Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Vox AC4C112 Review.

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Jan 18, 2019.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    But yeah all messing around aside.

This amp is so damn good. I just want to get it in already so I can have it up stairs on the second floor of my house and easily transport it from stairs, down stairs to car. Whenever need be. Just need something thats easy to carry around but above all else be heard in a venue and sound good too.

I really wanted a smaller amp with 90% of the Top Boost tone on my Ac15. Given the lower headroom 90% there is understandable and it provide undeniable vox tone in its own right. Just as the Ac15 isnt a 100% smaller Ac30 this amp isnt exactly 100% an AC15 but undeniably 100% vox as said before.

Will give the stock speaker a chance but in all likely hood switching out the speaker within a month of getting it.

I really cant understimate how gig ready and how pleasing the tones coming out of this amp are. Great cleans, brakes up smooth, and butter like OD when fully pushed especially when stacked with a pedal such as a TS type pedal

Good stuff.

2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    the stock speaker is actually not bad at all. hell you might like it. i only changed the thing because i was bored and had nothing better to do.

The-Kid likes this.
  3. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I do like it....the V type is not a bad speaker at all.

I like how the highs are there but not overbearing. Lows are tight. Mids are slightly above neutral.

It for sure is miles better than a 70/80 and on par with a Greenback or other speakers such as the Vintage 30, G12H etc etc just a bit different.

Many say its a rebadged 70/80 but having extensive play with 70/80s its definately not as shrill or lacking in the bass as they are. Also Celestion is not in the buidness of doing stuff like that aside from the EVH and Heritage Greenback...all speakers are pretty distinct and different.

Hell will probably keep it stock. I do like the stock tone.

Thanks for the advice man.

Vox brothers!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    dude, it IS a 70/80. thats what comes stock in them. if the one youre looking at comes with V type, then one of two thi gs has happened. they either changed speakers, or the amp youre looking at is pre owned ans someone else changed it.
    look it up. im not wrong.

The-Kid likes this.
  5. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    @heltershelton wait it is a 70/80...

Your right

My bad. One to many beers tonight.

6. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    @heltershelton Hell im might keep it stock for the hell of it.....

Not as shrill or lacking in bass as I once thought.

But damn now that I know....

Can I really keep it stock!?!??!

Lol thanks man

7. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    its ok kid....i was 20 somethin once. but i was much cooler than you :sneaky:

The-Kid likes this.
  8. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
  9. esseff

esseff Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2017
    Australia
  10. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Compared to that....

And even not.

Im pretty basic.

Kudos old man :)

heltershelton likes this.
  11. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    But damn now that I know its a 70/80.....

I have to mandotorily upgrade the speaker to really bring out the best in it.

I was kind of torn before but now that I know will most likely upgrade speaker.

12. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    all the time too bad i dont remember much.... annnkell.jpg

The-Kid likes this.
  13. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    its not a bad speaker. i put a greenback in mine because i was bored and had nothing better to do. but the 70/80 is awesome for things like the pod or any other multi thing.

14. esseff

esseff Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2017
    Australia
    Haha, I am the opposite. Was a skinny weed when younger and all my mates were jocks but now they are all fat slobs n I have the hot ripped bod.
    Problem is, they used to get the hot chicks but now I jus get the old tarts.
    Hmmmmmmmm...

Morf2540 likes this.
  15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Before the show I asked what Eminence speakers he had in the Vibrolux. He said they're Lil' Buddys. I checked Eminence's site, and they're rated at 99dB sensitivity. If that's accurate, they're twice as efficient as a typical 95 or 96 dB 10" speaker, so his 35 watt Vibrolux is as loud as 70 watts with stock speakers.

When I said that last year that amp more than filled the small place, he said that it handles big places well too, it's all he needs. Then I mentioned photos of him in front of a Twin Reverb and he said "Yeah, in some of the places in Europe I run two Twins and a Marshall."

If you guys want noise out of a 5w amp, put an Eminence CV75 in. It has a 102 dB rating, compared to the 97dB of the Creamback.

That is if we can trust manufacturers' claimed efficiency numbers.

The-Kid likes this.
  16. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Im actually considering the CV65.

The GB12, Private Jack and Wizard seem good but are kind of generic but the CV range is very refined and have a more spot on Celestion character.

Would go for a Vintage 30 or CV75 but the magnets are to big for this amp to fit in.

Either way I still feel Im diggin the CV65 on clips.

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    So you said above. The reason I suggested the 75 is the similar response curve, but extra 1.6 dB sensitivity. That's not much difference though, really.

The-Kid likes this.
  18. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Im not to worried about db. Dont mind lower efficient Celestions.

They sound great.

Just looking for a good tone...that being said the Eminence sound good.

Triple Jim likes this.
  19. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
  20. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    oh yeah....glad you asked. hes had his blues jr modified to be 30 watts....dont ask me what they did because i dont know. and he had it cranked up pretty loud. my poor ac4 couldnt compete. i had it dimed too....well, the master dimed and the gain on about 7. it was kinda muddy.
    so yesterday i broke out the 30, and it did just fine......barely had it cranked.... but damn that thing is heavy and i dont want to haul it back and forth all the time.
    today i found a killer deal on a 2018 demo marshall dsl20cr so its on the way. so is a new set of tung sols and a celestion g12h-75 creamback. looks like im goin back to marshall, lol.

edit....oh, and this marshall also comes stock with a 70/80. the 70/80 is rated at 98db....the g12h-75 is rated 100db, so its gonna be even louder, lol. i think 20 watts will work for rehearsals and gigs too. if not, ive got the 30 and my old 100 watt jcm 900.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    The-Kid likes this.