Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Vintage modified pickup question

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by camilostatis, May 16, 2018.

1. camilostatis

camilostatis New Member!

May 16, 2018
    Toronto
    hello, Ideally I would like to have two guitars, one with a single coil in the bridge and another with the humbucker in the bridge so I have options, however, i'm a bit strapped for cash so this isnt possible.

I came across the squier vintage modified HSS (humbucker in the bridge a single coil in the middle and one in the neck)

My question is, with this guitar, Can I still get the single coil bridge sound and also the humbucker bridge sound from this guitar? or is it strictly a humbucker sound in the bridge and I still have to get another guitar if I want that single coil bridge sound?

Thanks for your time.

2. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Hi, I have both, the HB is very different in the bridge position to me than the single coil. This is one of those discussions that have different opinions, lots of Strat purists say a HB is or looks wrong on a Strat, suggest you try play them both and see which one works for you. My first Strat was a HB, only got a sss quite recently, I guess if I had to only have one now, it would be a sss, but my music style has changed over the years, don't really do the heavy stuff much anymore, so also depends on what you want to play, try them both

camilostatis likes this.
  3. camilostatis

camilostatis New Member!

May 16, 2018
    Toronto
    Thats the problem, every local music store has the HSS out of stock and my only option is ordering it and waiting 2 weeks to get it... someone told me if I put the switch in second position and split the humbucker, it would sound like the SSS but I wanted to double check, so I posted here.

4. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Maybe someone who's done this will come along

camilostatis likes this.
  5. Athanasios

Athanasios Strat-O-Master

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    I would buy a bullet or an affinity with hss regarding the humbucker is plenty useful.And since they are cheaper thn the vintage modified i would grab a tele also ;)

6. camilostatis

camilostatis New Member!

May 16, 2018
    Toronto
    the bullet and affinity have worse pickups and are hit or miss, I owned an affinity telecaster. I'd rather get a vintage modified since I already have a vintage modified jazz/precision bass. But not until I get a definitive answer on the pickups

7. Athanasios

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    Anyway i suppose that in position 2 the humbucker auto splits.Thats how its done on my bullet.Also its true about the hit or miss in terms of quality and surely the humbucker is flat voiced...

8. Athanasios

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    BUT the quack is different than an sss config in pos.2

9. camilostatis

camilostatis New Member!

May 16, 2018
    Toronto
    I believe the vintage modified has Duncan pickups. But I guess if I want the true single coil sound I'd have to get an sss

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    In my experience a split or tapped Humbucker does not sound just like a single coil. It can be close but not exact.

Athanasios likes this.
  11. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    They have Duncan Designed pickups, not actual Seymour Duncan pickups. And yes for true single coil sounds you need a single coil pickup.

12. Athanasios

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    Duncan designed humbuckers in singke coil size

13. Athanasios

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    It all depends in what you play...if you want heavy rock or metal go with humbuckers.If you want heavy rock or metal go with a telecaster.Hell Raven and Vardis played serious metal with telecasters.If you want pure rock go sss.My opinion.

Stratoskater likes this.
  14. camilostatis

camilostatis New Member!

May 16, 2018
    Toronto
    I want to emulate the sound of old soul fuzz guitar with tremolo but I also want to be able to play rock style leads. Which is why I need both the bucker and single coil