Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Vintage Owners I have a Question

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by bluesman1956, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Duckster

Duckster Strat-Talk Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Pilsbury
    What? You may be reading into things a little and playing the "I've been a member longer than you" card just devalues the forum into typical nonsensical banter of a handful telling each other what they want to hear. No I dont think much of Fender as a company today. Not at all. Vintage? Yes, love them. Which is why I stick to the PRE-CBS forum. If you are taking this personal ... well I dont understand why anyone would get worked up about internet posts and cant help you there. My posts are as readable/ignorable as any. Readers choice.

[QUOTE=" I find I can still play and sound as good and or better than ever.
    Don't really get why you have just joined this Strat forum and have such a condescending opinion of Fender and some of the members here.[/QUOTE]

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Hey @Duckster. I really like a lot of your posts.

But think about getting an avatar :) Makes it feel a bit more like you're here to play/stay.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That article does not mention any significant differences between a 1962 Strat & a 1982 62RI. It fusses about 12th fret dot spacing (which is 100% cosmetic, & irrelevant to me) & it suggests that the neck profiles were not "accurate". But they were on the 62RIs as I explained in a different post. And anyway, that article is simply one man's opinion.

The question remains:

"What are the significant differences between a 1962 Strat & a 1982 62RI?"

My answer - nothing significant at all.

4. Bazz Jass

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    20 years is a very short amount of time. It would astound me if there weren't at least a handful of workers from 62 still employed there in 82. So you have potentially the same people working on the 62s and 82s!

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well we know for a fact that some of the old workers were still there in 1982. Fender made big news of the retirement of Abigail Ybarra relatively recently. In fact they are still cashing in on it. At one point you could buy pickups personally wound by her. Then you could buy pickups personally signed by her.

I think their next move is to sell pickups wound by people who once knew her....... Or lived in the next street to her.....

:sneaky:

6. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    [/QUOTE]
    Not playing any cards, or taking it personal . . . or getting worked up, either. :)
    Just sayin' . . . some of your posts have a certain (someone else has mentioned) "snarky" tone and
    it just makes me wonder if you had some bad experiences with recent vintage style Fenders. :whistling:

7. Bazz Jass

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Or the original factory cleaning staff....

8. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Oi! I'm the resident forum cynic - not you!

:sneaky:

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    That's a new word for it... :rolleyes::whistling:

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

The second word is "off"......

:p

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    In 1971 I purchased a 1963 Strat for myself as a twenty first birthday present. When I bought it I was buying the guitar because I had been told by a friend, who made woodwind instruments for a living, that the quality of the woods used in older instruments was better than current wood.

At the time Fender had been sold to CBS, and had been looking at ways of reducing production costs, while continuing to producing the Fender range.

Even back in 1971, China was reportedly been buying and storing high quality timber. Primeraly for the demand for piano production which was in high demand.

In my experience, which is limited to owning one '63 Strat for 44 years, it was like a comfortable pair of shoes. The Strat didn't always hold its tuning, it wasn't as crisp and energetic as other modern Strats that I heard. It didn't look as shining new as the modern guitar.

I also bought a Fender Starcaster which I think was a CBS guitar. It was awful and the worst instrument that I every owned. Pure rubbish.

Having never owned or compared my '63 to any other Strat, I'm not qualified to answer the question. But hope that my comments might in some small way provide some insight. I suspected that if you blind tested a new Ferrarri and a thirty year old Ferrarri, apart from risking a very expensive crash, you're going to know which is which.

Bazz Jass and T Guitar Floyd like this.