Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Vocal mic recommendations

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dueducs, Feb 10, 2019.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

That's a great question that I should have clarified in the OP. This will mostly be used for performance, but some home recording as well... nothing high-tech or for public consumption.

2. dueducs

That is detailed... thanks! Very helpful!

rocknrollrich likes this.
  3. dueducs

I have a couple 545s that I (planned to) use for micing the amp. I hadn't really considered them for vocals, but can certainly give them a try. Thanks for the advice.

4. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2014
    Midland TX
    I’ve been very happy with my old EV RE16s...much lower proximity effect, super cardioid. Not nearly as “in your face” sounding as the popular Shures (which I have)...just a preference really

dueducs likes this.
  5. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Sm58 or 57. Robert Plant used a 57 for his studio recordings, it can't be that bad.

6. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I was referring specifically to the low-impedance only transformerless versions.
    The 545S has both the transformer and a switch.

In My Opinion, the lack of an impedance matching transformer results in a noticeably smoother upper midrange response in the Unidyne III series.
    There is still the familiar presence boost but it's just a bit more balanced, less spikey.
    The peaky presence might help in a live situation, but the smoother response is better for recording use, again depending on the voice.

Since you have added that this will also be used in a live setting, that throws in the added variables of the monitor and main speakers responses to consider.

There really is a fine art to matching a vocalist to their mic for the best results.

dueducs likes this.