Join Strat-Talk Today

Week 2! Weekly update: where did you see improvement?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Duotone, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

This week I transcribed and made a practice arrangement of Sigrids "Strangers", bassline and Hi-hat on 2 and 4, and had a lot off fun improvising over that song. I also did some melody play-along to Frank Sinatra and John Coletrane versions of the jazz standard "I love you".

I did scale motifs and arpeggi over a 2&4 hi-hat backing track, and I feel that my playing is begining to tighten up. I am beginning to be able to do pauses, triplets and some sixthenth runs and still keep time fairly in synch with that merciless backing track. I have programmed a few walking basslies to do some chord changes/improvisation and train my ears to fill in the harmonic gap.

Finally I have been writing/working on a really difficult progressive/djent metal riff a lot of 32th notes, syncopated 16th and some 16th-triplets and gruelling position shifts, occational Palm muting. Guess I have to use a month or three to get it into my blood and up to speed. But I see small improvements day to day. So I look forward to make a recording of it someday soon!

For next week I will take a little time working on 3:4 and 4:3 polyrhythms.

How did you guys do this week?

duzie and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

This week I have mainly been eating sprouts.:confused:

Oh, and working on this little tune. I may be some time...

rgbedard likes this.
  3. Duotone

Wow! Django's phrasing on that is amazing! That constant variation between rushing and pulling the lines, rubber band timing and somehow always on the top of things.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Kitten notebook is working, getting song ideas all the time. Put one together in half assed fashion tonight to see if it works.

Duotone likes this.
  5. Duotone

Soon you get a full grown cat out of that notebook!

6. Dadocaster

Hope not. I already have 35lbs of cat around here.

Thrup'ny Bit and Duotone like this.
  7. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Worked a bit on a song I’ve written, trying to get the riff nailed down.

Trying to play without tensing up my shoulders and hands...

Trying to keep strumming rhythm steady while singing on Breakdown.

Practicing a few songs, managing to improve my strumming (lighter, cleaner) on Roxanne - my bandmate commented on the improvement!

8. Duotone

That's great!

Playing loose with ease feels so counterintuitive when you start, then suddenly when things start to snap into place you can't understand the caveman approach you once had! I used to play so hard that playing tight was practically impossible...

9. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

Mostly working on Cohen's Hallelujah; "polishing" ("hammering" more like) last verse of alternate set of lyrics, recording a bass track ... same stuff as last week, lol, but making progress ... bought a new (to me) vintage Mandolin, been spending time getting to know a new instrument ...

Mansonienne likes this.
  10. Duotone

I need to check up on that version. The Cale/Buckley thing kind of took over for a while.

Mansonienne likes this.
  11. Dadocaster

It's Sunday. Are we starting week 3 or still on week 2? I may well put another song sketch together late tonight.

Mansonienne likes this.
  12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Not to be boastful, but after reaching a certain level of proficiency sometimes when goofing around and trying to hit a sour note or chord it still somehow manages to sound right!? :confused: It's like I'm holding the string too perfect for it to sound "totally" wrong. There's just not enough muted string buzz or something...

Of course, remembering back when I first started, I couldn't nail the right note to save my life!

That's why it's good to always attempt something that's challenging, otherwise you can find yourself just playing what's comfortable and get stuck there...

`

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.