Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Want a maple neck..........

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SlyStrat, Jan 10, 2019.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 16, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a new Fender American Special with rosewood neck.
    I'm thinking of selling the rosewood neck and buying a new Am Spl
    maple neck from Stratosphere.
    He shows the weight of bodies but not necks.
    Do they vary in weight a lot?
    I don't want a heavier neck.
    What about the serial numbers?
    My Strat won't have the original serial number.

Groovey likes this.
  2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    I’d keep,the original neck for completeness because right or wrong, once you’ve swapped the neck out, it is no longer recognized as a Strat and becomes a partscaster. With the original neck, you can always swap it back on and the guitar becomes whole again. It’s silly I know but it seems to be the nature of things.

I’ve never noted that necks vary greatly but I’ve probably only handled half a dozen Strat necks. Someone else may be able to weigh in with more info.

Demon Dave, Strums, SurfsUp and 6 others like this.
  3. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They don't vary all that much, but I second Andrew's advice.

KEEP THE ORIGINAL NECK.

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ
    They do feel a little different but they don’t weigh different.

I think maple looks nicer on a Fender, but Gibson ruined me and when I buy a guitar fretboard material is the last thing I consider.

Fret size and radius are a bigger consideration for me.

Definitely buy one to try out, or better yet buy another guitar.

Groovey likes this.
  5. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 16, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I have 4 American Specials.
    Love the neck and jumbo frets.
    Prefer the feel and look of maple.

6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Why on earth would you do that?

First, you lose provenance of the guitar...as @Andrew Wasson has pointed out. And you gain nothing by doing so.

Just stick it in the box the maple comes in and shove it in a closet somewhere.

You'll be glad you did.

7. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2014
    Oregon
    Buy another American Special with a maple neck. Next year you'll probably realize that you like the rosewood also, because they are great. You can thank us later.

Demon Dave and Blackmore Fan like this.
  8. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Does Fender do something different these days? As far as I'm aware, serial numbers on necks are not tied in any way —neither on the production floor nor in their official records— to any of the stamps, stickers, etc., that are found on bodies... at least not with standard models/series.

My point is: if you took 2 similar guitars made during the same year and swapped necks/bodies, how would anyone really know which neck belonged to which body? Would Fender even be able to tell? I'm asking because I would really like to know!

chicago slim and SlyStrat like this.
  9. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-O-Master

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    In my experience one piece maple necks don't have a lot of variation in weight. Ebony boards can really add some weight. Rosewood maybe a little.

10. jpmist

jpmist Strat-Talker

Mar 26, 2010
    Decatur
    I fully support your right to do whatever with your guitar, so, having swapped my share of necks I say go for it. I'm guessing selling the original neck might finance the swapped out new one, but consider trying to find a used eBay neck instead of paying Stratosphere's high retail prices.

If you're willing to go thru the added hassle, the necks I have on my 2 partcasters came from complete guitars I got off eBay and then parted out. The flamey one in my profile pic came from a MIM 50's Series, my other from a Cray. This will open up quite a few more necks for you to ponder and you can shop for the precise specs you like, like fret size and neck profile. Selling a loaded pickguard and separate body isn't that hard as there's a good market for both and the three main parts tend to sell for more than the original guitar.

Be sure to check some YouTube videos on making the neck swap, it's real important you keep the same neck angle of the original neck or all heck breaks loose with your saddle height.

[​IMG]

SlyStrat likes this.
  11. Tim S

Tim S Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2015
    NYS
    I haven't swapped a neck on my Strats, but I did swap the neck on my Triple Tele (to a Baja 50s neck) and the guitar weighed 11oz less after the swap. So, yes, swapping necks can make difference in guitar weight.

Maybe you can contact the vendor and have them weigh it for you??

12. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario
    KEEP the neck as other's have pointed out.

But, go maple......go V!!! Get a nice, soft, V neck and never look back!

13. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

Aug 23, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I love the American Specials, with maple necks. I own two of them. I tried finding a Standard or Professional that I like as much, and I still haven't found one.

14. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

well, the person who switched out the neck would know. then that person would need to disclose that the guitar is no longer original and falls into that ethereal world of the partscaster. which translates to a lower price point.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    When Fender replies to a serial number inquiry, they include the make of the neck and the color of the body. To make the swap undetected would require swapping necks on bodies of identical color.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  16. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

Sep 11, 2012
    Melbourne
    ^ And identical spec......with regard to trem and pickup configuration.

Blackmore Fan and Andrew Wasson like this.