Join Strat-Talk Today

Very inexpensive Fender Mustang 1v.2 amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Alan Crossley, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Strat-O-Master

My middle daughter teaches an old form of tradition Irish dance, and uses her iPhone through a small practice amp for her music. Recently she’s complaining of strange noise and I said that I would find her a replacement.

During my searches I came across, and bought, this almost new (seller claims only used once) Fender Mustang 1v.2 “Modeling” amp for €50.00.

I have no idea what a “Modeling” amp is. I looked into the web and concluded that it could be a good buy.

I’m interested to know if anyone out there has any experience or information which might be of interest to me ~ using it for my guitar practice, not my daughters highly lucrative dance lessons.

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They are good-decent amps.

If you do go to buy this amp inspect and verify that the 1/8" AUX jack is operational. These plastic input jacks break VERY easily and essentially non-repairable.

Update: I'm in camp that thinks this amp is best used (or at least set-up) with a computer. I don't know what the local market is for used guitar gear in your area but I wouldn't pay more than $40 USD equivalent for an M!1.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  3. Alan Crossley

Thanks for your observation Johnnyymg. Comments on the web suggest that in order to get the best results (for guitar) one should consider using the Specificly designed Fender software App to get the most out of the amp.

Do you have any experience of this? And, can you please tell me what a “Modeling” amp is?:D

4. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

My Mustang I has never let me down since day 1, although the software quit working years ago. You don't NEED the software, but it is cool to mess around with. But, a modeling amp is just that. It "models" other amps and effects. So it has a ton of effects built into it, and several different styles of amps that it can emulate. I can get a very wide variety of tones out of it.

Alan Crossley likes this.
  5. Alan Crossley

Thank you for your help with this question Mr Dare 1 , with a profile image of a young Jennifer Aniston.

I’m glad to hear that you don’t need the software. What I read claims that you don’t get the full use of the amp without software, but it did fave a sound of a sales ploy. I really appreciate your help, thank you.

6. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talk Member

My main practice amp is a Mustang 1. It produces a great variety of tones at reasonable (practice) volumes. Super happy with mine.

Modelling means it uses computerized virtualization to emulate the sound of various amps...and does a really nice job of it. It also emulates pedals and effects like delay, overdrive, tremolo, etc.

Most of the factory presets are way over the top on effects. For best results use a computer and the fender fuse software to make your own presets with a lot less effects than the factory ones. If computers are 'not your thing' I wouldn't recommend the amp. Otherwise...highly recommended.

7. 33db

33db Strat-Talker

I had one, found a couple good sounds in it, and it's SS so it sounds close to the same turned down as turned up.
    You can edit it through the computer which is nice.
    Great beginner amp or bedroom amp if you like the sound of it, out of all the choices I found 2 pretty good tones.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Look up the intheblues youtube channel, he also did a lot of forum posting for the best mods on these amps.

Based off positive forum chatter on the Mustang 1, I found a used one for sale with a guitar and bought both. Even modding the stock tones per the intheblues channel recipes I couldn't get it to compete with the Line 6 Spider 4 amp I use for practice (after cleaning out the stock modeling and replacing with better settings). I think the main tone difference is the Mustang 8inch and the Line6 10inch speaker so I may try swapping a ten inch into the Mustang next. The line 6 amps are kind of disliked (I used to be in that camp) but I found some workable settings, saved on the fast retrieve buttons, so I can even do a ten minute practice between other things without a lot of pedal setting. I was kind of surprised how the Mustang was not matching the Line6 though.

Maybe you can find one of these amps for your daughter's amp replacement needs.

9. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Ha! She got a pretty good kick out of that. She says thank you!

And I see some of the others here didn't like the amp very much. Maybe it's just me, but I love the tones I can get from it. I use it almost exclusively to record my entries for the challenges on here. The cleans sound great to me, and the overdrive sounds good too, and even the metal setting is pretty good. But, subjective I guess. My only complaints about it are that you can't adjust how much of an effect you want on the amp, although you can on the software. Which is my second complaint, that the hardware in the amp gave out and wouldn't let me use the software again. But, the amp still works nonetheless.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I use a Mustang II pretty much all the time. The initial learning curve is pretty steep and many do not give the amps a chance before declaring them bad. If you just turn off all the mod and delay and save the patches that way, you can easily find good sounds.

YMMV

PCollen and Alan Crossley like this.
  11. GuitLoop

In case you are wondering...they also take pedals fairly well. I have a pedal board that I use w all my amps and the Mustang I takes to it well.

12. Alan Crossley

For approximately $56US I can’t go wrong. Very genuine older father selling because his son gave up guitar after a few weeks and the amp has been in its original box since then.

I’m glad your friend was happy for me to make such a comment. As soon as I pressed the post key I thought you might find it inappropriate. Very attractive young woman who, I trust, you are treating like a princess.:p

13. Alan Crossley

Too late, I spent $56US on it. I’m confident that it’s like new and is still in its original box with instructions and receipt.

I doubt if I can go wrong at that price. I saw a few very inexpensive on eBay, but judging by the condition of the cases they looked used!

Only time will tell.o_O

14. Alan Crossley

Thanks for your time and posting which I greatly appreciate. But, I did the deal and paid a miserly $56US. I saw a number on eBay which looked neglected, or well used, but I trust the seller who bought guitar and this amp for his son who promptly lost interest and gave up because his fingers were sore. So only time will tell, but at the price I couldn’t resist it. It’s still in its original box and has the receipt with it. :p

Bob the builder likes this.
  15. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

I have the Mustang I, and I love it. I use it mainly as a headphone amp, for practicing. But the speaker sounds good too, and is perfect for low-volume. I have it hooked up to my computer with a USB cable, so I am hooked up the software, and an audio "out" from the computer to the "aux in" jack on the amp. So I can play along to audio tracks and hear it all in the headphones. It works perfectly. As others have said, the Fuse software allows you to access a very wide range of sounds. It is easy to operate, and you can save the sounds right to the amp, so you can use them even when not connected to the software. It really is a very good system, and a huge amount of value. I paid $60 used for mine. And it is an insane amount of quality for that absurdly low price. Everyone should have one of these.

16. GuitLoop

Totally agreed...that's less than the cost of a single effect pedal... and the Mustang can make more tones than any pedal could possibly imagine being able to make.

I paid $75 for mine used. Functionality vs price ratio is through the roof on these things!

I'm not saying they are the end all be all but for a small practice amp it doesn't get much better.

Btw...I opened the back of mine...which makes it sound less boxy and the sound less directional.

Alan Crossley and Dare1 like this.
  17. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

I’ve got a 158Rage.
    I wouldn’t recommend it on your head, or on an amp stand.

18. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talk Member

I just sold one for $75 USD. It was a great little amp that served me well. I really liked that I could use my laptop and Fender FUSE to emulate any other amp or box I wanted. I think bang for buck it's a great deal. The only reason I sold it was to fund a 90s near mint condition Fender Ultimate Chorus 2X12.

19. Alan Crossley

My (daughters) nearly new Fender Mustang arrived this morning and looks totally new, bit of dust around the control nobs, but otherwise pristine.

I haven’t been able to use with a guitar but did try it out with my iPad as the source. The sound is very good but could do with some more volume. I’m not certain that I had all of the correct settings on the amp and might have had to e phone on mid volume. Nonetheless, I’m very happy with my inexpensive used amp.

The daughter is on a flight to France to do some dancing with my youngest daughter so won’t be able to test it until she gets back on Monday. Thanks for your response to my question. I really appreciate your time and reply.:D

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  20. Alan Crossley

The amp arrived this morning and looks great. A little light dust, but otherwise pristine. I’m sure that my daughter will be happy with her new amp. She won’t have your ear or experience to require more than the basic settings and, I’ll get chance to play with it when I get my Telec back together :p It’s strange how my wife doesn’t comment if I buy something for the girls.:sneaky:

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.