Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam #53 supposed to be Allman Brothers-y

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by montemerrick, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Don't know what to say other than wow. That was just plain good. :cool:

Brian H and Omar like this.

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Indescribably delicious ,Brian!

3. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

I happily accept the influence of squirrels!

simoncroft and Omar like this.

4. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Kudos to all the submissions so far
    I've been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this one...
    Maybe that's next

TheDuck, Omar and montemerrick like this.

5. montemerrick

i'm sorry i wont be able to listen and comment this evening... (my partner has made plans to force me to celebrate offically being able to get a double wide in a 55 and over trailer park)

but i did do another take last night that i thought i 'd post so... sorry twice?

knh555, carolinaeasy, duzie and 4 others like this.

6. Omar

Omar ɹɐɯO Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    A mixture of Bm pent, D mixo and Em pent ;) I'll do my best to post my take tonight.

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    D mixo, and E minor (aeolian) are the exact same scale. So if you use E minor pent, it's D mixo with two notes missing. B minor pent is only one note away. You can also just use D or A minor pent.

Omar likes this.

8. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

9. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Very cool groove , in sections it's like you're playing a Rhodes piano and also it has a cinematic theme style .Structured nicely with the both guitar tracks and I quite liked the break at 2:57

10. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @montemerrick 2 – Thematically stronger than your first take, to my ear. That kind of playing would secure you a place a Grateful Dead tribute band, I reckon. Lots of nice circular motifs going round and round…

@knh555 – Your interpretation of the rhythm is very distinctive and seems to work very well. You have mixed the guitars kinda loud, so some of the subtle interplay with the backing is lost. Love the folk vibe and great slide though.

11. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Funny you should say that. Couldn't agree more about the mix. I was just listening to this in my Jeep and the mix came off quite differently than in my studio set-up. I've remixed and replaced it. Not sure I got it right, but the backing should be stronger now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

12. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    That's vastly better IMO. Now it does justice to your fine playing, and you can hear how you play off the other parts.

Call me slow, but I've only now consciously thought this is either in 3/4, or the world's slowest example of 6/8. The groove is so powerful, it never even occurred to me to count it. :oops:

13. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I approached it a bit differently. I couldn't come up with anything the last two days and tonight it hit me. I set the DAW to 4/4 at 43 bpm with the bass hitting the triplets, but played very much aware of the 6/8 count. That helped me find this groove.

duzie and simoncroft like this.

14. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I'm late, I'm late... and I showed up with a "room mic" kind of tone

15. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Hmm 3/4 time .
    What's this counting you speak of
    This is just another benefit for me of these jams ...
    If nothing else I'll turn this backing track into a practice session.
    Thanks for the heads up on the time signature

simoncroft and Omar like this.

16. Omar

Omar ɹɐɯO Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I've been practicing the track for two days. I felt that middle tones between Bm pent up to D mixolydian (7th fret - 13th fret) fit the track more than really high tones. I hope I'm not late to submit my improv.

17. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    it's literally never too late. All the Weekly Jams and Challenges are still on-line and you're welcome to join in any of them.

TheDuck and Omar like this.

18. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    @Ebidis I grabbed the Les Paul as well. Also - "Here's my OCD - right up front in this video" - like how you think. A nice straight up blues take with a little patience to let some notes ring and sustain.

@Mellencaster - I liked around 1:20ish when you dig into some chords. Great, gnarly sound

@montemerrick Around 1:39 there is a realyl nice, melodic lick that you do. Nice, vocal quality there

@njark You took that Allman's thing seriously! I'm glad I listened with cans, because the L/R pan sounds fnatastic in the intro

@simoncroft Ravi ould approve of those licks.

@TheDuck At around 2:15 there was a pick slide and trill that made me think of the "arms in the air" and everyone swigs their beers at the show moment.

@Brian H Very aggressive - which I like with this. The triplet feel and repetitive nature of the back track really wants someone to hit it with a sledgehammer. You did that

@knh555 The rhythm guitar sounds really cool - that out of phase kind of sound. One thing that I like is that even with two guitars playing, you left some space in a number of sections

Mellencaster, Omar, Ebidis and 2 others like this.

19. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    You made me go back and watch to see what I did :confused:
    Not a pick slide, just a fret hand "wipe" of the board.

Thanks! :thumb:

knh555 and LeicaBoss like this.

20. montemerrick

@Ebidis - sounds like you! riff-ish and tone-ful! nice guitar too!

@Mellencaster - great tone and nice mix - you frame that drum that i found so annoying in a very flattering way! very nice phrasing.

@mjark - nice dreamy vibe. i'm impressed that you could maintain this sort of contra-vibe - so swinging against the repetitive and solid drums! you really improved the track!

@simoncroft - this is terrific! now all we need to do is get you a more interesting drummer! when you break out the lead bits it gets downright awesome! nice playing!

@Ebidis 2 - trippy! definitely has the less than rose-colored aspect of acid. a spacey and insistent kind of Airplane vibe.

@TheDuck - i'd never heard it either! i don't think it cost you any... sound like you played with what you had and that was all that you needed! nice chops!

@Brian H - take Hendrix and ask him to play in the style of Vai. bam! very cool, and instructive, as always...

@knh555 - if we gave away awards, you would force us to invent one for consistent internal logic from a place far beyond that somehow ends up sounding good on earth too! a nice soundtrack for Cassini's last plunge. i didn't hear the first mix, but this one is terrific. and the play between the guitars is mega-appealing. and like @Mellencaster you managed to get me to not hate that mechanical thud thud thud-thud thud thud. learned me something from that.

@LeicaBoss - nice playing and a killer tone! very fitting for the era, a swirling exploratory sortie into the fringes and back again! not fusion but played with a jazz influenced knowledge that this one path of many. never step into the same river twice!

Mellencaster, Omar, Ebidis and 2 others like this.