Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Vintage Owners I have a Question

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by bluesman1956, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I have a genuine 50s vintage body. I wish I could just bolt on a new one.

*replaces stone*

2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

hard to bolt with all this unexplained hair.

moves from the top of your head to your shoulders. ok.. I can deal with that. but whats with this ear hair stuff?

surely thats natures big joke on humans. one day. perfectly fine. the next day. there is the worlds thickest longest darkest hair sticking out of the side of your lobe.

these bodies.. let me tell ya.

duzie, Nate D, sikoniko and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Look at the bright side. When you've finally lost all the hair on your scalp, you can just wrap that ear hair over your head.

henderman, Ebidis and carver like this.
  4. carver

Ive been saving it and making quilts and other linens

Lone Woof, Ebidis and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Lol!!!:thumb:

Thrup'ny Bit and carver like this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    A good guitar is a good guitar. I've played vintage dogs and stellar reissues. I own a '65 Strat. It's a good guitar. I have an 83 JV Squier that I bought new in 83. It's a great guitar. :)

H. Mac, Ebidis, knh555 and 5 others like this.
  7. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    It took me years and a lot of vintage guitars to find the ones I like and love today.
    It will probably take me years and a lot of recent guitars to find one I will love in time.
    But, I must say that it depends a lot on personal preferences like neck shape, sound, weight, playability.
    I think the biggest advantage with vintage guitars is the variations in neck shapes, so you can really find what you are comfortable with.

McPhaul likes this.
  8. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    but did you inspect the neck date?

9. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Best thing to do is go and check out an original pre-CBS strat in the flesh. You'll either be overwhelmed, or underwhelmed.

It's highly unlikely you'll just be "whelmed"

10. carver

I havent inspected it

I am leaving it at that

some screws are best left tight

Thrup'ny Bit and Nate D like this.
  11. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    @fezz parka hit the nail right on the head...

Guitarmaan and fezz parka like this.
  12. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    good to hear he doesn't have any screws loose... :)

carver likes this.
  13. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talk Member

Jul 31, 2018
    As the owner of several AV 50's strats (AV's are different from AVRI's the former being post 2012) and 50's C.S. models including a couple of relics as well as one highly prized but well-played all original '55 I offer two quick answers followed by my subjective observations:

In terms of sound, I hear no significant difference between old and new.

In terms of feel, the old has it all over the new but that is highly due to the fact that the old one is 6.75 lbs (whammy included) and the lightest weight of the later guitars is 7.25. Add to that that the old one has some minor scars on the back of the neck that would never be inflicted upon a relic model, I'd certainly be able to tell the diff in a blindfold comparison.

There is a heck of a lot of mojo in the old guitar that makes it my favorite.

14. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    France
    The wood is clearly different. Old growth naturally aged wood sounds different from what was used in the '80s. The copper wire is different as are the magnets. The technology has changed a lot since the early '60 which makes it impossible to replicate these things exactly. The old stackpole pots react very differently compared to current cts. I have practically no treble loss when turning my volume down on my vintage fenders. With a cts pot the only way to get a usable volume control is to use a treble bleed. The bridge and trem block are also made with different alloys today and they just don't sound the same. No amount of time will make these element feel or sound like the good vintage stuff. Neck shapes and feel are lesser issues in my mind. If a new guitar sounded as good as my vintage ones do I would get used the the neck shape

15. wht1

wht1 Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2009
    PA
    Go to Nashville and experience the real deal. Gruhn, Carter, and Rumble Seat are within a mile of each other. All of them have the vintage stuff at eye level (not up out of reach). Everyone is sitting around noodling on $30k guitars as if they were Squires. You can touch, feel, and play with no pressure. Heaven! Better yet, go when a guitar show is in town and you’ll be on overload. Plus it’s a great tourist town with the best live music scene around. I go at least once a year.

16. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I travel there on business often have to make time to visit them.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  17. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    some of my fave guitars are new ones.............. some are really old

surely its a feel thing??????????????

Nate D and Ebidis like this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I totally disagree with this. I have played Pre CBS guitars that were total crap. Just being made in the pre CBS era does not automatically make it magic.

I have never owned one, but I have played many, and they are all over the place as far as feel, playability and sound. No different than modern guitars. Old does not equal better.

ETA: I have also played some stellar pre CBS models, so they are out there. There are dogs and unicorns with new guitars as well. Point is; I evaluate every guitar on its own merits, not by the date of manufacture.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Guitarmaan, fezz parka and Nate D like this.
  19. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Let's just say it's subjective shall we.....:)

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It is, and that is pretty much all that needs to be said. :thumb: