Join Strat-Talk Today

We need to make a demo... any advice?

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by Mansonienne, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

You make a good point, but it's very easy to make a cruddy video, with the limiter in the camcorder pumping like crazy, half the footage featuring the back of someone's head, the stage area a burned-out blur in the gloom, and an excruciating amount of time between numbers spent doing what my grandfather called "faffing about".

I think the trick is to keep the fundamental quality high, but the final production simple. After all, it's a showcase for the band, not a showreel for the production team.

3. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't forget to add the crowd applause sound effects to the mix . ;):)

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Thanks, I was looking for one of those!

tery likes this.
  5. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sure Andrea's band needs no such help, Tery. :sneaky:

There are two ways to make it appear a band is going down like a lead balloon, when they actually had the audience eating out of their hands on the night.

One, mix the audience too low at the end of the numbers. Bearing in mind the people watching the video aren't surrounded by a live audience, you have to boost the audience volume to give a better impression of how it was in the night. Now, if all you have to work with is a bunch of feeds, or a stereo mix, off the Front of House desk, there is going to be almost no audience on the tracks. No one really wants to 'fake it', but better to do that than leave the impression the audience were underwhelmed.

Two, create a bit of movement by cutting to the audience, but use the wrong bit of footage! Cutting to other clips is a great way to compensate for the fact you only have one camcorder, but not if you cut to the audience chatting before the gig, just as a song ends. Even if your ears tell you the audience is clapping, your eyes insist they were indifferent. ​

I discovered this second one while editing a gig I shot for a friend. To liven things up a bit, I cut to the audience at the end of the number. Except I picked the wrong clip. It was mainly the singer's wife from about two hours earlier. Of course, she wasn't clapping, which made her look really bored. Rather than set off a domestic row, I changed it for one of some enthusiastic drunks near the stage going ape. Job done. :D

6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

@Mansonienne A couple months back I committed, and am now back in the band game after many, many years away.

We recorded some tunes in the barn we practice in. We mic'd everything up, into an old 12 channel EV board I have and ran stereo out into a usb interface and into my laptop with Audacity.

I'd like to have some video, but, whatever. We'll get to that.

I registered a domain name and put together this website using a WordPress template.

On it you'll find our brute force, rather raw, live recording of Evenflow from two weeks ago.
    https://www.id90band.com

Using a camera mic or Zoom mic can do a good job too. We also had one of them setup. The direct recording sounds better...but also exposes a lot more :eek: :cool:

BTW, I paid $50 for the mixer a couple summers ago. There's old,but good, gear out there real cheap if you need it.

20190302_161031.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Mansonienne likes this.
  7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

A bar owner will want to see you playing a crowded bar with LOTS of beer being consumed. You are beer salesmen and your music is a minor inconvenience.

amstratnut, tery and Mansonienne like this.
  8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Now I wanna scream
    !!! F R E E E E B I R D !!!

Mansonienne and tery like this.
  9. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

"Free Beer... tomorrow" sign

Mansonienne likes this.
  10. Mansonienne

Cool! You guys are tight! I enjoyed that.

I think we will need video since our strength is not technical skill (although our drummer and lead guistarist are very good)...we may need to focus on the “fun” part, try to bring some energy.

Thanks for the suggestions. My drummer has a mixer and I think the guitarist was planning to get one, too.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    joe_cpwe likes this.
  11. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Mansonienne likes this.
  12. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

13. 4stratshere

4stratshere Strat-Talk Member

Yep ! Record a video in the garage because promo people and those who hire you for gigs will want to know what you sound like ' in the flesh ' My band has a C.D. and we use that to get gigs but always seem to play a near approximation of what is on the disc. Cheers and hope this helps!

Mansonienne likes this.
  14. Mansonienne

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I’m a great believer in selling “in the best possible light”. There are some very good suggestions following your posting, especially in reference to your sound/player ability. Put together a “sow tape” to demonstrate your musical talent and support this with some professional images.

Some quality images of the band can be used for numerous future events and, whilst initially could be costly, will prove to be great value for money. The images are what need to be staged, with full makeup and best stage outfits for the whole band. :D :thumb:

Mansonienne likes this.
  16. JP64

JP64 Strat-Talk Member

Hello, my baby, hello, my darlin’...

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I set up a camcorder on a tripod at our gigs when feasible. I put a digital audio recorder (Tascam DR-05) in the room when we rehearse.

Before we had video, I took a rehearsal room recording and created a slide show from pictures of the band or pictures representative of the song (my duo played Space Oddity).

For the bar/restaurant gigs we were after this was good enough.

If you don't already, get a facebook page, a youtube channel, and a soundcloud account set up. A band website is useful as well though my duo did perfectly fine without it.

Keep in mind that the majority of the time, your samples will be viewed and heard through the tiny speaker on somebody's cell phone.

rocknrollrich and Mansonienne like this.
  18. Mansonienne

Thanks - and good point re cell phone!!!

19. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

The audio in my camcorder could be better and I researched what I could do to improve that. Then I considered how the videos are viewed most of the time and decided it wouldn't be worth it.

If you have the time and the interest to go for a more professional production, that's fine as long as it doesn't prevent you from getting something out there in a timely fashion. Otherwise something simpler will do.

I think in most cases you just need to show that yes, you are competent on your instruments and you sound decent together as a band.

Mansonienne likes this.
  20. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Here's my treatment:

Imagine the rooftop Beatles "concert".

You're in the garage and start playing. Suddenly people start walking up the drive way. By the end of the song...the driveway is full of people. Fade to black....Title card with Band Name and contact info.

joe_cpwe, amstratnut and Mansonienne like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.