Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

volume pedal vs volume knob for swells

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by montemerrick, Nov 9, 2018.

1. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

what are the thises and thats?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    I like the knob on the guitar done like the old lap steelers. Tone knob swells too.

rolandson and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Steve Morse. That is all.

Not just volume...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. montemerrick

that really makes 1.0 cap come to life!

you get that breathy reedy bowed vibe but still keep a traditional guitar attack... learning changing growing all the time...

rolandson and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    For swells I like the pedal. For making adjustments to control the breakup I like to set the ķnob. I like to st the volume ķnob for the gain breakup then do swells with the pedal without having to think about it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    And with the fezz/Greene/Gibson wiring, dial back the volume a bit ( around 5-7 on a Strat knob) and swell with the tone knob. It'll act as both a volume and tone swell. ;)

You can hear it the opening here:

http://www.broadjam.com/songs/chrisneel/red-letter-blues

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    One you operate with you hand and the other you operate with your foot.

You can do volume swells with your hand and the volume knob just fine as long as it slow bluesy bendy stuff. Jeff Beck seems to manage without one. But good luck with that. We Strat and Tele guys take the pinky volume knob trick for granted but try doing in to a 335 and see how far you get.

With a pedal your hands are free to play what ever you want to and control the volume with your foot. You can get the Larry Carlton on Steely Dan records sound.

Well besides using a volume pedal to play the intro to Don’t Stop Believing I use mine to mute the signal during guitar changes. I also use my volume knob to clean up the guitar while using OD/Didtortion/Fuzz to get the right amount of grit in my tone and use the volume pedal to set the actual volume of the guitar.

I also place the volume pedal after all the dirt pedals but before the echos, modulation and Reverb. This why I can let the echo trail off after I stop the actual guitar sound. It not a big deal but it’s a cool trick to use now and again.

Oh get a decent one. They all don’t sound the same . You want one compatible with the type guitar you play. 250 ohm or 500 ohm for single or humbugger. I just made a thread about my new Dunlop Mini X a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    CigBurn, Omar, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.
  8. montemerrick

nice!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Jazzer Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    My jazzbox’s volume swells dramatically around 7.

abnormaltoy and fezz parka like this.
  10. Dadocaster

Note: I do own a volume pedal, it has traveled with me since 1982. If performing loud music, I would be using it along with doing stuff with the volume knob. Volume pedals rock.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Currently I use the knob but hope to get a volume pedal one day.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I have done that wiring on my Les Pauls, and my Tele Custom. I love the way the vol/tone knobs are so much more interactive.

fezz parka likes this.
  13. Chief101

Chief101 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    Depends on where the volume pedal is in the chain. I put my volume pedal after the OD’s and boosts and when the OD’s are in play the volume pedal decreases volume but doesn’t change the tone/ intensity of the drive. However, in the same setup, the volume knob turned down will reduce the amount of overdrive in the signal. I use both and employ either depending on the impact on tone/volume I desire.

14. Dadocaster

My Epi Jr does that. I bought stuff to rewire to make it stop. I figured it was a problem, now you tell me it's a feature??? :D

CigBurn likes this.
  15. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Depends on if it's something you can use.

Strats have middle pickups. I never use the middle by itself, and I avoid the quack positions unless someone asks for them.

16. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    I've always used the knob to do swells, but it's not always convenient or easy. Someday, I'll pop for a pedal, but it would be way down my list, it's just not a device (swells that is) I use often.

17. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    Are you a singer? I have a Morley with a minimum setting - tip the pedal back to reduce volume during vocals, then forwards for solos. Much easier than finding the knob on the guitar. Obviously some of you folks are far more experienced than me, and any Jeff Becks out there could find the volume knob and turn it from 3 1/4 to 5 7/8 faster than I can kick my pedal to the floor.

As for a pedal chain, I have mine as the final item before the amp.

I would actually prefer one of the old chrome ones, maybe I'll get one and stick a bit of wood on it to act as a "minimum volume" setting.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  18. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

?
    would you elaborate? i'm not familiar.

eta: i prefer the knob. i don't seem to get the feel i'm looking for with a pedal...the degree of control and ability to create the build or disappearing act the way i want it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  19. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Knob placement on a Les Paul make it fairly difficult for me to pick and use my little finger to do swells...It's easier to hammer the note then swell. On second generation body style Flying Vs it's much easier to pick and swell.

20. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    If your drive is dependent on the level of input, then when you swell in you'll swell from clean to dirty and it won't be a smooth increase in volume.

I prefer a volume pot somewhere in the chain after drive, or at least after a buffer. I don't want the position of the volume pedal to determine whether my tone is clean or dirty, a la Guthrie Govan. But he's GG.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 7:14 AM