Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Vocal mic recommendations

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dueducs, Feb 10, 2019.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I do bluesy, slightly jazzy music and am considering a Shure 55 for a vocal mic.
    Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    A modern 55 is a 58 in a different box. If what it looks like matters, get the 55.

Another thing to consider is a Beta 58 or 57. They're super-cardioid, so they reject from the sides which helps with feedback and with the neodymium magnet have more output.

3. dueducs

I have to admit, I am shallow enough to like the aesthetics of the 55.
    I will look into the Betas... thanks for the advice.

fezz parka likes this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    The Betas are great if you don't have a big voice. I don't...its why I like them. :)

rolandson and dueducs like this.
  5. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Beta 58 is a S(h)ure thing! I would A/B with Røde m-series and SE V-series. AKG and Senheiser also have alternatives. The are a lot of small differences, and nuances that would make you prefer on over the others.

simoncroft and dueducs like this.
  6. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2018
    Italy
    If you can try the Thomann's T-Bones. They are pretty good clone microphones of the Shure ones, cheap and marvelous sounding. I have a lot of them and I will take more for sure.

dueducs likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

The 58 is an excellent, inexpensive mic. Easy to learn on without a huge investment.

dueducs likes this.
  8. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    I like my SM58, it's perfect for my bass/baritone voice. It may work for you, or the frequency response of others may suit you better.

dueducs likes this.
  9. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    The Shure SM58 sells today for about the same money as it did in the early 1980s, which means in real terms, it's as cheap as chips. If you go for anything super-cardioid/hyper-cardioid, be careful not to use a floor monitor directly behind it (ie 180° off axis). There is a 'lobe' in the polar response and it can cause feedback if you are careless in your monitor positioning. That apart, they are highly resistant to feedback.

Believe it or not, an AKG D12 makes a good vocal mic if you like a mellow tone, and it has a suitably vintage look. Most people use them on kick drum!

rocknrollrich and dueducs like this.
  10. dueducs

Noted. Thanks. At around $500, the AKG D12 should make me sound like Otis Reddding! o_Oo_O

11. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    The 55's look cool. I prefer a 58 as I've used them for decades.

dueducs likes this.
  12. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Gloucester, UK
    o_O shoot me down, throw petrol (gasoline) on me.. I got a Behringer XM8500, they are so inexpensive. It's not the same response as a SM58, the XM seems to have a bit more vocal EQ to it. It's very good with direction (off axis response very low= good) and mic handling noise is very low too (more good). It's not a cheap trashy item, all metal, very sturdy.

hornpiper and dueducs like this.
  13. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2018
    Italy
    P.S. I've had an used SM58 that was just like new. I've sold it because I've hated his sound. I'm actually using the BETA58 clone of T.BONE with a lot of satisfaction. The SM58 clone of T.BONE costs about 15 euros and the beta58 clone something about 30 euros.

dueducs likes this.
  14. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    If you have a "bassy" tone to your voice, a beta 58 will give you a clearer top end, and reduce a little bit of the bass tone.

If you have a thinner sounding voice, a 55 will give you warmth in the lower end, especially with proximity effect.

Both are very common mics, so no matter the venue, the soundman should be very familiar with either or.

I'm in an acoustic duo, and i use a beta 58, my partner uses a 55.

The beta 58 is hotter, and more articulate, the 55 is better looking.

I would use either, no problem.

dueducs likes this.
  15. dueducs

That is a helpful tidbit. Are these common thoughts about these two mics?

rocknrollrich likes this.
  16. rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I would say yes.
    The beta 58a has a sharper bass roll off, and a slight bump in the high end.
    That equates to a more articulate sound in a live situation.

The 55 is very much like a shure 58, which has a more prominent low end, especially when you sing up close to it.
    Aka proximity effect.

If you look at the eq curve sheet of a 55, you will see a solid line, and some dotted lines, corresponding to distance from the mic.

The closer you get, the more bump you get in the low end.
    This works really well for thinner voices, as it gives them some girth, and power.

If you have a powerful voice that has plenty of low end oomph, that low end bump of the 55 can become a bit overwhelming. That translates to a perceived "muddy" tone.

They are both really good mics. Workhorses with a good reputation, and solid dependability.

They are both built like tanks, and either would serve you well for many years.

If aesthetics are important, the 55 is a classy looking mic.

The beta 58a is hotter and a little more articulate.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    dueducs likes this.
  17. rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Is this for live work, or more for studio work?

My suggestions would be different for the studio.

18. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    For a superior result the mic should be matched to the individual voice.
    The mic I've had good results with widest range of voices is the supercardioid Sennheiser MD431.

At the lower price range IMO the transformerless Unidyne III variants, SM77, 545L, PE65L have a slightly smoother upper midrange than the transformer equipped versions.
    This might help on some voices and worth a try if you have access.

dueducs likes this.
  19. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Well, they'll have to burn me too. Those are simply unbelievable mics, especially at that price! $20?... wow. They're a well kept secret I guess. I use a 58 performing, but bought 2 of the Behringers, one always set up at the rehearsal space, and another as a spare with my gig stuff. Especially great, if you're on a budget, and can't always spend around $100 each on other mics. I recommend to others, to always have a spare when performing. Mics die eventually, like everything else on Earth. Only happened once performing, that I can actually remember in my case, but if you don't have a spare, you better hope there's another singer somewhere on stage with you, because suddenly it's time to double up, old school Beatles, or 50's, 60's style! For me it's actually hard to really tell the difference between the 58 and the budget Behringer! The Behringers also seem tough and well made, and come with a good, hard plastic case.

dueducs likes this.
  20. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Senn e835

dueducs likes this.