Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Warmoth replacement neck just delivered!

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by ledvedder, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM.

1. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    Unfinished maple, SS frets, Wolfgang profile. This thing is beautiful. I'm planning to finish it with Tru Oil. 20181011_133023~2.jpeg 20181011_133030~2.jpeg 20181011_133012~2.jpeg

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2012
    Flew Here On My Dragonfly
    looks fantastic - nice high-end build!!

3. evangilder

evangilder Strat-Talk Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    Ooh! that looks real nice! Is that a Sigler loaded pick guard?

4. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    Yep, it started life as an SX strat. Only the body remains now. SSL5, 2xSSL1 pickguard, Wilkinson tremolo, Warmoth neck.

evangilder likes this.

5. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito

6. evangilder

evangilder Strat-Talk Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    Nice! They do a great job on those. I put one with the Tex Mex pickups in my Cozart and it sounds great.

7. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I'm rethinking how I want to finish it. I've been reading about the Minwax wipe on poly. Lots of folks are saying it's much easier and faster than Tru oil. I'm also considering tinting it a bit.

What options do I have?

8. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    Nice. New neck day is always a goodie.

thomquietwolf likes this.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I would say to get a piece of Maple and cut it into pieces and do some testing first. Take my word for it and do the samples, make your mistakes and learn with them, not your nice new neck !

Your color/tinting may only be approximent with your samples since they will not be on the same peice of wood the neck is from but it will still give you good info and the chance to see which finish is easier to do or better for you or whatever.

wipe on poly is by far the fastest and easiest and the tru oil will allow a lacquer like finish without spraying but needs a bit more work.

But both are good finishes for peeps with little experience or no spray equiptment to use and get a quality finish.

10. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma

I used Minwax wipe on for the back of my maple/rosewood board warmoth neck and it worked great!

However, I didn’t have to do the fretboard since it was rosewood, so I have no experience using it between frets.

11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Does "unfinished" mean it's bare wood? I don't remember if "unfinished" still has a coating on it to protect it against moisture.. I'd think it wouldn't be good to ship a guitar neck/body without a finish on it to protect against moisture, at least to some extent.

12. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

did you read the Warmoth warranty?

Their warranty requires hard coat finishing. Oil does not satisfy that requirement.

Now then, I think @henderman makes a valid suggestion...test samples.

Or just finish it. If you've a warm space that is able to stand the smell, a rattle can of whatever will do a fine job of it. I happen to prefer nitrocellulose...there are a bunch of them, I like Behlen's.

Poly is also nice...nothing wrong with it at all.

The thing about proper finishing is that one needs a proper place to do it,and be willing to let it dry. (Nitro takes a long time.)

13. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    Has anyone used this stuff? Would it work for me? 20181014_145501.jpeg

14. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    im not 100% sure but i think warmoth puts a sealer on all their necks. seems like i read that somewhere.

15. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    Yes, but everyone is saying I should apply something so the tint/stain applies more uniformly.

16. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    you might want to listen to them, because im no finishing expert.
    i think the best thing to do would be to call and talk to someone at warmoth directly. ive done that a few times and they were extremely helpful.