Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Vintage 6 screw to 2 point trem conversion?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by mechanic, Jun 25, 2011.

1. mechanic

mechanic Strat-Talker

I was just wondering how hard it would be to convert a vintage 6 screw trem bridge strat body to the modern 2 point "wilkinson" style of bridge?
    Has anyone tried it? And what's involved?
    Thanks.
    Eric

2. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
  3. mechanic

mechanic Strat-Talker

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. S.M.A.

S.M.A. Strat-Talk Member

Mar 8, 2009
    U.K.
    Never done that, but I did go the other way around, from a two point Fender to a six screw Gotoh.

The two outside screws where dead on in the right place. So in your case you'd only have to drill the two outside screw holes a bit bigger to fit the two studs in, and bobs yer unkle.

Course, I don't know if the Wilkinson holes will match up the same ?

6. TubbyTone

TubbyTone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2011
    The Sticks,Canada
    I did this one with ease, the 2 end screw holes seemed to line right up. just had to drill the holes and tap in the bushings. oh, just noticed this one is a Shaller yours is a Wilkinson may be different.

Attached Files:

7. Vintage59

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
    My luthier friend did it for me. I believe he used the outside screw holes for the posts and "doweled" the rest. He may have also used some hybrid epoxy mixture to strengthen the side of the control cavity that abuts the bridge anchors. He also refretted it with Dunlop 6100 wire at the same time. Plays real dreamy.

8. TubbyTone

Feb 28, 2011
    The Sticks,Canada
    I used epoxy as well as doweled the extra holes, still very easy install all the same.

9. Voyce

Voyce Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2011
    Israel
    why would you do that? people do all those things to their precious guitars without understanding proper setup can solve whatever problem theyre having (not talking about switching pickups or so, usually mechanical changes). also doing those kind of things oftenly gives you more disadvantages than advantages and who the hell wants that?

10. Phostenix

Phostenix Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2010
    Anthem, AZ
  11. Voyce

Voyce Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2011
    Israel
    they can get some bareknuckles / change a pickguard / buy another guitar
    just why ruining the guitar you currently have??

12. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    some people like the feel of the 2 point trem. i have them both ways. there is definitely a difference.

13. louis cyfer

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    that guy is a heck. i am surprised he managed to put it on straight;):D

14. Phostenix

Phostenix Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2010
    Anthem, AZ
    You ruined his guitar, didn't you?

:p

15. Vintage59

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
    louis is totally kidding. The guy we go to is amazing.

@Voyce,

The guitar is far from ruined, it plays better than Fender ever imagined it could.

The Wilkinson bridge is light years better quality than the stock MIM bridge, functionally and tone-wise. I can whammy the daylights out of it and it comes back to pitch every time. It also has a steel, full inertia block. The result is very crisp, responsive and the guitar has a sweet sounding ring that wasn't there before.

16. Voyce

Voyce Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2011
    Israel
    I assure you, you can get that with the original bridge.
    even the MIM bridge is VERY high quality. its all about simplicity.

17. TubbyTone

Feb 28, 2011
    The Sticks,Canada
    well I disagree, I think the Shaller was a hell of a improvement. also I don't think of Modding as ruining my guitar, now if it was a Vintage piece that's not a player... than I agree with you, keep it original.. but I play these things not look at 'em... JMHO

18. louis cyfer

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    there is a big quality difference between the mim stock and the wilkinson. the 2 point feels very different than the 6 screw.

19. Voyce

Voyce Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2011
    Israel
    if its about the feel of the bridge, he should go right ahead. but if hes doing it for better results, thats probably because his guitar is not well set-up.

i know what youre talking about... its not like i dont mod my strats. i change pickups, i rewire, i changed one of my bridges to floyd rose. i came along to understand that minor "improvements" that are done or thought to be done usually by people who dont actually know why the original pieces so good and how to make them work better, eventually coming to actually decreasing the quality of their guitars. you have to look at it like this. no matter what you do to your guitar, its gonna have advantages and disadvantages. and we are shooting for less disadvantages and more advantages.

20. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This is a great thread because both sides of the issue are really accurately presented.

Certain guitars are treated as "expendible" and others are not.

I've modded several Modern Teles back to vintage configuration. But in Strats I have about a One to One proportion of Vintage Style to Modern, and I like them equally for different reasons in whatever configuration they're already in. And what I find is, if I REALLY want a bomb proof tremolo, I reach for one of my G + L trem guitars! :^)

21. beleayukba

beleayukba Strat-Talk Member

Feb 10, 2011
    universe
    if you are talking about vintage59's guitar, that is the best set up guitar you will ever touch. bar none.