Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam #53 supposed to be Allman Brothers-y

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by montemerrick, Sep 9, 2017.

1. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! And I didn't share any other mixes b/c I wasn't happy with any of them. And regarding that thud, I love it - guitar percussion has its place!

[EDIT] If you mean the poorly mixed version that Simon commented on, I didn't leave that up very long. The balance was simply off.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    montemerrick likes this.

2. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Nice '70's jam vibe here. Great tone and I enjoyed listening to this quite a bit. Cutting it to about three minutes might make you the smartest one here.

Mellencaster likes this.

3. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

I love your enthusiasm for the acoustic. Also, I found this melodic with a nice consistent theme. Like the "Japanese" track we did back in spring, I hear in your acoustic takes some wonderful lines to duet off of with a nice tonal contrast.

4. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Nicely restrained, but I know that's your thing. The opening harmonies worked great. I agree with Ebidis - dreamy. You did a nice job of keeping a long, monotonous track interesting, which is no small feat.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

5. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

Holy cow! No holding back on this production!!! What year is this anyway? 1969? It seemed wrong to listen to this sober somehow. Awesome!

simoncroft likes this.

6. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I liked the first take, but the second was more coherent and stronger tone I think. Nicely done!

7. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Beautiful tone. You managed to keep it interesting, which is no mean feat with this track. And yes, very '70s and nicely executed. You even have the Mark Knopfler wristband thing going on there.

8. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Wow. Not sure what else to say. But I still think you're speeding up the video. No one's hands and arms move that fast! :thumb:

9. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I really like the theme you established right at the top of this one with nice variations on the theme that you came back to, tying this nicely together. Just a touch of crunch in the tone too. Munched acorns perhaps?

montemerrick likes this.

10. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks!
    I never thought about the wristband thing, (LOL) but yea, you're right :D

11. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @LeicaBoss – Very clever. Firstly, I would have completely bought into the ‘this is our band live’ story. Even though the backing is somewhat robotic, that mic is definitely in the room. Secondly, I totally approve your Zappaesque workout, complete with all clever detours against the vamp that involves. I think that's probably one of the best takes I've ever heard from you.

LeicaBoss likes this.

12. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I have to agree with @simoncroft. Zappaesque and the in-the-room sound works really well. Seriously. You definitely kept it interesting throughout. I could see a concert with you and @simoncroft dueling away based on both your takes this week. This is one of those takes that I wish I could play but don't really see this music coming out of me. It seems to come naturally to you. Nicely done!

simoncroft and LeicaBoss like this.

13. Omar

Omar ɹɐɯO Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I apologize in advance to your ears.

I used clean channel and with distortion pedal (Boss DS-1). Splitted bridge humbucker.

Thank you for helping me learning a new mode.

14. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Song renamed above. Methinks I should hear what you and @simoncroft have to say before I name my tunes. You guys have given me some good ones, like Pee the Tree.

Ebidis, simoncroft and montemerrick like this.

15. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Omar – I can tell you have the makings of a very good guitarist. Why? Because you have a good feel for rhythm, and a strong ear for what notes fit. You ask questions. You're also not afraid to tackle an ambitious piece and share with your on-line buddies what you can play. That suggests you really want to get deeper into your guitar studies. I'm sure the more time you put in, the more you will be rewarded. Your take is way beyond anything I was expecting and I enjoyed it.

16. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    You should include @alainvey in the committee, because he's come out with some great ones (wherever he is...).

Part of my job used to be writing headlines, so I just think up silly titles for the fun of it. 'The Crocodile Tiaras Of The Duchess ' came out of nowhere yesterday. For that matter 'How Are You So Sure This is The Middle of Nowhere?' came to me when I typed 'nowhere' a moment ago. More convoluted, but straight off the top of my head: 'If You Don't Fix it Until It's Broke, You Might be Too Broke To Fix It'.

I suppose I quite like paradoxical statements. This is one that came to me a moment ago: I got an infinity pool, so you had to go one better...

knh555 likes this.

17. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Yeah. Where is @alainvey? Is life getting in the way? I know mine has lately.

18. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    You did it! We're always using the same notes, we just change the tone centers. It's very good start Omar.

Omar, Ebidis, knh555 and 1 other person like this.

19. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    he claims he's "camping in Wales"

alainvey likes this.

20. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Yeah, and we all know what that means!

Er.. I think it means he's gone to one of the most lovely but rainy parts of the UK armed with only a tent and a few other bits of kit. Wales is beautiful but I think I've just defined my idea of misery. It's been tipping it down here, so I reckon most camping sites in Wales look like a rock fest on a rainy day without the bands. :(

montemerrick likes this.