Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Value of a 1995 MIM?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fatneck, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Fatneck

Fatneck New Member!

Hi there,

I've got a question for you all about the value of a 1995 MIM Strat I'm planning to sell.

Unfortunately I'm pretty ignorant of most of its specs so can't give too much detail; the serial number is MN5177463, I'm fairly sure that it is an American Standard (I was told by someone that it could be a '62 reissue, but I don't think they were making those in Mexico back in the '90s). The neck is a slim C profile that tapers down rather narrowly at the nut. Everything on it is stock.

Cosmetically, it is very good - the finish is a glossy Candy Cola Red (possibly Candy Apple Red, not 100% sure). It has a 3-ply pickguard which has scratch marks on it from natural play wear. Other than that, it looks great.

Any ideas on what this fetches on the market these days? I saw a guitar at a shop recently that was identical except for the colour, and it was one year older, which was selling for $699 (Canadian). It also had significantly more cosmetic damage as well... Does this price range seem reasonable??

Thanks a lot for your input - Mike

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

>I'm fairly sure that it is an American Standard ...............serial number is MN5177463<

That wouldn't be made in the USA

>value of a 1995 MIM Strat <

worth about $250 American

3. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

$250-350 is what i usually see them going for. usually $300.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. DTh213

DTh213 New Member!

hey i have the same guitar 95 mim strat -red. my guitar has no fretboard - is that normal - or rare for that matter - it has cheap hardware all around so i would assume that no fretboard we be the cheap route - but it plays really nice. any thoughts?

6. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

That is about the same as here (Austin, TX). Prices vary by geography...

7. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

"M" serial = "Mexico". Not American Standard. It is a Standard Stratocaster.

If in decent condition, $225 - 275 USD. I saw a decent one on Craigslist today in southern Cal for $225. It will sell quick. The guys that are asking north of $300 are going to be camping for a while unless we're talking w/HSC and/or nice upgrades or a MIM special issue like those Classic 50's.

8. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

9. TwoMartinMan

TwoMartinMan Strat-O-Master

No fretboard?? Uhh....that would be pretty unusual. How can you play a guitar with no fretboard??

10. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

:D......

11. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

Very carefully! ;)

12. Vintage59

I REALLY need to see a picture of this no fretboard guitar.

13. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

I think he means that it doesn't have a rosewood fret board. Being that the board is most likely (at least I hope) maple, the maple board and maple neck seem to be one.

We know in reality even if it is a maple board it is still a separate piece of wood.

I'm pretty sure that is what DTH meant.

14. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Both my CIJ and MIM are one piece necks.

15. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The $250-$300 MIM guitars that I've seen lately were made in 2007, 2008 and in minty condition.

Most 15 year-old MIM's are much closer to $200 in my book. If a nice hard case is in the mix, higher.

16. DTh213

DTh213 New Member!

yeah it has frets and inlays- if it is a seperate fret board, they did a crazy job of blending it in. the neck and (fret board) seriously look like one piece, you cant see a line in between them anywhere. just seems weird to me that they would spend that much effort on it because the guitar is on the cheaper side - plastic tuning keys, came with ****ty pickups etc. does anyone else have a neck like this? i will try to get some pics up when i have a minute.

17. DTh213

DTh213 New Member!

so the fretboard is actually part of the neck, not made seperate and glued on right? are a lot of strats like that?

18. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Its just a one piece maple neck. Thats the way original 50s Fenders were done and how Fender Currently does maple necks. Just because it doesn't have a seperate fretboard doesn't mean it doesn't have one. The surface where the frets are applied is just called the fretboard.

[​IMG]

19. Vintage59

Now this makes much more sense...the previous statement really left me wondering. It would have been clearer to say that there was no apparent lamination.

20. DTh213

DTh213 New Member!

thanks for the info. sorry to confuse anyone. do they make a lot of strats like that?

21. scotzoid

scotzoid Senior Stratmaster

As Yogi said, that's the way Strats were made back in the 50s, & the current method for maple boards. I believe that the CBS-era maple boards were 2 piece, just like the rosewood fretboards.