Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam 61 – Allman Bros

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Nov 6, 2017.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    circles, QMTstrat, TheDuck and 7 others like this.

2. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Thanks!

I did another one. It has more clams but I still like it better. Less gain too. Les Paul. All 47 who already listened, can listen again!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    circles, Ebidis, knh555 and 7 others like this.

3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    I went with my pine tele for this one.Thanks for listening.

Ebidis, knh555, montemerrick and 6 others like this.

4. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I'll be honest, this is harder than I thought, partly because I don't know the original. Also, I'm trying to read a series of screenshots I took from the YouTube video like PostIt notes, while I improv in Bb. How could that be hard at 1:00 in the morning? I think I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Jam 61.png

TheDuck, carolinaeasy and duzie like this.

5. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Wish I could say I was inebriated when I did this , but that wasn’t the case ...
    This is a nice backing track though!

circles, Ebidis, knh555 and 4 others like this.

6. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

maybe someday...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

7. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Funny that you went with less gain and I was just thinking I'd should've went with more gain for mine .Very nice second take . I especially liked how you've managed the chord changes starting at 2:45 , I found it to be bit tricky to manage.
    :

8. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I didn't hear any struggling.

9. bluestringer

bluestringer Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia
    I struggled with this. I don't know why since I've heard this song many times. This backing track seems a bit different though. I tried b flat minor pentatonic but it just didn't seem to fit, so I went with b flat major, which seemed better, but I still couldn't seem to get the tempo right.

10. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Well, there's more fluff in this than the average rug, but I gave it my best shot.

FWIW, this is my 335 into a G2D Cream Tone with just a dash of delay and reverb put on afterwards.

knh555, TheDuck and Mellencaster like this.

11. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @mjark – There is a lot of control, well as a great feel, in your take. It’s also very nicely structured, so it feels as if it’s ‘going somewhere'. Love the use of right hand tremolo around 2:15.

@Mellencaster – Pine has a lovely, fresh smell to it, and I discover it also has lovely, fresh chime! This take really is most pleasant to listen, and I imagine you know this song well, because you play with assurance.

@duzie – There are plenty of good melodic lines in your take, and your sense of timing is strong, which are the two main ingredients for any solo. There is a sense of interplay with the existing guitar part, which works well.

@montemerrick – If you were spitting nails in anger when you recorded this it doesn’t show, as the feel is more sorrowful than incandescent. Far from being ‘terrible’, it’s a very individual and nuanced narrative .

@bluestringer – I absolutely agree the feel of this track is predominantly major, but some of the changes really caught me out. You seemed to suffer no such problems, so no need to hang your head!

Mellencaster and montemerrick like this.

12. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I'm just trying to play with what I hear going on in the track. I don't know about 'control'. The major scale is certainly something you need here.

I wonder if this might have been better suited for a Challenge thread.

13. montemerrick

was I that bad...?:eek:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

14. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    will try to get around to this

simoncroft likes this.

15. montemerrick

thanks for you the listen Simon! that's more than i could give it! in fact, (not from @mjark ) i ended having the feeling (using my psychic senses rather than my ears) that i submitted something embarrassing and yanked it...

16. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Go again.

17. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I used the word 'control' because you are an accomplished player who uses a wide range of techniques, careful choice of tone, considered note selection and a polished delivery to create something that many others will enjoy listening to. :)

It is partly because not all our Weekly Jam participants have quite that skill-set yet, I'm inclined to agree that the version we went for was probably better suited to a Challenge, while the simple changes in the version put forward by @blasphemoustrat was probably better suited to the Weekly Jam. As I was part of that decision-making process, I accept responsibility for not attempting to play over the track until I'd put it on line.

That's when I realized how easily some of those changes can catch any of us out. :oops::oops::oops:

I agree with @mjark when it comes to having a second attempt, @montemerrick. My first attempt was so poor I didn't have anything I felt I could post, and the one I managed about 18 hours later is hardly going to become an internet sensation. If you have time, I have no doubt you can work some magic with those changes.

For the benefit of anyone who'd like to take part but finds the changes too tricky:
    Just say the word, and I'll post a simpler version of the track. The Weekly Jam only works if we can all have fun with the track. :thumb:

18. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    You're way too kind. I've just been at this for far too long. If anything I play sounds good credit my teacher and friend of many years Robert Fiester perhaps known here Tyrone Shuz. He's a wonderful guitarist and super teacher. He's given me way, way more than than I've ever had the fortitude to put into practice. I can't stress enough how valuable lessons from another competent guitarist are.

simoncroft likes this.

19. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    I’m going to keep this one in my daw and continue working on playing over these chord changes !
    I think it will be an excellent way to challenge myself and hopefully grow as a guitar player ...
    As I have read somewhere on this forum. I want to be the best me that I can be

Mellencaster, mjark and simoncroft like this.

20. montemerrick

well, board meeting tonight ended much earlier than i was expecting and so i did this. i'll confess i had to method act to get it... not saying it's good... just that i got it, to the extent that my acting skills allowed... if i was a better player maybe it would have been good... personally i can't get behind the idea that soulshine is better than rain, let alone moonshine.