Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Value of Squier Deluxe

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Ravenmore, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Hi all - I've got a chance to buy a Squier Strat Deluxe for $175. From the pics it looks very clean but I haven't seen it in person yet. He also said the original neck was damaged in shipping and that he replaced it with a new Squier neck.

Never bought a Deluxe before so not sure if this is a decent deal or not.

2. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That does not look right....possible partscaster and dishonest seller....

Can I see the headstock logo please? A Deluxe would have 22 fret maple fretboard....

This could be a partscaster because it has a rosewood fretboard neck with only 21 frets...

EDIT - you said it has a new neck - it's more than likely not worth $175 then, it's worth less because it's a parts guitar....

Would be nice to see the headstock logo to know which model of neck it is.....if it's a higher end neck like Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe it's worth $175 but not if it's a Bullet or Affinity or Standard neck etc.....

Ebidis likes this.

4. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    He told me he did replace the neck. He said the original was damaged in shipping and had to be replaced. He put it in his ad so he's being up front about it.

5. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Need to know what neck it is - I edited my previous post....

In order to know if it's worth $175 or not.....

got photos of the headstock front and back?

6. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I looked through his pics again and, even though I can't make it out, there is a logo where they typically place the Affinity logo. If so I'm probably going to pass unless he'd sell it for ~ $100.

7. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    the loaded body alone is worth about $125 easily....if it's an Affinity neck it's worth about $140-150 as a whole I'd say.....just not $175

The Duncan Designed SC-101 loaded pickguard by themselves go for like $75-100 on ebay....

If I look at the ad myself I can identify it easily for you....is it a black stamped SQUIER logo? what are the tuners? Do they have a screw in the bottom right of each when looking at the back or just D shaped with no screw?

I was going to try to look up the ad but I don't know where 'Cedar Park' is - there are so many of them in the USA....

8. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    It's a shame it's not the original deluxe neck, those are amazing with nice rolled edges @Ravenmore

9. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park

10. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I kind of really want one in Sea Foam Green or Daphne Blue with a maple neck anyway.

11. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    15-17 year old Affinity neck, lower quality than the new ones.....I can tell by serial number placement...

$130-140 tops....

Or just buy the body for $100-125 if he'll separate and put your own better neck on...if that's what you're after....

I would not think it would make a great playing guitar as is, mostly due to the narrow width at the nut - 1.6"....

It's funny, it's like he took the worst possible Squier neck to put on it lol - huge downgrade

I'd say buy it at 175 and sell the neck but I don't know how easily you could get 50 for that neck and tuners in your area....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

12. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Why not buy a new Squier Deluxe Strat in Daphne Blue?

13. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Because it will immediately drop about $120 in value as I walk out the door. :) I like buying used so I can get most of my investment back if possible - or maybe even make a little coin if I'm lucky. At that money I might be more tempted to go get a Pacifica in the same color which I feel is probably a better guitar anyway, but that's a whole other discussion. :D

14. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Well he just messaged me and said he would do $150. @Guitarmageddon I know you said $140 tops but that might be close enough for me.

*edit - neck suggestions welcome. :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

15. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I'd grab it, I mean you can sometimes get the whole guitar for $150 if you're lucky, an original deluxe....but more than likely like 180-210.....so.....it's still gonna be worth it for you in the long run....

Try selling the neck for $50-60 locally, it should go within a month and if not try $40.....then you get loaded body for $110....

does he have the trem arm? If not, another bargaining chip to get it for $10 less because it could cost you that or $15 to get a new one....

16. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Thanks - I didn't think about selling the Affinity neck. That helps. BUT....

My thought process since I last posted has been this. A decent neck is going to run me at least $100 I think. That puts this at $250 - with dings and knocks. A brand new Squire deluxe in the color and neck that I want is $299. With warranty. Sooooooooo......

Guitarmageddon likes this.

17. Pukiman

Pukiman Strat-Talk Member

Mar 1, 2011
    London
    The reason I bought my Squire Deluxe was for the Rolled Edge Fretboard and 22 fret everything else can be modded the heck out of, the best neck in Squire range imho.
    I would pass on that Squire, I am sure you can find another used Squire Deluxe at reasonable price.
    Here's mine after mods
    Modded Squire.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Ravenmore and Viking like this.

18. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

Good guitars are like trains.
    If you miss one, another one will be along soon enough.
    You want to be in a position where they want to sell more than you want to buy.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

19. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Of course I could buy it, sell the neck for $40 which would essentially leave me with a loaded body for $110.

Dear God I'm overthinking this. :D

20. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Ok so I went into Guitar Center tonight with a 75% intent of buying a daphne blue Squier Deluxe. They didn't have one. Only thing they had was a CV for about $50 more. Super nice - loved the neck. It had a tortoise shell pick guard though which I just pretty much detest. The clearance section was next to it so I had a look and found this. For $189. At Guitar Center. Ibanez SA130MFM. This is a $400 guitar new. And it was new. Just on clearance. Only missing the trem arm.

So, long story short, this is how my Squier Deluxe story has ended. Kind of a surprise ending, but a pretty awesome one.
    IMG_20171201_194156.jpg

Viking likes this.