Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Vintage Owners I have a Question

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by bluesman1956, Oct 24, 2018.

1. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I’ve been playing most of my life and have never had the opportunity to play and inspect a genuine vintage Strat. The closest is to own both a AVRI 62’ and recently a AO 60s. I know it’s apples and oranges but how close in feel and playability does the Reissues stack up to the real deal excluding a pricey Custom Shop model? Would I really feel the difference let day in a blindfold test in feel and sound? I’m fairly accomplished as far as a guitarist but have been curious about this topic for some time.

problem-child likes this.
  2. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    Good question. I too will be waiting to read the informed responses of our pre CBS owning brethren.

3. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Last question first. yes.

A new guitar is like a new car...it's gonna feel and smell new for a while. A 50 year old guitar is going to feel and smell its age. The neck will have been worn from use, not sandpaper...with sweat and dirty hands and the grease from some cheesy bar food rubbed into it...for 50+ years.

And being old, it will have acquired a bar tan...cigarette smoke. In some cases that crap will have permeated under the pickguard and formed a goo that is almost impossible to remove. To what extent that contributes to the sound is difficult to gauge. It does contribute, but each case will be different.

The magnets in the pickups will have lost a bit of their field strength after 50 years, enough such that some will attest to an ability to hear a difference. Debatable I am certain, but what isn't are the differences in manufacturing practices between then and now.Those will have an influence.

4. wht1

wht1 Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2009
    PA
    I think you could feel the difference in the necks. Shapes varied by year and even by guitar. For some reason most reissues seem to miss the real shapes. Sound wise, it depends on the guitar. Some are really good, most average, and a few just don’t have it. Fret and nut condition and setup of course effect everything too. If you’ve got the money, they are fun to own and play. If money is short, don’t worry about. Vintage isn’t magic. Still comes down to you and your fingers.

savofenno likes this.
  5. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2016
    The Crossroads
    They have there quarks.... mine has a full refinish, neck and body. Compared to a custom shop there aren't to many differences except that most recreations are simply that, close but only 90% of the way there. That other 10% isn't all that dramatic, but it's enough to know what you have in your hands. I've only owned 2 pre cbs strats, my last one was well worn, and you can't replicate that, but the neck gap and a few other small things just turned me off.... my current guitar is incredible and the neck is slim, perfect for my hand. New stuff is only fender in name, it's hard to compare the original vs fmic stuff.... new stuff has better qc and tighter tolerances, the best guitars ever are being made today, so you can't compare the quarky original to modern copies.... they just aren't made the same, fender isn't in the market to sell instruments of lower quality these days like some pre-cbs stuff.

6. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Direct personal experience.

The neck on my 64 is silky smooth. And the guitar has a rather nice sound. And its sort of reactive. Play soft it works well play hard its cool too.

My 62 reissue is physically harder to play neck is sticky and can cause a thumb blister. The sound is way more twang and bite way louder, less subtle and not quite as reactive.

My preference is to play the 64.

I really don't feel like convincing anyone what is "worth their while" . I bought mine years ago and it is still something I am happy I did. Annd I can tell the difference.

7. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    I saw my first one in the flesh when I was 17 I guess (in a shop, wasn't allowed to play it). Now there was absolutely no reason for any type of expectation. It was 1989ish. No internet. I kind of knew that the really old strats had a reputation, but I'd never heard the words "pre CBS" or L-series.

So seeing this first old strat, with nothing I know now, I surely remember it, and that it had an ethereal quality/aura/vibe/whatever!! The green guard, spaghetti logo, claydots, candy apple red finish are well etched in my mind. I'd played/seen reissues (they were very new then), but I was certainly in awe of that old strat, even without touching it. And even with my limited experience, I could see it was not like the reissues.

Yes, I owned a pre-CBS a few years later, played plenty since, but I just wanted to share that story about a pre-CBS strat I had no preconceptions about, and didn't even touch or play, but still was incredibly magnetic and attention grabbing to 17-year-old me. Yes, sound and play-ability are big factors, but there's something else about these old strats. Something non-tangible.

8. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    France
    To me the new ones sound bright and harsh. My vintage ones have soft rounded off high end and a natural compression which enables you to pick really hard and still have a warm sound. The old ones are also easier to play. The strings feel softer for some reason. Old ones need to be set up right and usually need a refret. If they're not set up really well then these things can be harder to pick up

T Guitar Floyd and fezz parka like this.
  9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Look at it this way. When the first 1962 re-issue Strat was made at Fullerton in 1982, the guitar it was copying was only 20 years old. Yet even then, people made a big fuss about why the '62 Strat was special because the wood was old & the pickup magnets have aged.

Today, that same 1982 AVRI is 36 years old, nearly twice as old as that '62 Strat was in 1982. So the wood is even older, the magnets are even older....

As for the other points, on an old AVRI, the neck will have worn from use, it will have acquired a bar tan from all the tobacco tar in the air at bars & clubs. Is there really any difference?

10. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    France
    If all things were equal when these guitars were made then your logic would be right. The trouble is that the reissues weren't made the same as the old ones. It's not just the amount of years that have passed that make vintage guitars so good. It's the way they were made and the materials that were used. An '80s reissue will never sound or feel like a pre cbs because it's not the same thing. In 100 years time this will still be true. They have never been able to make them like they did in the old days. Just the way it is

Guitarmaan and sikoniko like this.
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-Talker

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    I had a ‘67 It was just too beat up, so I got it cheap. It had a thin rosewood finger board. I returned it as it just didn’t feel right. I thought I would get used to the neck, but I didn’t. I’ve never seen a reissue of that one.

But, I bought a 79 strat that has the most fantastic neck on it. It’s the best playing strat I’ve ever had. Maple U shaped neck. Three bolt with micro tilt. Neck pocket was correct. All original. Excellent, almost mint condition. Now I have played the fender AVRI 70’s strat reissue and the difference is clear. The neck just isn’t the same. The pickups sounded good, but not as good as the real deal. And the funny thing is that the reissues go for about the same price as the originals. So why not get the real deal

savofenno likes this.
  12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So what are the significant differences between a 1962 Strat & a 1982 62RI?

Ebidis likes this.
  13. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Since bars no longer allow smoking, Fender needs to start aging their reissues in smoke filled chambers. Without the cig smoke tan lines and sticky residue, it's just not the same.

rafasounds, dbolt, Guitarmaan and 7 others like this.
  14. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    I have a pre CBS 62 strat and have compared it to many production models and custom shops. The reissues are just not the same. The neck profiles are completely different. The pickups on my 62 sound balanced and a bit more mellow than other strats I compared it to. I had a beat to heck 86 AVRI that was worn all along the back of the neck and when playing side by side you could definitely pick the pre CBS strat out. The AVRI felt good but just not as smooth as the pre CBS. My 62 has a really nice taper to it. The AVRI's are like cookie cutter guitars IMO when compared to my 62. The 59 reissue neck profile is nothing at all like most of the pre CBS guitars I have played and owned.

I have a custom shop 60 relic that comes really close to my 62.

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    None of that answers the question "what are the significant differences between a 1962 Strat & a 1982 62RI?" Everything you mention is detail & personal preference. And although I respect your opinion, you haven't mentioned one thing that is a significant difference between the two. Same materials, same design, same everything, just twenty years difference.

As for "The neck profiles are completely different", I beg to differ. Having played both a 1960 & a 1964 Strat, what amazed me about them was just how similar the necks were to my '86 62RI - the closest I have ever felt.

Ebidis and savofenno like this.
  16. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

My father is from the early 60's

I havent inspected his body though.

so lets just leave that stone alone

Ebidis, wht1, Nate D and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    Deleted

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  18. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for all the feedback though I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford a vintage Guitar maybe I should consider a Custom Shop made to my specific specs. Given the overall differences that were mentioned.

dueducs likes this.
  19. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

google is your friend.

Here is one link that only covers a couple things... Search also works well.

20. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Play two different but seemingly identical guitars and you will hear and feel a difference. A part of the difference will be quantifiable and another part won't

McPhaul likes this.