Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam #53 supposed to be Allman Brothers-y

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by montemerrick, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    In my context, I'm using it as "stretching out beyond my normal boundaries, trying something different than my usual muscle memory bag of licks, trying to think more creatively, and less within my norm".

Weather I really succeeded or not, I don't know.

I think some use the term as literally playing outside of the pentatonic "box" scale pattern.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I totally smile when the kid says, "now you shred".

montemerrick and simoncroft like this.

3. Omar

Omar ɹɐɯO Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you everyone, that was helpful! I'll listen carefully to the track and practice the mode.

Happy birthday @montemerrick :)

montemerrick and Mellencaster like this.

4. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Let me quote Tommy Chong "Far out,man!"This is the track to be listening in an altered state as one ponders life and the universe definitions.Very good production and playing!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    simoncroft and Omar like this.

5. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Ebidis - Great tone and dead on the groove. Both takes are really good, though I prefer the second. The tone and licks just worked better for me. Very nice!
    @Mellencaster - Great jam feel and tone. Well played!
    @montemerrick - Unique approach with the acoustic. Gives an almost Grateful Dead jam vibe. Cool!
    @mjark - Great 70s arena style vibe and licks. I can smell the smoke thats filling the arena. Groovy!
    @simoncroft - Great title! Good stuff here simon, almost a psychedelic feel reminiscent of Creams live jams. Cool!

6. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I've never heard the original, so I went for my best 70s live jam hack.
    Errr, impression, improvisation, err, yea, something like that. :confused:

joe_cpwe, QMTstrat, knh555 and 8 others like this.

7. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Nice big thick tone! Really cool. Great playing, melodic, and very well played.

Omar and TheDuck like this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Old Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    I just played the chorus. As that's not on the backing track, there's nothing to upload. :whistling:

s5tuart, duzie, Omar and 1 other person like this.

9. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Newbie Q: what do vamp and shredding mean?

10. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    A vamp generally refers to one or two chords repeated without changing.

Shredding (generally) refers to playing a lot of notes very fast, but can also just refer to soloing in general.

Omar likes this.

11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Strat-O-Master

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Wow, I enjoyed listening to each and every one of these!! These types of tracks are tough because they go nowhere...it's up to you to create any tension and give it some sense of movement and direction. You guys all did that nicely!!

@TheDuck Is that the Eleven Rack? If so, damn you've dialed in a sweet tone! I thought it was interesting that your guitar was loud and proud right in front of the mix, but at the same time is sat in the mix and you could hear the backing track.

TheDuck, Omar and Ebidis like this.

12. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I feel you...I can hit the notes but not as fast as the track. When I go slower, it sounds better but I couldn't get the vibe. Time to start my project, I have an excuse not to participate this week lol.

13. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    No excuses. Get to it. E,or B minor pent.

Now go!

Omar likes this.

14. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Yep, thats the 11R. I love it more every time I use it.

Thanks for complement on the mix. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

15. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Thank you Omar! so weird. must be the 11 thing because for some reason i'm a year YOUNGER today!

Omar, Mellencaster and Ebidis like this.

16. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Ebidis 1 – Yeah, dig it. I can smell the patchouli oil and almost the see the light show at Fillmore East. There is something about your alternating use of long, repeating motifs and variation that captures the sense of you all jamming together.

@Mellencaster – Well, it’s cutting it for me! Plenty of great ideas there, all delivered in a style that definitely reminds me of Jimi. If I heard someone play this as an extended solo at a gig, I’d be seriously impressed. That’s a really well rounded piece you did there.

@montemerrick – If I was a full-time music critic, I’d probably claim to hear the influence of squirrels in your piece. “It’s almost as if you can hear nuts in their little claws, as they stash their hoard…” Hopefully, I’m not that big a tosser, but there is a very delicate nature to what you played.

@mjark – There are no prizes here, but if there were, you’d definitely win my “Take I Secretly Wish People Think I’d Done”. It’s got the lot really. Great use of harmony and imaginative exploration of the melodic possibilities within the mixolydian mode over this sequence.

@Ebidis 2 – Nicely controlled and yet suitably dangerous sounding. I can sense you channeling a lot of Jimi here. I probably will hear surf music again, but I think this take entitles you to claim otherwise. Very good.

@TheDuck – “Impressive resumé Mr Duck, but are you Experienced?” I believe you are. Ducking great playing and an absolutely killer tone. Seriously, sounds bigger than the sky. All hail TheDuck and the 11R.

TheDuck, Omar, montemerrick and 2 others like this.

17. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Thank you Simon. So you caught the "Third Stone" vibe in the second take. :thumb: I will admit that the bass line was leading me in that direction. It has the same kind of Vibe.

and that is the exact feel I was hoping for on the first take.

18. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    Just jammed thru this one

joe_cpwe, QMTstrat, knh555 and 6 others like this.

19. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Sounds great .Very melodic , very good mixing between the BT and the guitar .

TheDuck likes this.

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Brian H – This is definitely the wildest take we've had so far and, oddly, I'm not too surprised who played it! The more gymnastic side of your playing – and I must say you're bloody great at it – is an A1 match for this track. I'm seeing a lot of lighters out there...

Omar and Ebidis like this.