Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Warmoth, Fender and Gibson comparison jam

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Highway Star, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talk Member

I really like the Les Paul. A lot of bite. If that's ok to say at a strat forum :whistling:

Stratoskater likes this.

2. Highway Star

I like the les paul as well. The sustain is amazing. Great for lead but for distorted rythm playing it is the best there is. My absolute favourite for this kind of playing is the 57 though.

Textele and simoncroft like this.

3. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    It's interesting to me, because I've always thought the Gibson P90 pickups – like you have in your LP – sound great: very punchy and full of warmth but with nice harmonic content. Whether it's in Les Pauls, SGs, or Gibson's big-bodied jazz guitars, I really like the sound. (So did Eddie Cochran, who installed one in the neck position of his Gretsch G6120, of course.)

Oddly enough, they don't always work that well in Fender guitars, I feel. In the neck position, they're a good alternative to the standard Tele pickup, but in the bridge, I've found them to sound surprisingly shrill sometimes. I think maybe they're just voiced to work with the sound you get from a mahogany construction and the less 'separated' sound you get from a shorter scale, if that makes any sense.

Highway Star likes this.

4. Highway Star

Interesting, thats excaly what I thought about P90 ever since I started to experiment with different pickups and body woods etc. Oddly even a low winded humbucker sounds better in a strat body. But in a Les Paul the P90 sounds better than a PAF in my opinion. You get bite, punch and sustain without the fuzzy tone from the PAF/Humbucker.

To my experience the wood and scale often affects the tone a lot more than the pickups.

5. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    You are such a great player that you make them all sound similar.

You sound like you on all the guitars and that is a great thing.

You have a command to your playing that trumps the guitar being used.

It's your hands and heart coming through.

Fantastic player like you can sound good on a First Act starter guitar pack.

Enjoyed the video and the playing. It had a real Steely Dan type vibe to your attack, major props to you!

6. Highway Star

Wow, thanks a million. I appriciate it :thumb:.

Textele likes this.