Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Van Halen's Marshall - Mike Soldano interview

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by mshivy, Nov 9, 2017.

1. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Interview with Mike Soldano about VH and amps, etc.
    From about 9:00 to 11:00 he talks about Van Halen's plexi Marshall and how he used the variac to get " the Brown Sound."

How many of us would love to try that?
    I know there's so many amp modders and new amps that get the Van Halen sound or that saturated "'80's sound," or whatever sound you want, but it would be such an experience to play a legend's amp, or guitar for that matter.

Personally I thought the Van Halen I sound was the best EVH tone, with the Echoplex and the
    Phase 90 added.

carver, abnormaltoy, Rastus and 5 others like this.

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I've watched that vid before when the HotRod25 amp was first released and seriously considered getting one at one time. I ended up getting the much cheaper EVH lunchbox amp after hearing it did a pretty good Hotrod25 impersonation by using the 1/4 watt switch, not so much to lower the volume, but to give extra sag, much like a variac would.

abnormaltoy, Rastus, mshivy and 2 others like this.

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Cool vid @mshivy
    There was a guy here in RI (in the 80s) that was modding Marshalls with a built in variac. Bob Fenton, I think his name was. He had a small shop on the Providence waterfront.
    I tried one, and at low volume, it was killer. Cranked up it was treble heavy and the tone fell apart. But, I am not EVH.

He modded both my JMP and my JCMs with effects loops and higher gain preamps, which to me sounded better than the variac mod. But again, Im no EVH :thumb:

carver, abnormaltoy, Rastus and 2 others like this.

4. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Thanks @mshivy !

I can always count on my "brothers who march to a harder beat" here to implant some un-needed gas in me.

Now where do I get one of those friggin' Soldano 25's?

5. Dalendl

Dalendl Strat-Talk Member

Jan 2, 2016
    NW Mn
    I've been a Soldano user for many years. I have one of the early Lucky 13 heads and it has been my main giging amp for over 15 years. Great products and service. When I have needed tech help, I've actually talked to Mike on the phone and received top notch help.

6. Robins

Robins Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Mike is the man in my book. He is really grounded - down to earth - and no matter how deep you want to dig in questions about amp building and electronics he is the man to ask.
    Always helpful and a real source of knowledge. He builds amps to perfection.

All the best,
    Robin

mshivy, Textele, sam_in_cali and 3 others like this.

7. Robins

Robins Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Thread seems to be fading - I wake up that little sucker.
    The Cradle Will Rock
    That little MoFo rocked that thing hard even at such early age. That degenerated, long haired cookie sucker.
    They always wanted to make loud noise, both of them \m/ \m/
    He just later discovered those wood sticks are of no use and he needs six strings to kick some ass.

[​IMG]

Life is good,
    Robin

mshivy likes this.