Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wa State - Rediscovering my love of the electric guitar

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Numbercruncher, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    This is my first music forum and have no idea if folks here prefer a simple hello or a boring CV. I guess I'll go long.

I have always loved the guitar but never really stuck with it during my college years. Big mistake!

I have told myself for the last few years to get back into it. Well last Friday night I was chilling downstairs enjoying rock and roll music. Like I have done ALL my life, I repeat songs or sections of songs that I really like. I have done this for years and figure music enthusiasts, if not serious musicians, do this as well. Who knows, maybe I am weird.

Suddenly it dawned on me! Hey stupid! You have more than one motorcycle in your garage and yet you live in a part of the country where you can only enjoy riding six, at best, months out of the year. It makes perfect sense to buy a new guitar, or two, a new amp, get acquainted with iPod or other forms of background playback and hit it hard all winter. Instead of enjoying music by only listening, learn to play; for real.

This lit a fire of motivation under me and Sunday after Thanksgiving I went to Guitar Center and decided on a new Straticastor Deluxe model in the Sapphire blue. I thought long and hard about the HSS model at the same price point as it hit harder for the heavy metal sound I like and I could clearly hear this when the GC guy demoed them back to back. But since I also really like lighter sections like The Outfield, The Eurythmics, Bryan Adams and others, I decided on the Sapphire Blue Deluxe model in the SSS configuration. I kind of like to have unique colors of "hobby" items and the blue really sold me.

Well yesterday I was still really amped up (no pun intended) about playing again on this so I went back and bought the HSS model in the Aged Cherry Sunburst. The SSS Strat won't show up until Friday, hopefully, as GC had to bring one in from the warehouse in Kansas City I believe. Since I paid for that guitar, a case, a stand and the amplifier all at the same time, I decided to not pick up the amp and stands until the guitar shows up. So that means the beautiful new Aged Cherry Sunburst is merely appreciated by my eyes and not my hands.

I decided, initially, on either of these two models after hearing the GC sales rep play a few chords and a little bit of lead guitar on several models in this price point. They all sounded different, yet the same at the same time. I could probably be happy with any of them. I am more interested in really learning the instrument and figure my tastes could change so rather than invest $4,000 on two entirely made in the US models, I would start out with a smaller cash outlay. I will emphasize I really like the way the rep played both of these Fender Straticastor models. Ironically, he didn't play anything I recognized so it wasn't like I got excited think I would be able to play AC DC or GnR tomorrow.

Buying two may prove to be a mistake but if I really take an interest I can see me adding at least an acoustic and maybe a really nice guitar once I figure out that I am really going to stick with it and can actually hear a difference myself in say a year's time or whenever.

So there you have my boring bio and where I am today. Rain and snow in Spokane the next three months and I cannot wait for that amp to show up.

NC

2. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Two within a week? What do they put in the water up there? Sounds like someone had a good day on Wall Street or robbed a bank...:D
    Welcome.
    Can I borrow $30,000?

3. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Welcome!

I like the way you think. Can't wait to see some pictures of this gear.

Numbercruncher and T Bone Slort like this.

4. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    You should be able to enjoy the hss model without the amp. At least till Friday

altar, velvet_man, fattboyzz and 3 others like this.

5. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    Wow, two in one shot, you rock man!... Welcome to the zoo.
    Pics on Friday guys!! :thumb:

Numbercruncher likes this.

6. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

7. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    "Pics or it didn't happen"

The cherry sunburst (or Sienna) is a favourite of mine.

You can play without an amp.
    Just find a quiet place and hold it against your body, you'll hear and/or feel the notes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

8. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Hi and welcome to ST.

Numbercruncher likes this.

9. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    $30,000? Yeah right. I had a budget that had to come in under $2,000. And this $2,000 is my travel/fun money for winter time. So I thought a $600 guitar and an $800 wouldn't be too out of line. I will say that when it comes to a hobby that I really enjoy, I will spend SOME money. Way before I am ready this ride of a lifetime will come to a close and I won't regret having purchased two guitars. David Cassidy just passed away and as he was slipping away he whispered, "So much time wasted."

Hopefully the Sapphire Blue Strat will show up Friday and I'll get them on stands downstairs and snap a few pics. I am going to try to dress that room up a little bit in the next day or two to help tie me over.

Life is short. Play like you mean it.

NC

Tone Guru, dante1963 and Groovey like this.

10. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Well, he is a "numbers guy" apparently. Welcome to the area. Buying two guitars in a week shouldn't shock too many people on this site.

Nate D, Davey77, Tone Guru and 3 others like this.

11. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody

12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    Welcome to ST !

I have 2 questions.

What song was in your ear when you had your stringed epiphany ? :0)

&

What amp did you purchase for all the tones you are gonna enjoy ?

13. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Two "new to me" guitars happened just last month. "Oops, I did it again." Sometimes it just happens.

dante1963 likes this.

14. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I was listening to Tears are Falling by Kiss. I really like the rhythm section as that song starts out and the solo in the middle of the song. Not sure if this is one I'll be able to play in two months or two years but I am cool with either time frame. I have no delusions of grandeur which is why I didn't have the GC guy play songs that would get me overly fired up. I wanted to be able to objectively determine which guitars sounded the best to me.

Now I won't lie to you. There was a musician playing a floor demo guitar on a used amp and he was softly playing Dirty Deeds. Sounded good. Real good.

BTW the amp is a Boss Katana KTN-50. The sales guy said he was a little leery of that brand and model but sold a bunch of them and not a single one came back. Online reviews have been great as well. It will be a practice amp for the foreseeable future and don't see me needing much else for a while. Now if folks here are like, "For $75 more such and such an amp is more versatile and may save money in the long run," I would consider it. But the two guitars that were demoed were demoed on this amp and it sounded great to me.

NC

fattboyzz likes this.

15. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Pics or it's a Hello Kitty uke!

fattboyzz likes this.

16. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    Agree on pics. According to UPS, guitar #2 arrives today. I'll have pics up by tomorrow. I am trying to get a few accessories added to my playing area and have decided to make a couple plank signs. That won't interfere with the setup and getting playing but the room won't be finalized until I get the two signs made and at least one guitar themed poster mounted.

However I'll have them both on stands by later today for sure and snap a few pics.

NC

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

17. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    Here are at least a few pics. This is just my basement but I bought a couple section rugs in black so that my stool doesn't have to slide across the carpet and or dig into it. I also hung a black background to make for better photos. And it turns out I'll leave that background and have this as my playing area. I won't put any more effort into the playing area and will now begin to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NC

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    LongLiveRock54, 8T_BoCO and Davey77 like this.

18. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE Strat-Talk Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Digging those two. Good luck man! If I could go back in time and spend more time playing...but alas...
    Your Katana should serve you well.
    Not to give you another project...but Sneaky amps and the V2 update. Nuff said.
    Get to work.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Welcome to ST, and HNGD! you did well picking out good equipment. Those are really nice pro level guitars, and don't sweat the amp choice, the Katana is a great amp, and you could easily gig with your new rig. :thumb:

20. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    Thanks folks. Very cool vibe around here. I have a few youtube channels recommended to get me going.

I have decided to take down the black background and just slowly fill the wall with posters or other cool guitar related items. Something to be said for escaping to your own little world and doing your own thing. Shades closed down, amplifier turned up.

NC

duzie likes this.