Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

"Vintage Feel" or "Vintage Sound": which do you choose?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by enchantpth44, Sep 14, 2018.

Which is your preferred combo?

1. Vintage Feel/Personalized (Modern) Sound

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Vintage Sound/Personalized (Modern) Feel

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Vintage Feel/Vintage Sound

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. I am not entirely sure.....

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Personalized sound/Peronalized Feel

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Let's say hypothetically, that you have to choose between either:

the "feel" of vintage specs (7.25" radius, thin short tiny frets).....

or

the "sound" of vintage specs (vintage stagger, ie. OOOOoo).....

and then you get to combine your choice with whatever feel/sound you want to pair it with..

ie. Vintage Stagger, combined with (your personal choice) Jumbo Frets and a 12" radius....thick neck etc.

What is more important to you, and what have you found is your most satisfying combo?

Or lastly, if you do actually like the "natural" combo, Vintage Feel/Vintage Sound, then that's cool too.

This is not even accounting for Amp choice, I know that is so important but just to keep things simple....

2. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    modern feel/vintage sound. Feel is everything and I never got the feel of those old 7.25 radii.

shupe13, That635Guy and enchantpth44 like this.
  3. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Interesting:cool:..... very interesting....
    Did you ever try the Narrow Tall Frets on the Vintage Radius? So you like a vintage stagger then, with whatever feels most comfortable to you....

I find this somewhat fascinating, as it just occurred to me, how when I merely plug in a vintage stagger, it feels like Rock and Roll, and then it makes me play this more "pure" Rock sound...like automatically, it could be the Squier CV or the American Original, but I noticed this...it's like the sonic response, it changes what notes I play and how I bend the strings.

For instance, if I play the Player Strat, that same "Pure Rock and Roll", it doesn't come out......I can try to play what I was playing with the vintage stagger, but it isn't the same....and yet, both the Player Strat and the Squier CV (for instance) have 9.5" and MedJumbos.... I literally did this a few days ago...

I picked up the CV as someone suggested I try it, and it was just automatic Pure Rock and Roll, went right back to the Player, and it was...just not that....it was something else, something undefined. The stagger on the Player Series, is basically ooOOoo, it's weird, but it also occurred to me that if you were to raise the bass sides up on all 3, you would have effectively a vintage stagger, which is maybe why they chose those that stagger. Notably, on the old MIM Standard, they have this "rainbow" stagger, it's like it perfect conforms to the arc of the radius.....:thumb: effectively .oOOo.

Theres something about that "raindbow" stagger as I call it, I quite like that sound actually, it's very mellow, I was playing this CAR Standard strat, just so mellow.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I am vintage, I sound like me whatever guitar I play.

billybuck, Kester, Nate D and 4 others like this.
  5. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    Just out of Friday curiosity: do you sound like a guitar or guitar sounds like you when you play?

Since I dont really know what is vintage sound I am not qualified to answer this question.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    You're trying to confuse me. :D To me vintage sound means pre 1962, real rock 'n'roll.

7. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    I prefer the feel of vintage specced guitars (radii frets etc) I alwaya sound the same whatever though so for me it’s all about feel...

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  8. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Jul 28, 2018
    UK
    I prefer full vintage (7.25, chunky V profile, skinny frets) although I don’t find it to be a problem switching between any spec. As others have said I still sound like me!

I think a bit much is made of the whole radius/fret size thing. Maybe if you like a very low action or are a shredder it makes a difference but I don’t find it to be a huge issue. The feel of the profile of the neck makes a more noticeable difference.

Many players switch quite happily between say a Les Paul and a vintage spec Strat which are vastly different so a tiny difference in radii or fretwire is minimal by comparison.

RadioFM74 and enchantpth44 like this.
  9. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    I wasnt born at that time, no surprise that I dont know what vintage sound means :D

Believer7713 likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Kids :rolleyes:

:D

11. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    I believe I sound different every guitar I play, not because I am inconsistent, but because each one has a different response...unless they are very similar then I will sound similar.. If the guitar is not set up and has very high action, it's not a good playing scenario. I have played some American Standards, the last one was like 2015 SN, and it was so "clinical" sounding, it was listed as having Fat50s, the stagger on them was weird looking, like uneven, in some attempt at "creating the perfect stagger" or something. That's what i've noticed. They sounded like overly stereotypical "Strat" poigny sounds, but on steroids....I don't think the "Classic" Strat sound is "quack" and Cluck and all that tbh. I think it is much less pronounced and much more "creamy". It's an even sound, with a good rounded "harshness" to it, but it is not shrill, and the "Toneless" Bridge Pup is great and rounded yet cutting, with the vintage stagger, it's like a natural contrast, between the two other pickups, when using that "Vintage" staggering and Tone Control setup.

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Why do I have to choose? I want vintage feel and vintage sound. Nobody told me I could only have one or the other....

13. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    You have to choose because that is Life. Choices...

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    This isn't life, it's Strat Talk!

TheDuck and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Vintage cubic inches and horsepower, with modern suspension, handling and brakes.

lineboat likes this.
  16. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Is that really an acceptable analogy? You are equating 7.25" Radius, tiny frets, with a car that you feel every single bump and sounds ultra loud, that is hard to steer, and doesn't go very fast at all.....

17. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Vintage American cars do go very fast - in a straight line. It's just corners that they struggle with. ;)

18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It's all about feel and whether you want a tool to do a job, or something else.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  19. enchantpth44

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    What do you think about playing Telecasters for Jazz?

20. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It's not the guitar, it's the person holding it that makes the music.