can burn a few people along the way.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Strat Jacket and stratman323 like this.

9. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    That ain't right.

vid1900 likes this.

10. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    There are many sold as new from a 'seller' that is not a Fender dealer, and not a store that actually carries an inventory of new Fender products.

New? Yeah, sure.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Exactly.

12. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    They are all your friend until there are..."issues"...

13. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Ebay obliges sellers to register as either 'Private' or 'Dealer' members. Why don't they make it impossible to describe something as 'New' unless you are a dealer? Better still, why not compel anyone who describes themselves as a 'Dealer' to list and display what brands – if any – they are Authorised Dealers for? Even buying from a 'grey' importer can cause you warranty problems if you are based in the wrong territory.

14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I've often thought that MSRPs are artificially inflated to make you feel like you're getting a good deal on it. The actual retail price is usually about the same at any store you go to that sells that product. So I often don't go by MSRPs.

Strat Jacket likes this.

15. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree, and I also agree with wanting to get as much money as you can get back out of an item you're selling. But usually, I'll list an item, depending on its condition, for a solid and fair price. Depending on the situation, I may budge on the price. But for the most part, my price is firm. If you want it bad enough, you'll pay what I'm asking.

Strat Jacket likes this.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Trouble with this idea is that only one person could ever try a new guitar, thus rendering it used.

Strat Jacket likes this.

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Great, I’m looking for a ‘54 new old stock Strat with a big discount ‘cos it’s old.

18. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    They don't want to sell it.

Their wife said to put some of those guitars they never play up for sale.

"Honey, I have not had a single inquiry. It's summer/winter; nobody buys guitars in the summer/winter...."

19. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

20. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

Apr 9, 2015
    Magrathea
    Yeah, I definitely don’t want a “Pre-loved guitar”. I think I saw that on an episode of “My Strange Addiction.”