Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

V-Mod Pickups (Volume Inconsistency)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bbark33, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bbark33

Bbark33 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Ironton
    I am writing this post to warn players about the new American Pro series. They come stock with the Tim Shaw designed V-Mod pickups, which in my opinion are some of the least dynamic pickups I’ve ever played in my life.

The dynamics in the low register are amazing, however once you get to the high b and the high e string you get absolutely no touch sensitivity and probably a 30 percent volume drop in the b string in relation to the g, d, a, and e. It’s an absolute tragedy that such a poorly designed pickup could be placed in such a wonderfully crafted instrument. I love the way it plays, looks, and feels. However, for 1400 dollars it should sound amazing too.

Upon inspecting the pickups, I found something laughable to the point of nearly vomiting. The b string pole is literally under the surface of the plastic part of the pickup. Why on earth would someone design a pickup that way??? To prevent treble spike?

This design hurts dynamic guitarists who are able to naturally control the volume of each string and to me this particular design acts as a set of training wheels to prevent the b string from being to harsh. They must have designed these pickups for poor, inarticulate players. Definitely not professional level players who know how to keep string volume under control.

These pickups are a joke, please for the love of god do not spend your money on the American Pro unless you have the money to instantly replace the pickups in them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, at least you ddn't get all excited and hyperbolic about it.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum but you are obviously a 'n00b' with not much experience....

#1 - pickups can have the sound change DRASTICALLY by playing with and adjusting their height

#2 - it's VERY common to have staggered pickup poles with one of them below the surface of the cover

#3 - joining a forum just to put down a product with your first post is laughable

4. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    Easy there fella, I have a set in a partscaster and at first I didn't like them but after adjusting the height and matching them to the right amps I have to say I really dig them. They are not that chimey Strat sound that you have in your head but are awesome at what they do. Of my four Strats the one that has them is usually the one I pickup when I enter the room, when I built the pick guard for it I also left the treble bleed out and did a .022 cap. Tinker with them or get rid of them YMMV.

Nate D likes this.
  5. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    And against the rules

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    You've never played noiseless pickups, have you?

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Strat-O-Master

Apr 21, 2014
    Omaha
    Fixed it for you.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I agree with the other long time members here, though I must admit I certainly have not seen much love for these Stratocaster, V-Mod pickups. On the other hand, the V-Mods in the American Professional Telecaster seem pretty darned great!

And to @Bbark33 welcome to the forum and now that you've vented a little steam, maybe you can share some of your Stratocaster experiences, etc? This is a great forum, frequented by a lot of great folks, who play some great music!

YMMV,
    Gene

9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Wow! Why don’t you tell us how you really feel?

Namelyguitar, Bodean, Nate D and 3 others like this.
  10. Dr Cannonball

Dr Cannonball Strat-Talk Member

May 9, 2017
    Maryland
    Hahaha. “Anyone who disagrees with my opinion is bad at guitar and POOR!”

Maybe I should feel embarrassed to write this... but, I love the V-mods in my tele!

bsman, Electgumbo, AfroBill and 3 others like this.
  11. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

Did you adjust pickup height? :p

12. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    people who play well make any pickup sound good.

13. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-Talker

Oct 22, 2011
    Ireland
    Try some SCN's, I guarantee you fall in love with those V mods.

14. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 9, 2014
    Dumpster diving
    I feel as though you can never blame how a guitar sounds only on its pickups. Way too many variables without even getting into what amp is being used how long a cable, how many effects..... yada yada. I have seen so many people say this sucks and that is the best thing ever and then others will argue to the death that ceramic magnet pickups are just as good as this or that. Maybe everybody is right maybe everybody is wrong, maybe a little of both.

15. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    yeah, horrible... :rolleyes: Everyone has got different ears. I for one like the (IMHO) modern leaning sound of the V-mods. Welcome to the forum BTW.

IMG_0514.jpg

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  16. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
  17. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Welcome to Strat-Talk … I am looking forward to more of your reviews :)

18. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    I can't complain about my V-mods. They sound pretty authentic to me. I did have to play with pickup heights, but that's common for most guitars. And, I should mention that the tone controls are particularly useful combined with the V-mods.
    If the OP were to spend a little more time with the guitar, I'm sure he'll find the sounds he's looking for.
    If not, there's always a Gibson forum to join.

19. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    My hearing must be bad because Kenny sounds pretty good in that first video.

problem-child likes this.
  20. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.